• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I think the answer to this should be an obvious yes to my first question, but since it's Nintendo I'll ask. Are these cloud saves copies of a local save, or do you choose to save on the cloud instead of the local console?

Eh, that's really short period. PSN should have keep them for at least year.

Actually, they should just not charge you.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but here is where you are wrong, cause now where it says you data will be instantly deleted the moment it expires.

34d9c719f5.png

something, something, Piracy, entry points, save data modification
The dumbest things you could think of?
Switch is already full blown open, there's no going back. Saves had nothing to do with it and none of the current gen consoles got hacked through saves. It's the shittiest excuse ever.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan

Where is this magical number of yours? There is no amount of time they state.

They are basically saying hey your data can stay for 6 months or 1 day but its not on them.

I mean I don't think its gonna be erased in a day but they need to be specific and not some lawyer language to cover their own butts by saying if any happens to bad we told you we can't guarantee it.

Thargas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel it is also important to mention that Nintendo saying: 'your saves will stay in our cloud forever, even after your sub ends!' would be pretty stupid from a legal perspective.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I seem to missing something too. Putting aside the fact that it is stupid to charge for cloud saves, aren't your saves on your device anyway so if your sub lapses you still have the saves on your local device and then when you resub you reupload your saves to the cloud automatically?

Your argument is that not having cloud saves is fine because you still have local saves? What?

I don't believe you can upload your saves to the cloud and then delete them off of your device to save storage, correct?[/QUOTE]

"Deleting your local saves to save storage" is not the point of cloud saves. I mean, come on man, the Direct itself graphically explains the point of cloud saves by having a Thwomp crush a Switch.

I think actually literally every single company (like I said before) will delete your files if your account lapses for a long enough period of time (many like DropBox will send a warning they will be removing the files/account before doing so, but after enough time, they will delete it).

Microsoft and Steam don't have a sub that can lapse, so you're actually wrong there. And even Sony at least has "long enough period of time" be greater than zero, so mathematically speaking, that's still infinitely better.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Sure.

'We are not able to guarentee that your saves will be kept forever after your sub ends' =/= 'Your saves will be deleted after your sub ends'

The first implies that your saves will stay in the cloud for a significant amount of time after your sub ends, the second implies that they will actively delete your saves.

So then provide a definitive statement so that nothing needs to be implied at all.

'You have a 7 day grace period to renew your sub without risking your save data':

Or

'We cannot guarantee your saves will be retained for an 'extended timeframe'.

Which statement better arms the consumer with the information they need?

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The dumbest things you could think of?
Switch is already full blown open, there's no going back. Saves had nothing to do with it and none of the current gen consoles got hacked through saves. It's the shittiest excuse ever.

The kernel is still 100% undefeated, the hardware flaw was removed. You do not compromise new security because your partner company fucked up.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel it is also important to mention that Nintendo saying: 'your saves will stay in our cloud forever, even after your sub ends!' would be pretty stupid from a legal perspective.
So then provide a short term guarantee. You know, like other companies who offer paid cloud services do.

"Yeah we might keep them for a while - or not - but if we do who knows how long for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" is all we currently have.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but if your device fails that's the purpose of the cloud saves yeah?
Which is why you would maintain the sub? If you have home or car insurance and you let your policy lapse and something happens you are shit out of luck.

I'm still not seeing the big deal here, besides the fact that charging for cloud saves is stupid to begin with.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Not sure if this has already been posted, can't find anything on it?

So to keep your saves you have to keep your subscription up and running.

This is a stark comparison to Sony who keep your Cloud Saves for at least 6 months after your PS+ subscription lapses and Microsoft who offer free Cloud Saves to everyone regardless of subscription status.

Source
would you mind update the op with the NA FAQ? there seems to be a lot of misinformation running around

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22521/p/897

26351d6c4c.png

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But like WHY would you delete your local saves in the first place? You're not going to run out of space for your local saves. So basically this is only bad if you forget to resub Switch Online, and then your Switch breaks.

People are just pissed that they can't get their saves uploaded during the free trial and then have a free backup they can return to.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft and Steam don't have a sub that can lapse, so you're actually wrong there. And even Sony at least has "long enough period of time" be greater than zero, so mathematically speaking, that's still infinitely better.

So Microsoft and Steam both will keep your cloud saves for all eternity after you stop using the service? Like millions of years? They absolutely will never delete an inactive users data even decades after they abandoned their account?

Also, Sony's 6 months might not shorter than Nintendo's "extended period of time" or it might be, perhaps if someone asks them directly they may elaborate? I don't know. Not sure where greater than zero is coming from, clearly "extended period of time" doesn't mean mere hours or a single day, unless you're being obtuse about it.

Thargas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So then provide a definitive statement so that nothing needs to be implied at all.

'You have a 7 day grace period to renew your sub without risking your save data':

Or

'We cannot guarantee your saves will be retained for an 'extended timeframe'.

Which statement better arms the consumer with the information they need?
I mean, they could indeed mention a specific grace period to make it more clear, but they probably don't even have any.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Your argument is that not having cloud saves is fine because you still have local saves? What?

I don't believe you can upload your saves to the cloud and then delete them off of your device to save storage, correct?

Still not seeing the issue. If you are using the cloud saves for insurance, which is why you would use cloud saves, then you would make sure your sub doesn't lapse.

I'm open to opinions here, I'm not being closed minded. I'm just not getting the outrage. The main outrage should be on the fact that it is behind the paywall. Steam and xbox do this right.

Mazzo

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
"However, if you keep the Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online save data saved locally on your Nintendo Switch console, then you can use it again if you purchase another membership."

Thank GOD!

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Microsoft and Steam both will keep your cloud saves for all eternity after you stop using the service? Like millions of years? They absolutely will never delete an inactive users data even decades after they abandoned their account?

Also, Sony's 6 months might not shorter than Nintendo's "extended period of time" or it might not, perhaps if someone asks them directly they may elaborate? I don't know. Not sure where greater than zero is coming from, clearly "extended period of time" doesn't mean mere hours or a single day, unless you're being obtuse about it.
Millions of years maybe not (since godknows if Valve will even exist then, or the earth for that matter), but I've still got steam cloud saves basically from the date Valve started offering the service. They will still be there even if I don't use Steam for months or years. This is a standard service on PC that everybody provides.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
This is such a double-edged sword situation.

If we pay for the service

Nintendo: "Great, users love our service!" - Nothing changes

If we refuse to subscribe

Nintendo: "Switch users are not interested in online services." - Nothing changes

Just the kind of thinking Nintendo does, or at least, in PR. I just have a hard time understanding Nintendo when it comes to online services, its just so bewildering how many steps behind they are from the competition, hell, even includes Apple and Google to a degree.

The sub model is too profitable for them to give up at the first attempt. I'd hope that this offering might be similar to what PS Plus was initially as it was only after a poor reception that Sony raised the stakes and turned it into a service that was difficult to turn down.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But like WHY would you delete your local saves in the first place? You're not going to run out of space for your local saves. So basically this is only bad if you forget to resub Switch Online, and then your Switch breaks.

People are just pissed that they can't get their saves uploaded during the free trial and then have a free backup they can return to.
What about those huge save files that take up over 1GB of space? I would absolutely want to remove those from my system given the limited space available on the Switch.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The kernel is still 100% undefeated, the hardware flaw was removed. You do not compromise new security because your partner company fucked up.
Unless you are extremely incompetent, you are not compromising your security by allowing save backups. Vita didn't get hacked through saves. PS3 didn't get hacked through saves. PS4 didn't get hacked through saves. Is Nintendo really so incompetent they can't accomplish the same?

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
Except that pokemon bank has a grace period and supports pokemon... Nintendo cloud saves manage to do neither of those things.
the pokebank will delete your save after 2 weeks, however some people said the save was kept for several months after the sub ended.
and some people reported the save was deleted after 1-2 days.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I hate that that's an excuse.
but is their official stand, what do ya want me to do?

I saw that, and that means what exactly? What's an extended period of time? A day? A week? A month? Why can't they specify that info?
you tell me, but is not the "instantly deleted if you dont pay if NOW" that most of the complains are about

People keep posting this as if it's some "gotcha, Nintendo will keep your saves!" when all it actually says is there's no guarantee what they will do with it.

The OP is about cloud saves. Yes we know you get to keep your local saves. That's not the point.

At least the UK statement is fucking detailed.
then show me where does it say it will be delated instantly after the subscription dies of, cause that part is what keeps this thread rallying

Switch is already full blown open, there's no going back.
you are factually wrong. yea sure, if you have any of the early on models of the one before 5.0.0 FW, new models fixed teh Nvidia exploit and beyond FW 5.0.0 there is not software exploit iirc.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
This is really a stupid decision, there needs to be at least a 1 month guaranteed grace period FFS, not some vague time in the future.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Which is why you would maintain the sub? If you have home or car insurance and you let your policy lapse and something happens you are shit out of luck.

I'm still not seeing the big deal here, besides the fact that charging for cloud saves is stupid to begin with.

My home insurance has a 30 day policy of coverage after the renewal due date before it lapses. I don't know how it works where you live and what company you have your possessions if any. But anyways, I don't think that's an apples to apples so not barking up that tree any further.

As I said previously, there may be perfectly valid financial reasons for someone to not be able to renew IMMEDIATELY when their sub is due to relapse. Would you agree that a grace period specified in clear language is better for the consumer, instead of 'can't guarantee extended timeframes' which is a fairly vacuous statement ? I'm just advocating for better communication, I don't see why that's a bad thing.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They need to define the grace period so people can stop filling in the blanks with their worst fears.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can only assume that they're not using actual servers but are manually transferring your saves to leftover Wii U systems for storage.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Unless you are extremely incompetent, you are not compromising your security by allowing save backups. Vita didn't get hacked through saves. PS3 didn't get hacked through saves. PS4 didn't get hacked through saves. Is Nintendo really so incompetent they can't accomplish the same?

It's not the saves, Switch saves are 100% secure. It's nVidia's hardware access for PC that is the issue. Too many flaws in the way Tegra works to allow Horizon any direct PC access.

Genuinely, nVidia has comical levels of fuckery going on in the X1 chip.