• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
So the real discussion here, is what is Nintendo actually doing right? The more we learn about this service with all of its caveats, the less in-touch Nintendo sounds. I still can't believe they made no (visible) efforts to back-track on the phone-app-only voice chat. If they have a reason, they should make it clear instead of continuing to patronize folks with statements about how great and "convenient" the app is.

The single quality part of the service is the NES games, and I know not everybody feels this way, but most NES games are just a tad too dated for me to really care. SNES is where I'd start to pay a lot of attention.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Its surprising that they dont hold it for some time after the subscription ends, but i think you have to be really unlucky for the system to break down, or gets lost or stolen at the same time as the subscription ends.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
My least favorite is the requirement for a weekly check-in to play NES games offline. :/

Well we had people on this board defend Denuvo without exact knowing what it does to the legal consumer, all disadvantages.

So congrats Switch owners, an even worse Denuvo is perfect for the Switch.

Nintendo never ceases to amaze me when it comes to ruining one's online experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Emulation can't come soon enough, then I'll be able to do whatever the hell I can with my saves.

I'm seriously just buying this crap to play Dragon Marked For Death and Smash U online, but the service in general just sounds awful.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
I mean sure they could leave it for a certain period of time like Sony do, but why are people acting like your saves are going to be lost forever if you forget to sub when you still have them on your device if that happened which will back up again when you do re-sub?

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Because Nintendo does not research how other on-line services are structured.

Devs from the WiiU time actually said that Nintendo send them emails stating that ~ "they should not refer to the functionality of other gaming on-line services because they do not know about them".

They work in their own bubble.
Ah so this is why Splatoon's online is so bad.

This is incredibly dumb.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
They're not going to depete the saves from your system, just the backup copies on their servers.

Seriously it's like people are trying to misinterpret things in the worst way possible sometimes. There's plenty to complain about with the actual offerings, people need to actually read the details of these things instead of just assuming the worst possible interpretation and doing an acrobatic pirouette off the handle immediately after reading headlines.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Considering Microsoft is a giant company which has cloud/data storage as one of their main business lines, they can probably do that more cheaply/efficiently then Nintendo can and eat the cost if that means they can target you better with ads or get your e-mail to spam you with Office 365 stuff.

Nintendo should provide what Sony does, however.
That's still not an excuse for the cloud save being dependent on the game and not handled by the system.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
DnDrKgYX4AEbrW_.jpg

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
This is fucking stupid. The very least thing they could do would be to keep your saves but you can only access them with a NSO subscription

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They're not going to depete the saves from your system, just the backup copies on their servers.

Seriously it's like people are trying to misinterpret things in the worst way possible sometimes. There's plenty to complain about with the actual offerings, people need to actually read the details of these things instead of just assuming the worst possible interpretation and doing an acrobatic pirouette off the handle immediately after reading headlines.
We are not misintepreting, we are upset about them deleting the backup codes in their servers.
Theres no way to back up save data on your switch without this, so its terrible.

Dee Bill

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Microsoft still does it best. No hassle, no problems. Just login with your account on any console and bam, continue playing where you left.

Sony's cloud saves system isn't bad but you have to do it manually.

Nintendo is just the worst. I wasn't impressed at all with their unveiling of the Switch Online, even for 20$ a year.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Have they said what happens to free 2 play games ? Did they take the shitty ms route and lock you behind a paywall , or the sony route and let you play f2p games without subscriptions ?

kitsuneyo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
But if you were to re-subscribe, your latest saves would be uploaded at the beginning of that subscription? So what is lost?

If your Switch breaks when you aren't subscribed, you lose your saves. Nintendo doesn't have a backup of your outdated saves from when you were subscribed previously... but that's how I would expect a paid cloud save service to work.

What's the issue?

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Emulation can't come fast enough, then I'll be able to do whatever the hell I can with my saves.

I'm seriously just buying this crap to play Dragon Marked For Death and Smash U online, but the service in general just sounds awful.

Then they got you. It doesn't matter how you feel about a service if you're going to end up supporting it for a unrelated reason.

I say that as a person who's curious to Nintendo's reaction if not many signs up for this service and the player base for their games like Splatoon and Mario Kart dies off immediately. It's not worth it so I'm not supporting it.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017

That's what i read, and it's still not how you implement a cloud save feature correctly.
Cloud saves are there to prevent loss of data in unforseen situations. Deleting said data without a generous grace period kind of defeats the purpose.

LOL

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Think about it. You're going on a 2 weeks cruise with no internet. Wanna play some sweet little NES games after a week? NOPE!

Then you notice that your online subscription will expedite during that time frame. That means all your Breath of the Wild progress in Nintendo's cloud will be gone. And then your Switch falls overboard.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo knows that people will buy it either way so they don't really care. It's a shame though that they launch a paid service after so many years and that service feels so archaic.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony also have cloud saves behind a paywall. It's an already shitty practice that Nintendo have managed to transcend somehow.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doesn't have a backup of your outdated saves from when you were subscribed previously... but that's how I would expect a paid cloud save service to work.
Microsoft, Valve, GOG, EA, and Ubisoft all offer free cloud saves.
The only other paid cloud save service is Sony's, and they keep your outdated saves for 6 months. Nintendo don't even offer this.

Why would you expect worse than literally the entire rest of the competition?

Oct 30, 2017
Because Nintendo does not research how other on-line services are structured.

Devs from the WiiU time actually said that Nintendo send them emails stating that ~ "they should not refer to the functionality of other gaming on-line services because they do not know about them".

They work in their own bubble.

Which is maddening because the Wii U's Online was fine. It was several big steps in the right direction for Nintendo's online services. Messaging, friends list, unified account names.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
More reasons for me to not get that subscription service.

Oct 25, 2017
Then they got you. It doesn't matter how you feel about a service if you're going to end up supporting it for a unrelated reason.

I say that as a person who's curious to Nintendo's reaction if not many signs up for this service and the player base for their games like Splatoon and Mario Kart dies off immediately. It's not worth it so I'm not supporting it.

They got me for like a month, I'm not paying for PS plus right now for example, I only get it when I'm actually playing a game online, and this has made me pretty much almost an exclusive PC gamer for online games because.... IT'S FREE, and usually better.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...So you just start paying then upload saves again.

The only way this is truly bad is a case where your subscription lapses and you destroy your Switch in the time it takes you to realise you haven't renewed. How many people is that realistically going to happen to?

not too many probably, but most people won't care right now, wait for them to calm down. also it's not like you just conveniently forgot to pay. hopefully nintendo gives you a notification when it's about to lapse

Monkeyball

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 19, 2018
Nintendo should hire a panel of Nintendo cynics and run every decision by them. If more than 3 say "Nintendo gonna Nintnedo", go back to the drawing board.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017