• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure that you lose the saves immediately when the subscription lapses? This could just be poor messaging on Nintendo's part.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
And there's me jumping in to Xbox One for the first time this generation last November with the X launch.. and finding that most of my old XBLA and digital 360 games were already there available via BC, waiting and ready to install for no additional charge, and (I'm getting there) more relevant to this thread, complete with cloud saves so I could continue where I left off 5+ years prior during a previous generation no less!

Quite why it's such a struggle for Nintendo to keep the cloud saves outside of the paid subscription is beyond me. They've basically got you trapped in to their subscription service though as a result.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
DnDrKgYX4AEbrW_.jpg
We should send this pic and our complaints to Nintendo so maybe they can fix it quickly

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Even though it's cheap, I'm not subbing to this shit. Nintendo had a lot of time to launch this thing properly and they (unsurprisingly) missed a big opportunity. Nintendo will remain my side system for the single player games and local multiplayer, but fuck paying money for a shitty subscription with NES games I already bought 3 or 4 times.

Dec 23, 2017
The switch has convinced be that Nintendo will NEVER be able to release a complete console gaming experience. They always find a way to fuck it up. Even when there are plain as day examples that have been in front of them for years. Baffling! They are fucking stupid at times.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, what the fuck
Reminds me of the Pokémon Bank erasing all your Pokémon if you don't resub in time, so dumb o_o
The funny thing is PokeBank doesn't even do that. I once forgot to pay for like 4 months after the expiration date, and when I finally did all my mons were still there. No idea how long they will keep them, but they didn't erase anything by the time I subscribed again.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
They're still saved locally on your Switch
Basically don't break your Switch and let your subscription lapse at the same time and you should be good

Oh. This doesn't seem that bad. Basically, your saves are only backed up if you're paying for the service, otherwise it's back to the hardware saves.

Edit: I feel like this should go in the OP so that people don't get their panties in a bunch and assume (like I did) that once you cancel, you lose everything. That doesn't seem to be the case. The cloud service is just a back up for what's on your hardware and is gone if you stop paying for it, but your saves still exist on the hardware.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Lol

This is supposed to be a "Service" that you pay for?

UGH they are so much cheaper and still offer the least value for the dollar

What a joke

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Nintendo should hire a panel of Nintendo cynics and run every decision by them. If more than 3 say "Nintendo gonna Nintnedo", go back to the drawing board.
they will never get anything sone unless they bribe someone to 1:1 S or M systems cause aparently that what people want, but for the 20$ (4.50$) price point

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Just resubscribe and have your save data uploaded?

Unless you aren't connected to the internet for a long period time for whatever reason, this doesn't seem much of an issue.

My comment was aimed at using cloud to save room. Like on other platforms with cloud, i delete my saves on the hardware. You really don't have that choice on switch with their cloud service.

Uzume

Oct 30, 2017
Cloud storage come at a cost. Not everyone has their own cloud service like Microsoft.
Nintendo is just like usual trying to save money on online features. Just give me a local save backup feature and I'm totally OK.

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo, just give us a proper local backup method for saves like everyone else and this isn't an issue.

It never ceases to amaze how people can continue to defend Nintendo's consistent bad policies / services.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine accidentally forgetting to pay and losing all your saves forever.

Or having your credit card number change because of a fraud alert and you forget to update it in your Nintendo account because it was the 7,014th place you had to change, so the payment gets declined and you lose all your saves forever.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing is PokeBank doesn't even do that. I once forgot to pay for like 4 months after the expiration date, and when I finally did all my mons were still there. No idea how long they will keep them, but they didn't erase anything by the time I subscribed again.
I heard it's pretty random, some people had their Pokémon deleted immediately, some after a few weeks, and then there are cases like you where they were still there after months. I didn't wanna take my chances so I put all my Pokémon in my Moon game until I'm gonna need to sub again for new games.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
They need to introduce a grace period. But cloud storage costs $$$ guys, so I didn't expect Nintendo to indefinitely keep expired game saves in the cloud. But immediately after expiration is too sudden. 30 days is enough. Still don't care about offilne save backups as they're a hassle to keep updated (at least on the PS3/PS4). Nobody truly gets this right except for Microsoft, for obvious reasons.

Oct 29, 2017
Fuck I just realized I lost all my PS4 backup. :(

Maybe not. A little known tip for PS+ is you can usually get a one time free 2 Day trial by going to the cloud saves section in the settings and trying to turn it on. I would suggest trying this (if you haven't done it before, it probably only works once) and then checking if you can get your saves back.

I did this recently and downloaded all my PS+ saves to a USB drive to back them up. Before activating the 2 day trial I hadn't had PS+ for over 6 months so it's not an automatic thing that they're gone. I expect they do delete them eventually though so it may depend on just how long ago you last had PS+

Last edited:

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heard it's pretty random, some people had their Pokémon deleted immediately, some after a few weeks, and then there are cases like you where they were still there after months. I didn't wanna take my chances so I put all my Pokémon in my Moon game until I'm gonna need to sub again for new games.
Damn, didn't know it was random. Now I'm gonna check the expiration date often, so I don't forget. That sucks.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
There's a lot more about the service (good and bad) that I dug up here:

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/new...e-multiplayer-nes-cloud-saves-faq-1202942042/

My least favorite is the requirement for a weekly check-in to play NES games offline. :/
Why is this a problem? It's a Netflix-like thing. If I want to watch a movie on Netflix, I have to be connected to the internet. You can download stuff on Netflix but you can't watch that indefinitely after downloading it either. You're paying for a service and Nintendo needs to check if you still own a license to that service. It's not that weird. Besides, there is internet everywhere these days and iirc the Switch connects automatically to WiFi-points it's been connected to before. And if you really want to play some games and you haven't had your Switch on for more than a week, just use your phone as a hotspot or visit a local McDonalds or something. I don't understand the complaints about this.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
My least favorite is the requirement for a weekly check-in to play NES games offline. :/

That said it would be very simple to reconnect your Switch to the Internet at any point really so while it's annoying it should ultimately be a non-issue in the end. Question is if its going to be a non-issue in the end why do it in first place? Maybe to make partners happy and to show they are providing adequate security since hacking and dumping of roms has been an issue with Nintendo hardware in the past?

I will say this. I did not expect third party NES games to be showing up. I thought they would limit things to first party offerings. If third party games are apart of this and if they expand this to SNES games, etc maybe some extra assurances needed to be given I think. Cause these are extra added steps to the process. It would have been easier to not include something like this I think.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that they actually seem to have working voice chat in place makes this more infuriating, lmao

Nintendo giving their best to make me not really care about seriously engaging in online gaming on their platform
Baby steps I must say. Really awful service. Its like 'better than nothing' sittuation all over again.

Skronk

Nov 22, 2017
not too many probably, but most people won't care right now, wait for them to calm down. also it's not like you just conveniently forgot to pay. hopefully nintendo gives you a notification when it's about to lapse

Your right, people aren't thinking straight. I think most people are thinking that all the saves on your system get deleted if you stop paying which is not what's happening at all.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
This is so bad. I hope they send you big fat warning before your sub expires. Nintendo, what are you doing...

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Are we sure that you lose the saves immediately when the subscription lapses? This could just be poor messaging on Nintendo's part.

Very logical question. People seem okay with Sony giving you 6 months to renew it, and I know you can back up locally. Still I wonder if Nintendo immediately deletes it or is this just crappy communication.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
So if my sub has lapsed and my console suddenly bricks, I'm screwed. I wonder who comes up with shit like this, because whoever it is does not have the consumer in mind.

Nintendo (and Sony) should offer the same Microsoft and PC clients like Steam, Origin and Uplay does, which is 100% free cloud storage.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
its like they totally ignored what the rest of the industry was doing and just brought it back to 2001 where they had no idea how online should work for a system.

kitsuneyo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Microsoft, Valve, GOG, EA, and Ubisoft all offer free cloud saves.
The only other paid cloud save service is Sony's, and they keep your outdated saves for 6 months. Nintendo don't even offer this.

Why would you expect worse than literally the entire rest of the competition?
Because we already knew it was a paid service, so there's nothing new here.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Imagine accidentally forgetting to pay and losing all your saves forever.

Or having your credit card number change because of a fraud alert and you forget to update it in your Nintendo account because it was the 7,014th place you had to change, so the payment gets declined and you lose all your saves forever.

This won't happen. You'll just lose your backups. Your save data will still be on your machine, but not backed up.