• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not sure if this has already been posted, can't find anything on it?
Q. After my Nintendo Switch Online subscription expires, will my Save Data Cloud files and Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online save data be erased?

A. Save data stored with Save Data Cloud cannot be kept outside of the duration of your Nintendo Switch Online membership. Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online also uses the Save Data Cloud, so the same applies. However, if you keep the Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online save data saved locally on your Nintendo Switch console, then you can use it again if you purchase another membership.

So to keep your saves you have to keep your subscription up and running.

This is a stark comparison to Sony who keep your Cloud Saves for at least 6 months after your PS+ subscription lapses and Microsoft who offer free Cloud Saves to everyone regardless of subscription status.

Source

MOD EDIT:
Update from Nintendo NA Support Page.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22521/p/897

Is my save data retained if I cancel my Nintendo Switch Online membership?
We are unable to guarantee that cloud save data will be retained after an extended period of time from when your membership is ended. However, you can continue to use the save data that is saved to your system memory.

Last edited by a moderator:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Seems pointless to me. I regularly come off and on Plus just to transfer saves across systems.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No way to locally back up your save games without hacking.
Need to pay for cloud saves.
Cloud saves are lost if you ever let your subscription end.

What a fucking joke of an offering. At least hacking is a thing, thanks Nvidia for the exploit.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
Awful if true, I would expect for them to at least keep the saves for a limited time like Sony does.

Bouniter

Oct 25, 2017
Good Job Nintendo you are killing it with your online service

Yes this is sarcasm.

And you guys said it "wasn't as bad as we feared".

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This entire thing is a fucking farce. What the hell is wrong with Nintendo?

It's making me seriously reconsider getting a Switch next tax season.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
that's really pointless for some people atleast Sony keep it for half a year and MS didn't put it behind a pay wall....

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wait, they erase your saves if your sub drops? Yeesh. Is there a way to back up saves just in case?

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely see this biting someone in the ass if their Switch broke and the sub expired before they bought a new one.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Eh, it's not as if they cant reevaluate this and add some gap time.

The price point is so low the amount I give a shit about this is also low.

Lots of leeway for them to address things.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So if your card expired that you would normally use to renew your subscription, for example, they won't give you a grace period? And you still can't do offline backups to an SD card or flash drive?

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Once you transfer save data to the cloud service, Nintendo gets to hold it hostage for as long as you continue to pay.
I suppose you could always transfer the saves back, but that just defeats the purpose.

Baffling. Truly baffling.

1080peace

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_oshzt0nUPs1u7bbkho1_400.gif

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
Well this continues to be shitty. I mean, i'll have to put up with it because I regularly play my games online, and don't want to lose that feature, but in no way is it justified for Nintendo (or any of the 3 imo) to make you pay to play games online, no matter how many "perks" they throw at you.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I already lost my saves twice on Switch because of how shit they are at everything besides games, so I guess I'm used to this by now

JUST FUCKING HIRE SOMEONE

USE THE INTERNET

COPY MICROSOFT OR SONY FFS