• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Why is there an expectation for Nintendo to retain cloud storage outside of a paid active subscription though? This screams entitlement. Sure, I enjoy this benefit as a subscriber of PS+, but wouldn't be upset if Sony didn't have that privilege as I wasn't paying for the storage at that point. The flaw of the Switch's save system remains that there's still no offline way to backup save data, but expecting free cloud data storage after a expired subscription is a bit much. And it's been implied it's deleted after a "extended" period of time per the NA site, not immediately.

Rewrite this post after you reread the thread and realize you weren't talking about what we are talking about.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to say anything other then this. Its $20 a year, or way cheaper if you do a family pack (which Era could do a thread on)

It's not that much. The people saying "lol well I guess I won't pay for it"

Sure, but then you won't have any cloud saves. And trust me you will regret not paying a very cheap price if you lose your saves.
No, I will regret having bought a system that doesn't let me backup my saves properly if I lose them. What I won't regret is not paying for the shittiest of services ever.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who updated the OP title? That is not what Nintendo NA has written at all.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mod edit title doesn't agree with Nintendo NA's statement at all. In fact their statement says almost the exact opposite.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously whoever edited the OP title is spreading misinformation.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK PR on this is very direct about the saves getting nuked immediately (underline emphasis mine):

"Save data stored with Save Data Cloud cannot be kept outside of the duration of your Nintendo Switch Online membership. "

US PR is very similar (again underline emphasis mine):

"Save data stored via the Save Data Cloud backup is available for as long as you have an active Nintendo Switch Online membership."

The only wishy-washy comment comes from the Variety article in question:

"Nintendo also notes that it can't "guarantee" that cloud save data will be retained after an "extended period of time" from when a membership is ended and local save data backups remain unsupported on the Switch, though it sounds like that could change in the future."

This isn't an insight issue here. Nintendo official PR says your saves are gone when your sub lapses.

I think there's a stark difference between "data cannot be kept" and "data gets immediately deleted". I work for a company that sells a SaaS package and we have multiple warnings about certain types of data being removed once deleted. However, the actual purge takes place at the beginning of every moth, so it's not immediate.

Personally, I don't think the FAQ is clear as to when data gets erased. That said, it certainly doesn't seem to say it gets erased form online storage immediately.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, if you are going to change the title, change it to NA Nintendo's wishiwashy message

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
Am I missing something? The NA FAQ does not contradict the UK FAQ at all, I'm not sure why everyone is bringing it up as a contradiction to the UK's answer.

After my Nintendo Switch Online subscription expires, will my Save Data Cloud files and Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online save data be erased?

UK FAQ:

Save data stored with Save Data Cloud cannot be kept outside of the duration of your Nintendo Switch Online membership.

NA FAQ:

Save data stored via the Save Data Cloud backup is available for as long as you have an active Nintendo Switch Online membership.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I can read, thank you.

• We are unable to guarantee that cloud save data will be retained after an extended period of time from when your membership is ended.

• Cloud Saves are retained for an extended period after your subscription expires

Those are not the same thing. It is complete misinformation to claim otherwise, and the mod who edited the title to spread misinformation needs to do better.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

• We are unable to guarantee that cloud save data will be retained after an extended period of time from when your membership is ended.

• Cloud Saves are retained for an extended period after your subscription expires

Those are not the same thing. It is complete misinformation to claim otherwise.

you people just want to be right on your freaking overeaction

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But why edit it as if it's clear thing Nintendo said two different things on the same issue
I didn't edit, there is clearly some conflicting messages here and maybe the thread title could allude to that.

Those are not the same thing. It is complete misinformation to claim otherwise, and the mod who edited the title to spread misinformation needs to do better.

I don't see a big difference. In both cases an extended amount of period will have passed, but it's unclear how long this period is.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Welp, the Direct obviously didn't serve its purpose very well if there is still confusion over how the online works.

Flabber

Oct 31, 2017
I never "jailbreaked" anything.

I hooked the Switch to the computer and backed up my save through a cable that I charge the controllers with.

Yes, it was really that simple.

Gimme, gimme, gimme. Woe is me, woe is me.
Hey dude, don't suppose you could explain how this works then? I had a quick google but couldn't see anything that didn't require home brew.

As for "gimme, gimme, gimme", being able to locally back up saves has been a standard feature for a few generations now - you could back saves up to SD cards on Wii, Wii U, and most 3DS games, and it's hard to argue that it hasn't been dropped just so they can sell their online subscription service with cloud saves.

OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't appreciate people insinuating I refused to update the OP to cause a shitstorm. I've just finished work, I would've updated the OP when home. (Which I will do later).

Regardless, what I posted was not incorrect given the information from Nintendo UK.

Their FAQ clearly says they do not exist outside of the subscription period.

Save data stored with Save Data Cloud cannot be kept outside of the duration of your Nintendo Switch Online Membership.

There is a clear discrepancy between Nintendo US and Nintendo UK's messaging.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But why edit it as if it's clear thing Nintendo said two different things on the same issue

Title edit doesn't make sense, but I don't see where Nintendo said two different things. One statement says that you cannot access cloud backup data once your subscription lapses, the other says that they don't promise the data will be retained for an extended period of time after you lapse.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do people actually read what they're posting? It says here:

Additionally, we are unable to guarantee that cloud save data will be retained after an extended period of time from when your membership is ended.
So you're saying Nintendo claim save data backup won't be deleted until after an extended amount of time? Wow, I can also read!

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
So you're saying Nintendo claim save data backup won't be deleted until after an extended amount of time? Wow, I can also read!
Yeah, the title is correct. The problem is we don't know what an extended period of time means.

Ugh now the title is worse. NA said there was some unknown amount of extended time, after which cloud saves would be deleted.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Whichever mod made the edit needs to come out. It's ridiculous that this website doesn't tell users which mod made a mod edit.

In any case, I'd probably set the title OP to "Nintendo NA: 'cannot guarantee' saves are retained after subscription ends". Doesn't mean they are deleted, but it doesn't mean they are kept either.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
For those curious about Nintendo (NCL)'s answer to this question:

Q:「Nintendo Switch Online」の利用期間の終了後、預けたセーブデータは消えてしまいますか?
Q: After 'Nintendo Switch Online' service period is over, is the collected save data erased?

A:「セーブデータお預かり」でお預かりしたセーブデータは、「Nintendo Switch Online」ご利用期間外の保管は保証いたしかねます。
A: We cannot guarantee the safe keeping of collected save data outside the 'Nintendo Switch Online' service period.

This seems pretty standard fare. They don't actively toss your data, but they also don't actively protect it.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think they really could be more clear. "We are unable to guarantee that cloud save data will be retained after an extended period of time from when your membership is ended.". They are really unable to guarantee 100% that you won't lose your data even if you continue to pay. Very unlikely, but I'm sure it's not impossible that Nintendo storage gets FUBAR. So I understand why they can legally promise that they are going to keep my data forever, no matter what. But something like "After 6 months since your membership is ended, we will move your data to a less safe, cheaper storage and we will be unable to guarantee that it will be available once you choose to renewal your membership", would be more reassuring and useful.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Whichever mod made the edit needs to come out. It's ridiculous that this website doesn't tell users which mod made a mod edit.

In any case, I'd probably set the title OP to "Nintendo NA: 'cannot guarantee' saves are retained after subscription ends". Doesn't mean they are deleted, but it doesn't mean they are kept either.

1: I did the current one and edited the OP
2: Y'all need to chill
3: The wording on this is hella vague and it made editing the title harder since 'extended period of time' wouldn't fit

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I hope a Nintendo source can clarify (even if it's just to say that they're still setting up the data policy) sooner than later.

(Second mod edit to the title appreciated!)