• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Do people actually read what they're posting? It says here:

Additionally, we are unable to guarantee that cloud save data will be retained after an extended period of time from when your membership is ended.
The contention is "after an extended period of time". The implication there being it is stored for an extended period of time.

Hopefully we can get clarification on what that period is. For Sony it's 6 months.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those curious about Nintendo (NCL)'s answer to this question:

This seems pretty standard fare. They don't actively toss your data, but they also don't actively protect it.

I'm glad that common sense prevailed at Nintendo. It would be kind of insane from a customer standpoint, and a server standpoint to purge that data every time a subscription lapses. It's much easier from a data management standpoint to do a purge maybe once a month for all data that is older than X weeks/months without a sub.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying Nintendo claim save data backup won't be deleted until after an extended amount of time? Wow, I can also read!

You mean the part where it says "We are unable to guarantee"? That part isnt in the OP is it?

Golly Gee Wilikers, I guess I'm better at reading and being condesending than you! Strange isnt it?

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thread title is better, but the NA support page is still pretty clear we're not talking about a day 1 delete, but rather after an extended period of time. UK was more unclear here though. Optimally Nintendo verifies it more properly.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
This seems pretty standard fare. They don't actively toss your data, but they also don't actively protect it.

Yup, there's going to be some sort of CRON jobs running on the servers that automatically take care of checking and handling subscription status and stored saves. Guess those are kicking in at different times on different servers so that it's impossible for them to give a reliable timeframe until saves are removed after subscription ends.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a stark difference between "data cannot be kept" and "data gets immediately deleted". I work for a company that sells a SaaS package and we have multiple warnings about certain types of data being removed once deleted. However, the actual purge takes place at the beginning of every moth, so it's not immediate.

Personally, I don't think the FAQ is clear as to when data gets erased. That said, it certainly doesn't seem to say it gets erased form online storage immediately.

That's the rub right there, we don't know how it works.

If it works like you say (a scheduled job per month to clear out saves of lapsed service accounts) and your lapse happens at an inopportune time, your cloud saves could be nuked darn near instantaneously.

In reality\practice most people are probably not going to experience this, but it's possible.

The grace period, if any, needs to be very clearly defined and communicated. As it stands right now the communicated grace period is 0.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those curious about Nintendo (NCL)'s answer to this question:

For me it sounds that they have timely server cleanups of data that is not from subscribers , which means that could be 1 day after your subscription ends or 2 weeks.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
This thread is insane. If I had a nickel for every save I've lost over the last 35 years of gaming, I'd be a rich man. I shed no tears over any of them. Life went on.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the rub right there, we don't know how it works.

If it works like you say (a scheduled job per month to clear out saves of lapsed service accounts) and your lapse happens at an inopportune time, your cloud saves could be nuked darn near instantaneously.

In reality\practice most people are probably not going to experience this, but it's possible.

The grace period, if any, needs to be very clearly defined and communicated. As it stands right now the communicated grace period is 0.

I'd argue that the communicated grace period right now is "?".

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
So you're saying Nintendo claim save data backup won't be deleted until after an extended amount of time? Wow, I can also read!
I mean, this was mostly in response to the thread title that wasn't correct at all previously. You can read the quote in a way that implies it will be kept for an extended time and then who knows what will happen, the other FAQs imply that it's only during the subscription period. Confusing stuff, I hope Nintendo can clarify.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
No need to because I've addressed the outrage in this thread, which is the expectation of cloud saves still being present with an expired subscription.
Well the first post I read from you was your third. I don't know why you decided to get whiny and obtuse there but I can see now from your post history you actually get it but decided to lash out for some reason

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
"Hey man, I see that you haven't subscribed back in 3 months.."

*hold finger over delete all cloud saves button

"It be a shame if something were to happen to these saves if you didn't subscribe back to us..."

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
For me it sounds that they have timely server cleanups of data that is not from subscribers , which means that could be 1 day after your subscription ends or 2 weeks.

No idea, it could be lazy cleanup too, and only recover storage when needed for new saves from paying customers. Either way, I wouldn't expect them to guarantee the safety of my data if I'm not paying them to do so.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder how much money they're saving by deleting saves from lapsed customers. I can't imagine it averages more than 100MB/user, which is cheap as shit to store long term (especially if they use AWS Glacier or something)

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Hey man, I see that you haven't subscribed back in 3 months.."

*hold finger over delete all cloud saves button

"It be a shame if something were to happen to these saves if you didn't subscribe back to us..."

dont worry fam, i still got them locally on my switch, go ahead delete them

KITPUNK

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The sub model is too profitable for them to give up at the first attempt. I'd hope that this offering might be similar to what PS Plus was initially as it was only after a poor reception that Sony raised the stakes and turned it into a service that was difficult to turn down.

Yeah, that's what I'm kinda hoping too. Poor reception leads them to make it a more tantalizing service.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
But you weren't paying a service to keep them
Here's a tip... you still don't have to!

Even if you pay for the service, THEY ARE KEEPING THEM! They just can't guarantee they'll keep them if you quit the service! Well, hey, if I'm not paying, why should they? I'm not paying!

This thread is insanity. It's a clear sign of the wacko endtimes that began in 2016. I expect nukes to drop any day now. Good Lord.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I'd expect nothing less from Nintendo. They always have to be weird. Why can't y'all just be normal for once? Lol

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a tip... you still don't have to!

Even if you pay for the service, THEY ARE KEEPING THEM! They just can't guarantee they'll keep them if you quit the service! Well, hey, if I'm not paying, why should they? I'm not paying!

This thread is insanity. It's a clear sign of the wacko endtimes that began in 2016. I expect nukes to drop any day now. Good Lord.
Hmmmmmm

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the memory cards on PS1 and PS2 were not exactly free o3o
Neither are USB sticks or hard drives today. Which are still an option if you want a local backup of saves on non-Nintendo devices, by the way.

Nearly all modern devices do better with providing services, rather than physical products, to overcome the problems of systems nearly 20 years old already. Of these services, Nintendo's is the worst.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is insane. If I had a nickel for every save I've lost over the last 35 years of gaming, I'd be a rich man. I shed no tears over any of them. Life went on.

The difference is that this is a service.

For example, I dont get mad if I mess up my shoes when I am cleaning them, but If I pay you to clean my shoes and you mess them up without any way of reimbursing me then we will have to fight (In court).You shouldnt be taking money if you dont know what you are doing, and by that same token, I shouldnt be giving you money if you dont know what you are doing.

Looking at this mess and determining if Nintendo knows what they are doing is the fun part.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The difference is that this is a service.

For example, I dont get mad if I mess up my shoes when I am cleaning them, but If I pay you to clean my shoes and you mess them up without any way of reimbursing me then we will have to fight (In court).You shouldnt be taking money if you dont know what you are doing, and by that same token, I shouldnt be giving you money if you dont know what you are doing.

Looking at this mess and determining if Nintendo knows what they are doing is the fun part.

But you do know what they're doing while you pay for the service, it's just unclear as to what happens when you stop paying for it. I definitely understand the want for clarification here, but I also think its worth acknowledging how granular we're getting.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
Since cloud save are behind a paywall.
If i stop paying, i don't think they should keep my save game for long time in the cloud.

If they keep it, why charge for it?