• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Give me Animal Crossing or Pokémon RPG or give me death!!

I'm going to be genuinely angry if this is like REALLY aimed at children, like not super heavy appeal to us. Probably my fault for hyping up a new announcement.

Angry? That's not quite fair man. Nintendo have always made games aimed for children. The majority of them have been great too. We already had a mini Direct for more hardcore games and are apparently having another in February. This is an embarrassment of riches for Switch owners right now regardless who you are. A new casual aimed game suitable for kids will be a genius announcement if it's well done.

Last edited:

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
From what I know, the press seems to love it, even if it was a bit wtf at the beginning. Also some are afraid the video won't explain well the concept and some will outrage (as always lol).

So there was already a press event? Interesting. Can't wait to see what it is and unfortunately there will be a lot of overreactions since there's an announcement that's not specifically targeting the core gamers.

JordanKZ

Oct 27, 2017
LOL, seriously....

But for real, when is this announcement supposed to drop?? Want to make sure I'm around for it.

Thread title, brah ;)

This thread is kind of hilarious. Not every game is for you, not every system is for you. Nintendo will make different things to capture different markets. It's not a waste of resources, especially if the plan works.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand this. Nintendo announcing something casual for Switch isn't going to mean the Switch is no longer for 'core' gamers.

When Microsoft focused on Kinect for 3 E3's in a row and Sony showed off Wonderbook did that destroy Xbox and PlayStation's imagine? Of course not.

As I said earlier, the problem is that it takes EPD's ressources away from new IPs like Splatoon, Arms or new entries from fan's favorites. Games that already appeal to a wide range of gamers.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, the spanish website says something for kids and adults equally

Also, lol at the anti-kids anti-casual banter in this thread. I though this community was free of that nonsense.

You guys were also kids and casual gamers once, did you know?
Blasphemy. I was hard core gamer since I first played SNES when five. ;)

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
My supposition would be some kind of TCG with Nintendo Characters (possible compatibility with amiibos even), with NFC inside to play with characters/equipements on the Switch.
That way would be an HUGE money factory and i see it really trendy between children, with an accessory witch make the game more impressive on the console (may be possible to play without that maybe)

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm squidbagging in excitement

BasicLawfulGuppy-size_restricted.gif

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
switch-baby-e1486566342210-650x365.jpg

Found the first leak. New peripheral turns your switch into a literal baby! What they meant to say is the Switch will give you new ways of taking care of a child.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Virtual Console? Animal Crossing game cube?
Wasn't there a rumor about the Switch getting GC Virtual Console with Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, and a third game, and then something about Animal Crossing GC getting reworked for it?

GameCube JoyCons and Animal Crossing GCN remixed into interactive Virtual Console service (remember you collected NES carts) confirmed

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Angry? That's pretty sad man. Nintendo have always made games aimed for children. The majority of them have been great too. We already had a mini Direct for more hardcore games and are apparently having another in February. This is an embarrassment of riches for Switch owners right now regardless who you are.
Kids? Enjoying Videogames!? Not on my watch!
I edited my post to reflect my feelings more accurately. I have nothing against Nintendo appealing to all audiences, I just hope I can get in on the action and enjoy this too.

SH3RLOCK

Jan 1, 2018
Official 3DS-Games-Support for NS. Downloadable: Directly after Announcement for FREE!
Or maybe a learning App

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
No idea what this could be so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's a cheaper, slightly scaled down, handheld only version of the console to make it easier for kids to get a Switch for Pokemon.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I'm interested but I'm not staying up for this, can't wait for the NINTENDOOMED posts come tomorrow morning from people who had ridiculous expectations.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I think the way they've used the word crafted is interesting.

I think it's maybe going to be Nintendo's own version of Lego possibly? Build your own Nintendo levels/worlds out of bricks and then use your amiibo characters on said worlds.

I honestly have no idea.

PaypayTR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was thinking about something like that. Kinda like AtmosFear or something:
atmosfear-dungeons-dragons-dvd.jpg

Or A Pokemon card deck etc

This is what it is , isnt it?

Even game is probably similiar. They may even licenced Stranger Things and making game for it with tablet on table top mode while table,icons etc comes from package

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm expecting a few low key game announcements out of this, perhaps something related to that 1080 renewal

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo_hardcore_consumers.mov

They're all mistakes, children. Filthy, nasty things. Glad I never was one.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is actually appealing to hardcore gamers; since some of them are upset at the thought of Nintendo appealing to casuals, that would make them childish, or "kids at heart"

Hmmmmm

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What if Nintendo is teaming up with the World Pog Federation to make amiibo powered pogs?

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
As I said earlier, the problem is that it takes EPD's ressources away from new IPs like Splatoon, Arms or new entries from fan's favorites. Games that already appeal to a wide range of gamers.

Do we even know it's made by EPD yet? But even if it is they've always made casual games so wouldn't be surprising or a negative development. At least it's not virtually all Nintendo are doing like in the Wii Music days.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
My gut says whatever it is will heavily leverage the portability of the device. Stuff like Pokemon GO, DS/3DS success, etc show that there is a huge draw to software that is enhanced by or integral to portability. Nintendo also recognises that children in particular get out and about and play on the go; hence the success of their portable systems, in particular the Pokemon series and Animal Crossing. I doubt Nintendo want's to invest in huge casual/youth targeted experience that requires customers be locked to the device in their home. Especially considering the importance of portable devices in Japan versus home consoles. They'll want something that get's people out and about and, to some extent, engaging with each other.

To the Switch's benefit, and maybe something we forget, the entire system's horsepower can be taken anywhere you go. Unlike the peripheral heavy Wii that while big on wireless motion devices still had you locked to console based in a home, Nintendo could cook up almost anything that replaces a joycon slot or whatever or wirelessly connects to the device as an additional peripheral and the base device can go anywhere alongside with it. There's no practical limitation to the technology and processing power, no need to make something that feels totally detached or disconnected from the home system. No different to a phone or a tablet or the 3DS/DS, Nintendo can make whatever they want (software and/or hardware) knowing that these experimental offshoots and gimmicks will always be portable.

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have mixed opinions about the Wii era, Nintendo made the Galaxy games, Donkey Kong Country, Sin & Punishment 2 and Metroid Prime 3, but on the other hand they lost their time in things like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and other stuff made only for casual gamers, my Wii was collecting dust around 2 years because of that, Nintendo loves casual gamers, that is not a secret and they want to conquer them again with this kind of announcements.

I hate this thing, i don't like the idea that the great start of the Switch could be tarnished by casual stuff, specially when i remember those Wii/DS days full of mediocre software.

I'm sorry this post is full of hate to casual gaming, but this is from the bottom of my heart.
Many casual games in the Wii/DS era were extremely creative, much much more than the vast majority of hardcore games in the same period and since then. It's ok if you don't like them but these were at the very least totally valid and respectable from an artistic standpoint. And being able to like games also for what they add artistically/creatively especially in terms of gameplay, as this is the main aspect in gaming, is what being a "hardcore gamer" should also be about imo.

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
My supposition would be some kind of TCG with Nintendo Characters (possible compatibility with amiibos even), with NFC inside to play with characters/equipements on the Switch.
That way would be an HUGE money factory and i see it really trendy between children, with an accessory witch make the game more impressive on the console (may be possible to play without that maybe)
I wouldn't function. My wallet would be gone and I'd be dangerously obsessed. High key hoping this is the case now

Deleted member 26156

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd say maybe some crazy new version of Mario Party, but The Top 100 just came out a few months back. I'm guessing it'll be a new IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.