• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I got surprised today receiving an email from eBay that my offer was deleted since it violates Nintendo's IP.

I was selling my unmodified old Switch since I've upgraded to the new version. However, I pointed out that the Switch is an old model which can be modified.

What in this is violating anything?

eBay was approached via this email: [email protected]

I guess that's the same bunch of folks that also pulled down YouTube videos from e.g. ModernVintageGamer

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
That's just fucked up. Not surprised that Nintendo would do it, but more surprised that Ebay would go along with it.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Kind of surprising, but also I feel putting the part of the serial number that shows it can be modded is enough for anyone who cares to put two and two together

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's super lame but Nintendo probably views Switch hacking as promoting piracy, and so they're being super overzealous about it. I'd just re-list it without mentioning it can be hacked

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
i think ebay might not allow specifically stating that a console is or can be modified in the listing. i feel like i ran into this problem years ago

it's always been kind of a loophole to just list it with all the information a modder would need to know without stating outright that a console is moddable (current firmware, etc)

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
does it matter which software version is installed or is it just the fact that it is a launch year Switch which is important?

Just a launch version Switch, there's a security hole with the original Tegra chip in the Switch that allows for exploits that couldn't simply be fixed via software updates. Nintendo fixed this with the new model Switch systems though

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How on earth do you think that specifically advertising your switch can be modified (to potentially play pirated games) is a perfectly ok thing to do?

Come on dude. Use your brain. Completely reasonable take down. Just put it up and don't advertise that you can hack it.

Oct 27, 2017
How on earth do you think that specifically advertising your switch can be modified (to potentially play pirated games) is a perfectly ok thing to do?

Come on dude. Use your brain. Completely reasonable take down. Just put it up and don't advertise that you can hack it.
WTF are you talking about. The fact that you can stream games to it now is a huge feature alone. It is not just about pirating games.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
i think ebay might not allow specifically stating that a console is or can be modified in the listing. i feel like i ran into this problem years ago

it's always been kind of a loophole to just list it with all the information a modder would need to know without stating outright that a console is moddable (current firmware, etc)

That would be strange considering all the bootlegs eBay knowingly allows now. Wish they would clean up those.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering the same thing, how much do these older switches go for now. Cause I have a spare one just in case lol I already had my first one modded.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Why wouldn't I be able to sell my modified consoles? It's not illegal to mod.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Just list it with the model number and current firmware. People looking for a modable Switch will find it

Exactly. I don't think the OP is wrong at all for mentioning this fact to help sell his switch at a good price either. Its just that Nintendo will zero in on shit like that and give you a headache about it. I damn sure will post the model number If I decide to sell my unmodded launch window switch.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao what the hell that's so lame, like, I could maybe understand if it was modded but it isn't...

Oct 27, 2017
A Cave
Must be recent because I did the exact same thing when I sold my Switch a month ago, mentioning it was modifiable / Homebrew ready and even quoting homebrew forums with the Serial range information in the listing itself

or maybe Nintendo UK doesn't care

Deleted member 32106

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Never mention anything about hacking or modding in a game console's eBay listing, it'll most likely get taken down. https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/encouraging-infringement-policy?id=4377
Not allowed
  • Activities such as:
    • Offering to sell original software and encouraging the bidder or buyer to make a backup copy and resell the original
    • Offering to sell a box for an authentic product (such as a box for a Rolex watch) and suggesting to potential buyers that they can then use it to sell a counterfeit item (see also our policy on replicas, counterfeit items, and unauthorized copies policy)
  • eBooks describing how to remove copy protection in order to copy content onto CDs, DVDs, or other discs (see also our policy on recordable media and our policy on enabling duplication of copy-protected material)
  • Instructions on how to install a modification chip (sometimes called a modchip) in a video game console
  • Links to websites where buyers can download:
  • Any software or device (sold separately or already installed on a product) whose purpose is to circumvent copyright protections, such as:
    • Certain modchips, game enhancers, boot discs or video game converters
    • Instructions on how to install a modification chip (modchip) or similar device in a video game console

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
This has been a thing for many years from any system manufacturer. Its Ebay policy. Try doing the same on craigslist and you'll get the same result. But I guess this is a Nintendo being draconian topic.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao they got NOA peeps scouring eBay knowing *exactly* what y'all are doing.

Sometimes when advertising in this case, less info is better 🤷🏾‍♂️

Last edited:

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
The best way around the issue when listing an older Switch is to mention when it was purchased new and also the first three letters of the serial number (or the whole number perhaps??). Don't mention it can be modified.

Anyone seeking out a modifiable Switch should be able to work out if it's hackable (basically any Switch manufactured prior to June/July 2018 on any firmware are okay, and any after that date that are running firmware 4.1.0 ).

Last edited:

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Did you advertise it as being hackable, or did you advertise it as being "manufactured before July 2018"?

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Its baffling that this is the stuff they go after. I guess ebay would rather take down a random user than deal with any legal issues

Because so many people not only allow them to but actively defend them for it.

Nintendo evangelists tend to get a bit huffy and defensive about their darling Nintendo (who can apparently do no wrong).

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The fact that you stated it was an older version that could be modified meant that you were trying to get more interest/money out of what you were selling which related to hacking and/or piracy.

People who are saying it is stupid that it was taken down need to think a little more...

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
What's wrong with Homebrew?

Nothing at all, but some people equate modifying consoles with piracy and nothing else. Along similar lines, any time an emulation thread pops up for any console (old or new) there's a few who get all uppity because they immediately think only of piracy and nothing else.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Why wouldn't I be able to sell my modified consoles? It's not illegal to mod.

Yo.

Newslflash.

You know EULAs? The things with the funny names that nobody ever reads but everyone always accepts? End User License Agreements?

1. License Grant/Restrictions.
    Subject to the terms of this Agreement, you may use the software, content, and data that came with the Console, or that is compatible with or authorized for use in connection therewith, including any updates or replacement to that software, content, or data that we or our authorized providers make available to you (collectively, the "Software"). The Software is licensed, not sold, to you solely for your personal, noncommercial use on the Console. You may not publish, copy, modify, reverse engineer, lease, rent, decompile, disassemble, distribute, offer for sale, or create derivative works of any portion of the Software, or bypass, modify, defeat, tamper with, or circumvent any of the functions or protections of the Console, unless otherwise permitted by law. Content obtained through the use of an unauthorized device, or through the unauthorized modification of Console hardware or software, may be removed. You agree not to use the Console in an unlawful manner or to access the consoles, devices, accounts, or data of others (including Nintendo) without their (or our) consent.

EULAs aren't legally binding but they can still nope you out of their stuff if you break it. Hence you're not getting a lawyer knocking on your door.

Nintendo Ninjas now dictating eBay policy, how far can they go?
You mean eBay policy that eBay dictates?
->

edit: sarcasm apparently

Never mention anything about hacking or modding in a game console's eBay listing, it'll most likely get taken down. https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/encouraging-infringement-policy?id=4377

Last edited:

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo.

Newslflash.

You know EULAs? The things with the funny names that nobody ever reads but everyone always accepts? End User License Agreements?

EULAs aren't legally binding but they can still nope you out of their stuff if you break it. Hence you're not getting a lawyer knocking on your door.

You mean eBay policy that eBay dictates?
->
The policy they barely follow?
and the end user agreement doesn't really mean anything to the legality of hacking your console

In America it is totally legal to hack it mid your console

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Guess it must just be for more recent stuff because all the DS multi carts, modded Wiis, and a few modded Wii Us are still listed.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't quite get the confusion here.

Offering modified stuff is forbidden so why should the mentioning that you can modify it be okay?