• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I think they probably modeled scenarios where it had ho-hum success and where it had breakthrough success, and we got the former.

I dunno, part of me thinks this was the plan all along before moving on to Mario Kart or whatever. No amiibo, or promise of new modes like story.

How well could it really have sold in 2017? In my opinion, yearly legs were going to be the determining factor, but we're not in 2018 yet.

For 2017, what would've been acceptable? 3m?

edit: dp

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, part of me thinks this was the plan all along before moving on to Mario Kart or whatever. No amiibo, or promise of new modes like story.

How well could it really have sold in 2017? In my opinion, yearly legs were going to be the determining factor, but we're not in 2018 yet.

For 2017, what would've been acceptable? 3m?

edit: dp
Well, here's what Nintendo said:

Eurogamer: That's something that fascinated me - Mario Kart is big business, it's a huge selling series. For that team to go on to a fighting game - which is quite a niche genre, and not only that, it's an all-new fighting game - it's quite a bold move.

Kosuke Yabuki: I think with any game, whether it becomes big from a business sense - before you create it, you don't know. Even Mario Kart, some point back in the past, we didn't know it'd be such a success and go on for such a long time! In terms of now, while maintaining and supporting existing franchises like Mario Kart, it's important to try new things. Something like Arms, we're working as hard as possible to make Arms into something that fans will enjoy for a long time to come in the future. How long it continues and how successful it'll be, it's new so we don't know that just yet. In terms of the updates we're working as hard as we can on these updates, on keeping the game as fun and as interesting as possible, for as many people as possible for as long as possible.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-07-21-arms-yabuki-mario-kart-nintendo-interview-birdoplease

Similarly, Nintendo was still running flagship ARMS TV commercials in October:

Nintendo maintained its hold on third place with 374.3 million impressions generated off of 10 spots that aired over 3,000 times. The commercial with the most impressions (78.6 million) was "Arms: Answer the Call to ARMS." Among the networks the brand prioritized: Disney Channel, Adult Swim, and Nick; among the shows: SpongeBob SquarePants, Family Guy, and Raven's Home.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/10/21/...s-the-gaming-brand-with-the-most-seen-tv-ads/

This doesn't sound like something they intended to cut off after six months.

Neoxon this quote is probably relevant to your question too.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Well, here's what Nintendo said:

Eurogamer: That's something that fascinated me - Mario Kart is big business, it's a huge selling series. For that team to go on to a fighting game - which is quite a niche genre, and not only that, it's an all-new fighting game - it's quite a bold move.

Kosuke Yabuki: I think with any game, whether it becomes big from a business sense - before you create it, you don't know. Even Mario Kart, some point back in the past, we didn't know it'd be such a success and go on for such a long time! In terms of now, while maintaining and supporting existing franchises like Mario Kart, it's important to try new things. Something like Arms, we're working as hard as possible to make Arms into something that fans will enjoy for a long time to come in the future. How long it continues and how successful it'll be, it's new so we don't know that just yet. In terms of the updates we're working as hard as we can on these updates, on keeping the game as fun and as interesting as possible, for as many people as possible for as long as possible.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-07-21-arms-yabuki-mario-kart-nintendo-interview-birdoplease

Similarly, Nintendo was still running flagship ARMS TV commercials in October:

This doesn't sound like something they intended to cut off after six months.

Neoxon this quote is probably relevant to your question too.

hm, if they were really pushing it like that, having no amiibo seems a weird choice.
What kind of sales could they expect in 6 months with other games releasing around it

Oct 28, 2017
hm, if they were really pushing it like that, having no amiibo seems a weird choice.
What kind of sales could they expect in 6 months with other games releasing around it
Usually a mismatch of dev expectation and publisher support.

As for the numbers, they're from sell through of last quarter + the weekly sell through threads data

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Well, as of our last update, Splatoon 2 has moved 3.61 million units and ARMS had moved 1.35 million units.

I would be surprised if they were hoping for 2-3+ million by the end of the year and didn't hit it, or only got near the bottom of that range.

It sticks out that this announcement was made just as the Christmas shopping season ended.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Usually a mismatch of dev expectation and publisher support.

As for the numbers, they're from sell through of last quarter + the weekly sell through threads data
but there's no us numbers...right?
How did it get 500k more?

Well, as of our last update, Splatoon 2 has moved 3.61 million units and ARMS had moved 1.35 million units.

I would be surprised if they were hoping for 2-3+ million by the end of the year and didn't hit it, or only got near the bottom of that range.

It sticks out that this announcement was made just as the Christmas shopping season ended.

2m I get. 3m would be way too much.
From a while back, I knew this was never outselling Mario Rabbids, while others disagreed. Unless it randomly took off like Splatoon.
And Mario Rabbids is probably around that 2m.

it did have a lot of good coverage from the Nintendo World Championships and ads, so I guess Nintendo saw the needle wasn't being moved enough.
Still...killing support for a fighting game ip this early...

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
I love everything about it but the gameplay, it's the only reason I have yet to pick it up , I'm not a huge fighting game fan as it is , but this one seemed more shallow then most .

It's a shame because I absolutely love the characters and the whole arms concept . At the very least it gives Nintendo a new roster of cool characters for there other genres .

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So are those other 5 or so leaked characters just not ever coming to the game?

Sly Chimera

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Welp the standoff of me waiting for more content to buy the games ends abruptly. Only Nintendo game I didn't buy for switch

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
They supported it longer than i expected, Nintendo did a good job with ARMS mixed reception considered (at the reveal)

Elfteiroh

Oct 28, 2017
Montréal, Québec
I saw lot of people saying they were cutting off support, but I'm pretty sure they said they will continue patching the game for balancing and small fixes when the need will arise. That is, in my mind, the definition of "support". If you only mean the content addition will stop, ok, yeah. But I think right now the game have good content for a new IP.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
I saw lot of people saying they were cutting off support, but I'm pretty sure they said they will continue patching the game for balancing and small fixes when the need will arise. That is, in my mind, the definition of "support". If you only mean the content addition will stop, ok, yeah. But I think right now the game have good content for a new IP.

The original Info says that balance-updates will continue.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoy playing this game but I just feel like it needs more universal mechanics to expand the gameplay and give it more depth outside of just throwing punches.

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
No real single player and releasing so close to Splatoon wasn't good for this game. They also could have put more work into character stories like Overwatch.

InteractiveSoftwareUser

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
props_ed2_farewell_book_screen_1.jpg

It was a good run.

Well played

InteractiveSoftwareUser

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the offline experience is much stronger than Splatoon because you can face off against bots and customise. But Splatoon 2 has more content if you plan to stay at home.

I don't find ARMS single player offerings nearly as interesting as playing the campaigns in Splatoon/2. Also don't find the online nearly as fun, so it's probably just a difference in taste.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sad to see that Nintendo arent releasing any more new characters or badges, but considering all the content they released has been free they couldnt keep on supporting the game like that forever. Would make more sense to make a full sequel with a proper story and additional characters than doing free updates to game which isn't attracting a lot of new users.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Shame. I'm fond of the game but was never able to truly love it. I think a large part of that was the lack of story stopped me becoming fully enveloped in its world.
It's fun to play from time-to-time, graphics, performance, music and character designs are all top notch. Don't regret buying but wouldn't be interested in a sequel.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
The overwatch team is on a completely different scale than the ARMS team. Not to mention how long that game was developed.
I'm just talking about how they flesh out their characters to give them stories & personalities as well as friends & family that make us invest in the property or SOMETHING more