• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 62

"大型のアップデートとしては、今回が最後のアップデートになる予定です。もちろん、今後もゲームバランスの調整は継続しておこなっていきますので、参戦ファイターも増えてにぎやかになった『ARMS』を、今後ともお楽しみいただければ幸いです!"

"As a major update, this one [the just released v.5 update] will be the last update. Of course, we will continue to adjust the game's balance in the future, so I hope you will continue to enjoy ARMS."

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/67b3f436-e451-11e7-8cda-063b7ac45a6d.html

So in total they added 5 new fighters, 12 new arms, and 5 new stages:
CI_NSwitch_Arms_DrCoyle_Infographic_enGB_mediaplayer_large.jpg

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Hopefully we can get a small discount on the game now. £42 is a lot of money for a fighting game imo.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
What?! Noooo

Shame the data-mining got our hopes up. Still, what we got was damn good post-launch support and all free too.

I swear Splatoon 1 had longer content update legs than this though. :/

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Still doesn't seem like enough to me. Thought it would continue into next year. Think it might have to do with the sales?

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
A bit sooner than I expected, but the added content is awesome so it's all good.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it had taken off like Splatoon, it probably would have kept going. Too bad, I like the game. Hopefully it sold well enough to warrant a sequel, this time with a more robust single player story mode.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's as much as you can do with free updates and it seems they don't want to do any paid DLC, for some reason.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting for that price drop. Probably should have tried that early doors to get new IP into peoples hands.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
They added some great content post-release and it was all free. I commend them for their work on this game. Looking forward to seeing what they do next.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Increasing the roster size by 50% is pretty good, but it still seems like it didn't get updates for that long. I'm guessing sales were below expectations.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, Splatoon 1 and even Splatoon 2 had held back content. Splatoon actually had 9 stages ready to go at launch, and a bunch of weapons were ready to go.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Probably. Opportunity cost for the Kart team must be gigantic.

Was just about to come back and ask which studio was behind the game. Understandable then. Not sure how much man power was needed for ARMS/Spl2n, but some other Nintendo IP might have needed their focus.

Have had fun with ARMS and I think it will be a good fighting game for me until Switch Tekken or Smash. The content they've released has been solid!

Deleted member 8112

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What?! Noooo

Shame the data-mining got our hopes up. Still, what we got was damn good post-launch support and all free too.

I swear Splatoon 1 had longer content update legs than this though. :/
Well, Splatoon 1 was more popular and it was probably easier to make new content, because a lot of that was just weapon reskins with some different stats. And 6 months is pretty lengthy, imo, considering that Splatoon 2 is getting 12 months of new content.

Oct 27, 2017
This is fine. Game sold successfully, got 8+ months of support, and now the team can work on something new or an outright sequel in the future to further improve the formula.

I wish more service games followed this model.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The good news is that the Mario Kart team can work on Mario Kart again! I hope Mario Kart 9 comes out on Switch three years down the line. I can't wait to see where they go next.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
It was a minor hit at best, and that's if you're being generous.

You don't keep the Mario Kart team pushing out DLC for a 8 month old game that didn't really take off when they could be working on a game that will sell guaranteed millions.

Oct 25, 2017
This is essentially how Splatoon 1 would have worked out had it not exploded in popularity as it did. ARMS got its planned support, it still sold fine but it never exploded onto the scene, so it didn't get more DLC than planned.

EVO Japan still has an ARMS spot and they'll be launching a comic book series next year. I'm wondering if they want to leverage more mindshare for the eventual sequel.

And yeah, maybe they can train a new team for ARMS just so they won't have their main MK team preoccupied.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Nintendo is going to want this team to focus on the next Mario Kart. MK8 DX was a decent hold over, but they need to ensure they have major 2019 games going too.

The team got to do their experiment, and it has some semblance of a community (no idea what the size of that looks like). But Mario Kart is a far more important game to their catalog...

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, Splatoon 1 and even Splatoon 2 had held back content. Splatoon actually had 9 stages ready to go at launch, and a bunch of weapons were ready to go.
Yeah it also is one of Nintendo's most important IP's since it got widespread appeal and sells like hotcakes.

Would not even surprise me if they extend Splatoon 2 support to 2 years or 6 extra months, why release Splatoon 3 in 2019 if 2 still has those thicc squid legs? :p

Rafako

Dec 19, 2017
So, what's the final consensus on the game, now that we know what all the content is?
There's a good variety on the fighter's gameplay? Enough arenas? Online is populated?

Oct 25, 2017
There's a good variety on the fighter's gameplay?
Because the gameplay is all in the weaponry, a lot of basic maneuvers are the same, but dodge style and attack style remain unique among every character with their special traits.

15 stages for 15 characters, seems like a good amount.

Online is populated?
Doesn't take more than a minute to get a match during normal hours.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, what's the final consensus on the game, now that we know what all the content is?
There's a good variety on the fighter's gameplay? Enough arenas? Online is populated?

I think the offline experience is much stronger than Splatoon because you can face off against bots and customise. But Splatoon 2 has more content if you plan to stay at home.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Back to Mario Kart 9 I guess. I hope the team is large enough to develop a framework for a sequel simultaneously.

gschmidl

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
A Farewell to ARMS?

e: that's what I get for scrolling over pictures.