• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
All the above.

Just one question - how do we know this - "Played a major role in conveying audience expectations of franchises like Zelda and Mario to developers at NCL" ?

Because that's Treehouse's job. They aren't just marketing/localization. Bill Trinen's role is in product development. They have a major hand in making NCL aware of the global market.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I think some of the comments I've seen over the last few months (or hell, last few years) that Reggie was 'just doing his job' and didn't have a passion for his role are a bit too cynical for my tastes. He didn't have to do a lot of the things he did - taking part in silly skits, embracing the memes, attempting to play Smash Bros on stage etc. - and he always came across as personable. It is possible to do your job and have a genuine interest and passion for what you do, and I think Reggie was genuinely a master at his craft. Impossible to phase or throw off message, the guy was really enjoyable to watch.
Dude has collected 600 korok seeds in BOTW...
It's more than most people on this forum (way more than me at least).
Yeah, he loves Nintendo games.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Reggie was one of the best execs in the business.

A keen gamer and a man passionate for the sheer fun and delight his company's products bring to the world.

He knew how to let his hair down and have fun. I always loved the banter between him and Geof Keighley at E3. The always used to rib each other slyly and it was very amusing to watch.

Dude went out on top, so I have the utmost respect for him.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I think some of the comments I've seen over the last few months (or hell, last few years) that Reggie was 'just doing his job' and didn't have a passion for his role are a bit too cynical for my tastes. He didn't have to do a lot of the things he did - taking part in silly skits, embracing the memes, attempting to play Smash Bros on stage etc. - and he always came across as personable. It is possible to do your job and have a genuine interest and passion for what you do, and I think Reggie was genuinely a master at his craft. Impossible to phase or throw off message, the guy was really enjoyable to watch.
Just watch his farewell video to know this isn't true.

When was the last time an executive made a fun, memories filled farewell video for the company's fans?

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
But he's 57. He's not really old.
The idea that someone should work till like age when they don't have to is bizarre. It's insane to me this is mainstream thought. Guy has an eight figure net worth, he can do whatever he wants. Why works anyone continue to work after accomplishing what he's accomplished when you can go out on top?

Buck Dancer

Oct 27, 2017
The whole "NOA is only a PR mouthpiece" nonsense really needs to stop. NOA have done a bang-up job securing third-party support for the Switch ever since it launched, including:
  • Games from a number of major third-party devs that haven't been on Nintendo platforms in many, many years (Id, Blizzard, Epic etc.)
  • A large number of high-profile indie games (Stardew Valley, Overcooked, Dead Cells, Hollow Knight etc.)
  • An even larger number of lesser known indie games that are of incredibly high quality
The only difference now is that Nintendo have, for the first time in years, put out a console that is an actual competitor. If they'd done this six years ago, NOA would have done the same thing they're doing now for the Wii U.

Beyond this, over the past few years Nintendo of America has:

a) Figured out how to market a number of quirkyJapanese games in the West very effectively (Tomodachi Life, Style Savvy, Dragon Quest etc. etc.)​
b) Played a major role in conveying audience expectations of franchises like Zelda and Mario to developers at NCL​
c) Created Treehouse Live, a week-long event which is one of the highlights of E3 every single year​
So, this whole pretense that NOA (and Reggie) haven't played a major role in Nintendo's successes over the past 15 years is ridiculous.

These statements are usually made by people who lack any basic business understanding whatsoever

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that someone should work till like age when they don't have to is bizarre. It's insane to me this is mainstream thought. Guy has an eight figure net worth, he can do whatever he wants. Why works anyone continue to work after accomplishing what he's accomplished when you can go out on top?

I agree, the thought that one has to work as the purpose of life is worrying and sad, ideally we should do work that makes us happy and if we did that long enough to get by without and have a nice life then that's great and I'm genuinely happy for Reggie he managed both :)

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's fair to say if Iwata hadn't passed away either, he might've stayed longer. That's just as speculative as anything else maybe. I think only Reggie knows. I don't think there's any political reasons why he would be forced to step down. It's not so much that Doug Bowser came in and ran the place as it's that as soon as he showed good leadership abilities, Reggie was probably like "I've been waiting for this."

Also, I expect Nintendo to get more aggressive and conventional under Bowser's strategy it's sort of needed for Nintendo. Competitiveness comes with being more by the numbers as well, but I hope under the new guard Nintendo can start to become more like they used to be before they gave up on the arms race, at least a couple of years down the line.

At worst, Doug pulls a Peter Moore and says "Console isn't selling what we need? Cut it."

Lmao, nah.

Reggie retired because he made fat stacks at Nintendo. He probably hates his job like most people and he has the luxury to have the ability to retire now, so he will.

There is near zero chance he left because he was waiting for someone else to just happen to walk in and be better than him when that could have taken anything from one month to twenty more years.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The whole "NOA is only a PR mouthpiece" nonsense really needs to stop. NOA have done a bang-up job securing third-party support for the Switch ever since it launched, including:
  • Games from a number of major third-party devs that haven't been on Nintendo platforms in many, many years (Id, Blizzard, Epic etc.)
  • A large number of high-profile indie games (Stardew Valley, Overcooked, Dead Cells, Hollow Knight etc.)
  • An even larger number of lesser known indie games that are of incredibly high quality
The only difference now is that Nintendo have, for the first time in years, put out a console that is an actual competitor. If they'd done this six years ago, NOA would have done the same thing they're doing now for the Wii U.

Beyond this, over the past few years Nintendo of America has:

a) Figured out how to market a number of quirkyJapanese games in the West very effectively (Tomodachi Life, Style Savvy, Dragon Quest etc. etc.)​
b) Played a major role in conveying audience expectations of franchises like Zelda and Mario to developers at NCL​
c) Created Treehouse Live, a week-long event which is one of the highlights of E3 every single year​
So, this whole pretense that NOA (and Reggie) haven't played a major role in Nintendo's successes over the past 15 years is ridiculous.
Well, in this case, they also:
  • Failed to satisfy demand of amiibos, 3ds models, and classic consoles at launch
  • Give the worst special edition of all games released so far, when compared to both Japan or Europe
  • Also provide poor rewards in their fidelity program, they got rid of physical reward, while they still exist in Japan.
  • Only bought 2 or 3 models of 3ds while Japan have dozens
  • Decided to sell few 3ds models without chargers
  • Weakened development of games in America, with retro, next level games and nst all bringing disappointing games regarding "audience expectations"
People say that NOA is just a marketing branch as a way to excuse the poor job they have been doing for more than a decade. Not saying your points are invalid, but some of them actually are all about marketing.

It's kinda ironic the points you bring saying "since the switch launch" when it's more like "since Doug came onboard".

Anyway, on topic, I wonder if Reggie would accept do a interview after leaving Nintendo. To this day that roward guy kept his mouth shut about his time as president, wondering if Reggie will do the same.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well said.

I won't amass 8 figures in my life and will still retire much younger than Reggie. The freedom to spend your life doing whatever you want is more valuable than anything (other than health).

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
To anyone and everyone going on about some shady shit about his retirement.

From the mouth of the man himself.

giphy.gif

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Reggie was one of the best execs in the business.

A keen gamer and a man passionate for the sheer fun and delight his company's products bring to the world.

He knew how to let his hair down and have fun. I always loved the banter between him and Geoff Keighley at E3. The always used to rib each other slyly and it was very amusing to watch.

Dude went out on top, so I have the utmost respect for him.
This

Doug Bowser has some big shoes to fill, but I'm sure he's up to the challenge. Either way, I'm glad that Reggie got to retire in good health & high spirits.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping there's some acknowledgement today, be it twitter or a youtube video. I know we got his send off already, but seeing him walk out of Nintendo of America at the end of the day or something, with the employees cheering him on, would be really cool to see.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping there's some acknowledgement today, be it twitter or a youtube video. I know we got his send off already, but seeing him walk out of Nintendo of America at the end of the day or something, with the employees cheering him on, would be really cool to see.
He should do a parody of JD leaving scrubs, except its just everyone ignoring him, and bill tells him he is fired.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Based on his twitter description, sounds like he's already officially retired and probably not in the office today.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
"Phil Spencer and his micro soft dick should get the fuck out of my company. Screw all ya'll traitors. I'm out!"

- Reggie Fils-Aime (2019)

The notion that Reggie either 1) quit the company due to console wars or 2) was forced to retire after, for some reason, signing a paradigm-shift of a deal without telling any of his foreign colleagues are both absolutely ridiculous. There's literally no connection there outside of the coincidence of Reggie's retirement announcement and the MS/Nintendo rumours being somewhat close to each other.

"There are some motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane" - Reggie probably.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I really hope that at his first company meeting as the head, Doug Bowser enters the meeting room with the Airship Theme from Mario 3 playing behind him.

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes we forget how quick time goes on. 15 years went through in a blink of an eye.

Thank you Reggie - following you and your conferences has truly been a lot, lot of fun!