• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Yo, fuck corporations and capitalism and all that but... Nintendo has a way of casting this weird Disney-esque spell on people, and I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I got a bit misty-eyed while watching that farewell announcement. Even though he's an embodiment of the system I hate, he's always seemed like an amiable guy and one of the better ones, as far as corporate businessmen are concerned. This is a tough one to reckon with.

Putting all that aside, it's good that he's fortunate enough to retire while he's still got some youth coursing through his veins. I do wish him well, and I hope he's not too checked out to pop up on a Direct or the VGA stage once every few years.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Seems somewhat young for retirement but I suppose that makes sense for corporate life. Goodbye, Reggie! You will be missed!

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Reggie was a great executive for NoA, I just assumed he'd be doing this forever.

End of an Era for sure. It's almost like they had to go and find a guy named Bowser just to give him a fighting chance of escaping Reggie's shadow.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Wow, the guy has basically been for me the face of Nintendo for as long as I can remember. I'll really miss him.

Goodbye Reggie, I hope you will treasure the Gaming Industry's and our feelings forever.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Reggie retiring really feels like... I don't know how to feel... unreal?

Well... end of an era indeed, his positive energy will be missed.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
People actually liked Reggie?
He's been a fake marketing bullshitter since day one. His slow, deliberate reading of the script has always seemed so robotic, that I couldn't imagine anyone actually forming any kind of real liking for him.
Maybe that's just my dislike of most marketers. At least he wasn't as bad as Cammie Dunaway, but they are definitely on the same level.

Oct 26, 2017
Well good on him for being able to retire before he gets too old to truly enjoy the rest of his life and here's to a lot of Bowser memes going forward

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's been a fake marketing bullshitter since day one. His slow, deliberate reading of the script has always seemed so robotic, that I couldn't imagine anyone actually forming any kind of real liking for him.
Maybe that's just my dislike of most marketers. At least he wasn't as bad as Cammie Dunaway, but they are definitely on the same level.
Well he is a robot, so you're correct. Seriously the Mega64 stuff and the other similar skits Nintendo has done with him is why people liked him, not because of bs sales pitches like "Not the same game, not the same content". You don't often see execs doing stuff like it, with Iwata being another rare example.

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
Why did you even post?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reggie is trending #1 worldwide right now. It's fair to say he is beloved.

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
he was one of the very few "top brass" people who were (or did an excellent job of seeming) genuine and enthused by the products they were marketing.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
The guy gave the most PR answers of all time. He was like some kind of PR automaton most of the time. Despite that, he is an undeniable iconic figure in terms of corporate industry heads and I will miss the memes and jokes. Wish him the best.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The guy gave the most PR answers of all time. He was like some kind of PR automaton most of the time. Despite that, he is an undeniable iconic figure in terms of corporate industry heads and I will miss the memes and jokes. Wish him the best.
There was only so much Reggie could control, though. He was marketing and sales guy, not a CEO like Iwata. He couldn't really get his hands in product development. So when he got a stinker like the Wii U, he had to do his best with that.

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
Reggie is like the personification of Nintendo of America in the Wii/DS era. What a personality. Will absolutely miss him.

This really does signal a new chapter in Nintendo's history.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
A legendary game exec, and an original marketing face guy for the console mfgrs that really got things from day 1.

I'll miss him.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Really sad to see him go so soon. But he's likely getting out in his terms and in good health, honestly, that's the best outcome for him.
May Bowser do a good job.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
It's really weird to think that Reggie won't be at Nintendo anymore... he's been there for such a huge chunk of my life. I'll miss him greatly.

Sad to think about how just a few years ago, Iwata, Miyamoto, and Reggie were pretty much the faces of Nintendo for a lot of people. A lot can change in such a short time...

Quo Vadis

Oct 27, 2017
End of an era.
The reaction of the gaming industry as a whole speaks volumes of how the man was seen.
You've got some big shoes to fill, Bowser.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
They say part of growing up is seeing the institutions of your youth leave and retire. Iwata, Reggie, Kofi Annan, and Jon Stewart were the big ones for me. Miyamoto and Sakurai and an assortment of politicians are all that remain for me.

Going to miss Reggie. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

379ch.gif

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This kinda stings. Dude was nothing more than a PR mouthpiece but I'll still miss seeing him around. :(

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
There's Reggie the man, and then Reggie the symbol. Think what you will of his sincerity, but the caricature we created from him — a sort of Santa Claus who delivered hype megatons and good vibes — will always hold a fond place in my heart. :-3

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, gonna really miss him and it'll be sad not seeing him in the next E3.
Always admired his PR skills especially during the WiiU era where he was getting bombarded with hard questions left and right.

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
Now he can spend more time with his family! Not gonna lie, gonna miss him. Reggie's a legend.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wow didn't think he was even approaching retirement but good luck to him. sure it was his job, but it seemed like he loved doing it at least. those e3 puppet skits were fun and of course the directs.