• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
He is a good guy but I didn't like him as a NOA president. He was more PR-ish, with him NOA was the same old Nintendo, in the good but also in the bad way.
He dodge lot of issues about localizations, free region games, online lacks on WII/U/DS, and so on.

Maybe one day we'll find out Reggie didn't like some things he had to do as a president because he couldn't.

I am sure this applies to 99% of executives. Even though NOA has an influence in some of the design decisions, once they are made NOA doesn't have much of an option besides getting behind it and promoting them in the best possible light to the fans.

Do you remember the Reggie quote about voice-chat?

The reason for that is, it continues to reinforce our commitment to online, and do so in a way that will enable the consumer to enjoy their Nintendo Switch and to still be able to play those connected experiences—like Splatoon, like Kart, like fill in the blank—while they're on the go. Instead of having some sort of bulky gamer headset, you'll be able to do it right off your smartphone, put in your earbuds that you use for your standard mobile device. We think that's a pretty sweet solution. That's part of the overall opportunity that we see in a subscription service.

Source

I don't think he had an option to say: "Yes, we know this is a terrible idea and will barely get any use within our fans. I tried to convince Takahashi to just use a headset but he wouldn't listen, so we are left with this."

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
To me Reggie has always been a PR guy talking PR BS. I've never seen a candid and relaxed conversation between him and a journalist. It's a shame because he must have so many stories and so much valuable information to share to fans and gamers about everything from the Wii U failure to the success of the Wii. I would love to see an interview of the kind IGN's Unlocked have done with Phil Spencer and others.

On the other hand I can't deny he's been important for the industry and, apparently, very accessible to the fans.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Happy trails, Reggie. Consider my name well & truly taken.

"But before you leave, I'd like you to step inside one more world..."

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out this is momentous enough news that it's been able to briefly bring back the dead:

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I wonder if we'll get more insightful company interviews in the future. This latest interview with the Japanese CEO was really great and interesting. Reggie seems like a cool guy, but in interviews I was always disappointed by his run of the mill PR answers without any substance.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
"This is a Mario Amiibo. Just had the prototypes made up. Because I now own the mechandising rights to your likeness. It's a long story, but Reggie has resigned and now I'm the president of Nintendo of America. I own the Mario franchise worldwide. See, if you were smart, you would have tried to climb the corporate ladder, but you didn't. Super Mario Odyssey sold nearly 14 million copies and it looks like you have to groom your moustache by yourself. And now I own you, and you're so darn cute and popular now that stomping you- well that would be bad business. You're probably even more popular because you just saved the Mushroom Kingdom from Rabbids. And as your popularity grows, so does the value of everything you're in. So no matter how much of a pain you think you're to me-- No matter how many time you save the princess... the losses are NOTHING compared to the coins you make me. 2D games, 3D games, Mario Kart, spin-offs, crossovers, the movie, theme parks, merchandise... I own you... I OWN YOU! MWAHAHAHAHA! So I I want you to go tell your loser brother to grab the vacuum and suck up those ghosts, 'cause that's gonna make me all the money too!"
ultimates_spider-man_1m7fu.jpg

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"This is a Mario Amiibo. Just had the prototypes made up. Because I now own the mechendising rights to your likeness. It's a long story, but Reggie has resigned and now I'm the president of Nintendo of America. I own the Mario franchise worldwide. See, if you were smart, you would have tried to climb the corporate ladder, but you didn't. Super Mario Odyssey sold nearly 14 million copies and it looks like you have to groom your moustache by yourself. And now I own you, and you're so darn cute and popular now that stomping you- well that would be bad business. You're probably even more popular because you just saved the Mushroom Kingdom from Rabbids. And as your popularity grows, so does the value of everything you're in. So no matter how much of a pain you think you're to me-- No matter how many time you save the princess... the losses are NOTHING compared to the coins you make me. 2D games, 3D games, Mario Kart, spin-offs, crossovers, the movie, theme parks, merchandise... I own you... I OWN YOU! MWAHAHAHAHA! So I I want you to go tell your loser brother to grab the vacuum and suck up those ghosts, 'cause that's gonna make me all the money too!"
ultimates_spider-man_1m7fu.jpg

tenor.gif

Boss-

Apr 20, 2018
My body was not ready. :-(

Good luck Reggie. Hope to see you back in the industry in the future.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I've only really seen videos and things of Bowser starting with this announcement, and I've gotta say he seems like a really cool guy.

I've assumed that the new Japanese president Furukawa isn't going to be as front-facing and engaging with the public as Iwata was, but this guy seems to fit that bill a little more.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn people retire at 57 in the US? It's like if I decided to retire in 15 years, it seems crazy to me :P
Good for him I guess.

Anyway, I liked what the fans made of Reggie (the memes where great) but I don't remember a single insightful interview coming out of his mouth and he never sounded genuine to me.

As a marketing man he did a great job, becoming a brand himself, he definitely earned its place in NOA's history.
Wish him all the best.

lol!
I mean, his post was a bit too harsh maybe but also kinda true? I don't think he's fundamentally wrong here.

Rich people 'retire' at that age but still work, he'll be able to sit on corporate boards or do consulting or something well into his twilight years and I'm sure he will. Most working Americans work into their mid 60's if they're able to, Social Security doesn't kick in at the full amount until you're 66 (Can take it at 62 but it's a reduced %). Many people who retire in their 50's at least in America do so because they physically can't do their job any more. My dad retired at 52 because he worked construction and had to get both his knees replaced.

I've always liked Reggie, his farewell video was very touching and he seems like a genuinely good dude. Wish him nothing but the best, he oversaw one hell of a 15 year Nintendo run.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I never really got into the gaming exec memes/worship that seems to permeate gaming culture but Reggie always seemed like a stand up dude. Level headed, funny, and controversy free.

He's been with the company for a while so I can understand the need to retire. Good luck to him.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Reggies last official duty is to state:
"We currently have no official announcement to release Mother 3"

and then Doug's first official announcement:
"We are pleased to announce Mother 3 on the nintendo eshop, available today"

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Well I'm not commenting on his role as COO, I'm only commenting on how beloved he seems to have become through the customer engagement videos that have been made with him (mostly talking and acting stiffly, while a nice cg gag happens around him).

To say wether he was successful or not as a COO would be pretty presumptuos as we really aren't able to know.

Again, he's doing his job in those videos, following on from the Japanese Nintendo direct videos. They seem to have worked, so that's good, but personally seeing Reggie on screen always left me thinking he was like a large stuffed mannequin, and his PR speak on stage and in interviews was maddeningly hollow. But that's just me, you don't have to feel that way.

For what it's worth, I do work in a largish corporation, in marketing and I make customer engagement videos. Most executive leadership people are even stiffer than Reggie, but then I don't think anyone expects the internet to be upset if they retire.
I hope he enjoys his early retirement, I'm sure he will. He's leaving on a high note.

Those videos were always corny and often embarrassing but it seems they did the trick with the loyal fans. I understand that video game execs are not hired to be Oscar nominees, so nevermind. What I had issues with is just what you mentioned about Reggie's PR speak in interviews and on stage. You could never get a sense that he was anything but his brand loyalty self all the time.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I would love if Reggie has one more video the day before he retires and it's just him saying "I have one last announcement "direct" to you" cue mother 3 trailer. My heart skip a beat in his last video when he said he has a title to drop and I misunderstood.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
You guys, I heard a rumor that Bowser is trying to sell the company to Microsoft. He won't get away with this!
e2a01c21852554ab12ed591f39097ecdea51f61c_hq.gif

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Why would he retire for that? Lol

No idea, I saw the post from ASayan and I thought,mmm maybe?

Maybe he doesn't agree with the strategy or he simply thought this would be the perfect time to call it quits, with the paradigm shifting.

Probably not but maybe?

I thought the same regarding Sony and Kodera/Ryan now, maybe they found out about the latest developments before they leaked and that swap is linked to that, as a first step fron Sony to change in response to it

Probably not though.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Seriously someone needs to ask him about Mother 3 one last time before he retires. I'm not even joking.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
So....

Either, Reggie made deals with Microsoft and signed legally binding contracts without the express consent of some of the guys in Japan so they are allowing him to retire as opposed to firing him.

Or, he doesn't like the deals with Microsoft and doesn't like the direction the company is going under it's new leadership in Japan so he's retiring.

Honestly, I think those are the two most likely scenarios.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What the heck with the conspiracy theories ITT. A dude retired. That's it.

Has there been a hint from Imran or Nate Drake that I missed that Reggie's resignation is linked to those rumours at all or is this just playing internet detective as embarrassing as it appears?