• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is your favorite Fire Emblem: Three Houses character?

• Bernadetta

Votes: 214 13.1%
  • Dorothea

Votes: 143 8.8%
  • Edelgard

Votes: 341 20.9%
  • Petra

Votes: 234 14.4%
  • I Picked The Wrong House When I Played Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Votes: 83 5.1%
  • Claude

Votes: 252 15.5%
  • Nothing to report!

Votes: 362 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
Leonie is secretly the best character. She's frugal as fuck, has great work ethic and just gets shit done. That woman ticks all my boxes.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Leonie is secretly the best character. She's frugal as fuck, has great work ethic and just gets shit done. That woman ticks all my boxes.

and the time-skip worked out particularly well for her.

I've only started using her now (since I didn't get her till chapter 10) but she is strong!

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I HEARD SOME DAMN KOREAN POLL WAS TRYING TO FIGHT ME AND LOST

Never forget the true original

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Claude is in the center because Nintendo knows who the main hero is

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Poll seems a little lopsided since Black Eagles is the most popular house.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
She ticks all the right boxes, but when she's talking to the avatar, all she sees in Jeralt, and that's all she'll ever talk about, even going as far as speaking to you as if you're not Jeralt's child and cares about him. She'll never see the avatar as their own person. She would be absolutely perfect otherwise.

syncyes

Oct 27, 2017
Polls at Korea's biggest Nintendo community

Best Class(Route)
1. Blue lions (33.9%)
2. Black Eagles (Empire) (31.6%)
3. Golden Deer (30.9%)
4. Church (3.5%)

Best Male Character
1. Dimitri (26.9%)
2. Claude (20.9%)
3. Ferdinand (9.6%)

Best Female Charcater
1. Lysithea (23.5%)
2. Edelgard (17%)
3. Bernadetta (11%)

Worst Character
1. Edelgard (30.2%)
2. Ignatz (16.4%)
3. Cyril (8.7%)

According to r/fireemblem some of the commentary on why people disliked characters was littered with derogatory language and a bit of homophobia so I'm very much side-eying this poll.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
According to r/fireemblem some of the commentary on why people disliked characters was littered with derogatory language and a bit of homophobia so I'm very much side-eying this poll.
I don't remember the poster saying it was littered with derogatory language, tho it happenned
But the major reason why Edelgard was most hated was because people were disappointed with her route and the fact she is authoritarian and Korea has quite a history with authoritarian regimes

Edit: Here is the thread

syncyes

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember the poster saying it was littered with derogatory language, tho it happenned
But the major reason why Edelgard was most hated was because people were disappointed with her route and the fact she is authoritarian and Korea has quite a history with authoritarian regimes

I didn't say anything about being bothered by Edelgard's results :P She's a divisive character, I'm sure she'd rank highly in worst character polls across the world LOL

This is more about me not being a fan of the poll in general since there was some gross behavior around it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say anything about being bothered by Edelgard's results :P She's a divisive character, I'm sure she'd rank highly in worst character polls across the world LOL

This is more about me not being a fan of the poll in general since there was some gross behavior around it.
Any popularity poll is going to have those voters that vote against characters for gross reasons. This poll isn't any different in that regard and shouldn't be discounted because of it. Especially when people have also provided plenty of reasoning that isn't gross.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Edelgard had a hand in Jeralt's dead so fuck her. I had trouble believing that Byleth would ever choose to save her after the crap she pulled. She even brought a sadist shitlord to murder the students. No wonder she is hated.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I would have said Bernie but a french youtuber / streamer i like pleaded the case of Dedue brilliantly with a very simple argument :

raoh.jpg
Dedue also reminds me to Okyasu's brother from JoJo part 4.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Edelgard had a hand in Jeralt's dead so fuck her. I had trouble believing that Byleth would ever choose to save her after the crap she pulled. She even brought a sadist shitlord to murder the students. No wonder she is hated.

I'm... pretty sure she doesn't have a hand in that, though. The game seemed to make it pretty clear. Krona and whoever seemed to have splintered off. Edelgard wanted Byleth as an ally, why would she kill Jeralt on purpose? You can even have Edelgard kill Krona.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Lots of people have lots of reasons but I can't help feeling like a not-insignificant portion of the backlash toward Edelgard owes to her being a woman

Not to say that everyone who dislikes her is a misogynist, but I do think that if she were a man then she wouldn't be nearly as "divisive" as she is now—Walhart manages to have enduring popularity at least partially because he looks like Raoh, in spite of being both a worse-written character and a "worse person" (insofar as that label can be applied to fictional characters) than Edelgard

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people have lots of reasons but I can't help feeling like a not-insignificant portion of the backlash toward Edelgard owes to her being a woman

Not to say that everyone who dislikes her is a misogynist, but I do think that if she were a man then she wouldn't be nearly as "divisive" as she is now—Walhart manages to have enduring popularity at least partially because he looks like Raoh, in spite of being both a worse-written character and a "worse person" (insofar as that label can be applied to fictional characters) than Edelgard

I don't think this is true at all. I do think there's some pushback against her due to the results of her fans ... being a little too enthusiastic in their devotion, however she is clearly the most important character in this game and the plot focuses on 100% her actions.

And I don't think your Walhart comparison works at all, Walhart is not nearly as important to Awakening as Edelgard to this game, and he's probably has 1/10,000 the popularity that she has.

Last edited:

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I don't think this is true at all. I do think there's some pushback against her due to the results of her fans ... being a little too enthusiastic in her devotion, however she is clearly the most important character in this game and the plot focuses on 100% her actions.

And I don't think your Walhart comparison works at all, Walhart is not nearly as important to Awakening as Edelgard to this game, and he's probably has 1/10,000 the popularity that she has.
It's true that the backlash against her doesn't change the fact that she's probably the most popular character from the game, but I don't think that actually counters anything that I said

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017

I'm genuinely confused as to where Walhart is considered someone with enduring popularity.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I'm genuinely confused as to where Walhart is considered someone with enduring popularity.
Hm, you might be right. I do remember he did well in popularity polls back in the dya, and people still like their Raoh memes

But is that the only element of my post you take issue with, or is this a lead-in to say that you feel the general thrust of it is invalid?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

I would argue the opposite that a lot of people overlook that she's a god damned warmonger cause she's a cute girl.

The fact anyone actually likes past part 1 her is befuddling.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, you might be right. I do remember he did well in popularity polls back in the dya, and people still like their Raoh memes

But is that the only element of my post you take issue with, or is this a lead-in to say that you feel the general thrust of it is invalid?

Honestly, I think it's somewhat of the opposite situation. I think more people were more readily willing to get behind her considering she's a woman, and one of the first truly prominent female FE lords that wasn't a "choose your gender" avatar. (Sorry micaiah and erika).

But it's really hard to say, and I'd rather not stir shit in one way or another. I definitely don't put it past some assholes to hate her *because* she's a woman, like you see with Captain Marvel and the like, but I think Edelgard is a controversial character no matter how you slice it. I think what causes the divide is that you have the option of playing GD and (even more so) BL, both of which paint her in a far less flattering light. Add in the fact that she's easily the most most chosen route in the game, and you get some "sports" mentality where people who chose the two lesser picked houses are gonna have some silly fan resentment.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Edelgard is:

The house leader of one of the three classes and a major playable presence in the game, only to later reveal she's been working against the Monastery the entire time and engaged in actions that led to the tragedy at Remire and Jeralt's death. (She can deny her involvement all she wants, but she cast her lot with Those Who Slither and she needs to own up to that.) She then goes on an imperial conquest to unite Fodlan because fuck the Church, except the Church had nothing to do with the experiments that were performed on her and her family. Despite being a playable character, she actively deceives and backstabs the player while enacting a goal of continental conquest.

To brush any of that off with "Well, she's hated because she's a woman," is kind of absurd. Even more so to compare her to a thinly written secondary villain like Walhart.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Hmm, I feel like this conversation isn't going to end up being constructive. I'll excuse myself.

Honestly, I think it's somewhat of the opposite situation. I think more people were more readily willing to get behind her considering she's a woman, and one of the first truly prominent female FE lords that wasn't a "choose your gender" avatar. (Sorry micaiah and erika).

But it's really hard to say, and I'd rather not stir shit in one way or another. I definitely don't put it past some assholes to hate her *because* she's a woman, like you see with Captain Marvel and the like, but I think Edelgard is a controversial character no matter how you slice it. I think what causes the divide is that you have the option of playing GD and (even more so) BL, both of which paint her in a far less flattering light. Add in the fact that she's easily the most most chosen route in the game, and you get some "sports" mentality where people who chose the two lesser picked houses are gonna have some silly fan resentment.
I'll agree there's definitely a sports fan factor to it, too, but I would be very hesitant to discount the way her gender informs people's reactions to her, and it's rare in the extreme that those (often unconscious) biases skew positive.

Thank you for the nice interaction.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i find it funny that Hilda is the only classmate to question the overly amount of time Edelgard spents with Kronya. She knows what's up, and is the reason why you can't recruit her in the BE route.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Edelgard is loved and hated because she's willing to do the work to shake up the status quo. Figures like that are rarely ever universally praised off the bat.

Jeralt also spends the entire time leading up to that telling you not to trust Rhea and the church and surprise, he was right.