• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
Despite all the news surrounding the ubiquitous Joy-Con drift and how Nintendo of America are no longer requiring proof-of-purchase or an active warranty for Joy-Con repairs, Switch owners in Europe have had no such luck and are finding they have to pay up if they want working controllers:

This is no breaking news but Nintendo France still won't fix the Joycons for free. Numerama sent one and it was still 45 € (15 € for sending it back if you refuse the cost estimate!)

devis_joy_con-1024x432.jpg

"We then had the following choices:
- Accept the quote, send it back and pay 45 euros;
- Refuse the quote and request the destruction of our controller;
- Refuse the quote and pay 15 euros (!) for Nintendo France to return our controller;
- Miraculously retrieve the invoice and send the proof by mail (which we did)."

As discussed in the other thread, we should probably have a place to discuss non-American experiences with Nintendo Customer Service, advise others, and hopefully put some pressure on Nintendo to roll out their American policy to other territories as this really doesn't seem like a particularly infrequent hardware issue.

Eurogamer have recieved no comment from NoE when contacted, and GamesRadar have an article on how to fix it yourself, but really NoE should be adopting NoA's policy here.

If you've attempted this process, what's your personal experience been like? If they offered you repair cost estimates as in the above quote, could you please post them in the thread?

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
NoE should fix this - especially since those controllers aren't cheap and a essential part of the Switch experience, they are selling to customers.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I thought it strange when that Nintendo of Europe ignoring the Joy-Con issue thread showed up, but I didn't realize it meant that Nintendo of Europe wasn't following through with free Joy-Con repairs.

It is a pretty bad look when Nintendo of America has acknowledged the issue and is fixing controllers free of charge.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Despite all the news surrounding the ubiquitous Joy-Con drift and how Nintendo of America are no longer requiring proof-of-purchase or an active warranty for Joy-Con repairs, Switch owners in Europe have had no such luck and are finding they have to pay up if they want working controllers:

As discussed in the other thread, we should probably have a place to discuss non-American experiences with Nintendo Customer Service, advise others, and hopefully put some pressure on Nintendo to roll out their American policy to other territories as this really doesn't seem like a particularly infrequent hardware issue.

Eurogamer have recieved no comment from NoE when contacted, and GamesRadar have an article on how to fix it yourself, but really NoE should be adopting NoA's policy here.

If you've attempted this process, what's your personal experience been like? If they offered you repair cost estimates as in the above quote, could you please post them in the thread?
We've had a thread like this on Monday. Do we really need another? It's bad but focus on one, imo.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo deserves a class-action lawsuit over this. This is no way to treat paying customers when you make a shoddy product.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually a proper example of blatant anti-consumer practice. What on earth are they thinking? And in Europe no less.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Knowing NoA got their act together regarding this issue I expected NoE to do the same. Anyone know if Bergsala is pulling the same shit?

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
At least we have better special editions.

They really should adress this, not a good look at all, NoE

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how NoE's service team is structured vs NoA? Does NoE use an internal or an external third party for repairs in Europe? If external; is it a different provider than NoA. There has to be some logistical reason that's preventing NoE from covering the costs.

Last edited:

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how NoE's service team is structured vs NoA? Does NoE use an internal or an external third party for repairs in Europe? If external; is it a different provider than NoA. There has to be some logistical reason that's preventing NoE from covering the costs.
It shouldn't matter to consumers either way. Nintendo is the one selling a faulty product so they should shoulder the cost.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't matter to consumers either way. Nintendo is the one selling a faulty product so they should shoulder the cost.
It matters. EU typically has longer warranty terms then NA due to laws and has to be structured to support the added cost of those longer product life cycles. NoA was likely able to implement the policy change quicker than NoE due to how they're structured for services. Companies don't just role out policies that affect one region but not another unless there's a roadblock.

Last edited:

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So someone knows what the current situation in Europe is?
My left Joycon stick is broken and I probably have to send it in at this point.

Would be really pissed if I have to pay up for this and then have to wait like three weeks for them to repair it.

If it's really 45€ I might as well buy a whole new pair without the long wait.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Annoying as my recent joy-cons have now developed the drifting issue just after a year, so now bought a 3rd pair.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Nintendo are a joke and wouldn't have did anything in US if they didn't have a class action lawsuit against them there.

Oct 30, 2017
My left joy-con has this drift problem. I'm in EU so I have low hopes NOE will repair it for free. Is this problem fixed in new joy-cons?

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Silly question but have Nintendo rectified the flaw causing the propensity to drift or are we in a RROD cycle where the fundamental issue may reoccur on the repaired or replaced device?

Jun 1, 2018

OP when did you buy the joycons? Are you still within warranty (1 year in EU)?

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd really like for there to be some concentrated effort to get Nintendo to repair their shitty joycons for free. It's ridiculous that they expect us to pay when they essentially sold us ticking time bombs. Both of my joycon are completely screwed by drift now and I'm not paying for repairs nor am I going to pay for a new pair when they'll just inevitably drift as well. Nintendo need to make a statement that they've updated the design of the sticks so drifting will no longer occur and also that they'll offer free repairs for stick drift worldwide.

Nintendo's quality control has been absolute dogshit this gen, between the joycon drift and the pro controller's dpad that they still haven't bothered correcting either it's ridiculous.

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Silly question but have Nintendo rectified the flaw causing the propensity to drift or are we in a RROD cycle where the fundamental issue may reoccur on the repaired or replaced device?
Pretty sure a fix would require changing the sticks they use, that or a considerable redesign, and I would be surprised if they were interested at all in doing that, I honestly doubt they give a fuck at this point.

Sep 4, 2019
Scotland
I'm in the UK and sent my left Joy-Con in for stick drift and right Joy-Con in for desync and dropped inputs.

Identified a faulty stick in both, repaired them and sent them back free of charge. Sticks are great again but desync is worse than ever. They also repaired them and sent them back separately, it was a little weird but hey, mostly fixed for free. I seem to be a rare case though?

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
My friend got his fixed a month or so ago (in England). When he sent them in, he added a letter stating that UK law gives us the 6 year warranty on defects etc (someone posted that actual law above).

Nintendo UK repaired his Joy Cons for free.

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd really like for there to be some concentrated effort to get Nintendo to repair their shitty joycons for free. It's ridiculous that they expect us to pay when they essentially sold us ticking time bombs. Both of my joycon are completely screwed by drift now and I'm not paying for repairs nor am I going to pay for a new pair when they'll just inevitably drift as well. Nintendo need to make a statement that they've updated the design of the sticks so drifting will no longer occur and also that they'll offer free repairs for stick drift worldwide.

Nintendo's quality control has been absolute dogshit this gen, between the joycon drift and the pro controller's dpad that they still haven't bothered correcting either it's ridiculous.
Fun fact: Pro Controllers are also prone to stick drifting issues

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
anyone having problems with drift, this method works well. i've tried it 3 times now and each time it take 4 or 5 months before it comes back. (just don't spray as much as the guy in the video, one or two puffs is enough)

OP
OP
Kyonashi

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
OP when did you buy the joycons? Are you still within warranty (1 year in EU)?

No, they're the ones that came with my console at launch.

My friend got his fixed a month or so ago (in England). When he sent them in, he added a letter stating that UK law gives us the 6 year warranty on defects etc (someone posted that actual law above).

Nintendo UK repaired his Joy Cons for free.

Don't suppose you could paste the text your friend included here for others to use?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
anyone having problems with drift, this method works well. i've tried it 3 times now and each time it take 4 or 5 months before it comes back. (just don't spray as much as the guy in the video, one or two puffs is enough)

It's what I've been doing clarity but from what I understand, the design flaw might actually cause permanent damage in the long run.

This is really just putting a band-aid on an infected wound and until we get some clarity on the matter, I'm not buying any new joycons. I am also quite worried about the Switch Lite. Do we know if it's using the same analogue sticks?