• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo UK:

Phone
+44 (0)345 60 50 247

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm
Saturday 9am to 2pm

Email
[email protected]

Chat

20190812_145119.jpg

20190812_145146.jpg

20190812_145214.jpg

20190812_145443.jpg

20190812_145505.jpg

20190812_145527.jpg

Screenshot_20190812-145407_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Might wanna quote those pictures.
For these kind of services you will always have better luck via E-Mail or Phone - then again i heard some bad things from the Nintendo UK customer report compared to France, Germany and co.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
For these kind of services you will always have better luck via E-Mail or Phone - then again i heard some bad things from the Nintendo UK customer report compared to France, Germany and co.

Quoted thanks. I've tried phoning multiple times in the past before NoA had acknowledged, and once after. Same result :(

Oct 28, 2017
I contacted NintendoUK shortly after they started fixing them for free in America. Their response was the typical one you'd expect:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for contacting the Nintendo UK Customer Support Team regarding your Nintendo Switch.

Please note we cannot comment on this matter. Should you have any trouble with your Joy-Con however, we will be happy to help you out.

Based on your description, we would kindly advise you try the following troubleshooting steps: blah blah blah

They then go on to tell me if the troubleshooting steps don't work they'll happily fix it for a fee. The pricks.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's the same everywhere. Nintendo's stance on the Joycon issue is that their usual warranty conditions apply - and under those you've got to pay for the repair once the warranty time has passed. Maybe you'll get lucky if you call them and talk to a particularly helpful employee, but that won't really change the overall problem of NoE generally refusing help in this matter.

Maybe preasuring NoE will change something, but at the end of the day: NoA changed its course because of the class action lawsuit and NoE doesn't have to fear anything like that.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
What I dont understand is... Aren't developers having this issue? Don't the higher ups at NoJ know about this? When journalists get a chance to speak to people like Bill and others from tree house, why do they not mention this issue?

Obviously they must be aware. Why are people ignoring this? You literally can't play games that use the stick. It baffles my mind.

Developers are clearly aware of the Pro controller Dpad issues, yet Nintendo does nothing about that either: https://www.resetera.com/threads/te...hitty-pro-controller.111772/#js-post-19888331

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Quoted thanks. I've tried phoning multiple times in the past before NoA had acknowledged, and once after. Same result :(
Thats a bummer - did you make the phone calls post the recent news and the NoA statement ?
Either way you are gonna have more luck with an E-Mail where you clearly state your issue sand ask for help (thats better than straight up demanding it like you did in the chat) - list all necessary details like the number of Joy-Cons and when they were purchased.

You are usually gonna get a better response there than from a Nintendo Live Chat.
Nah, it's the same everywhere. Nintendo's stance on the Joycon issue is that their usual warranty conditions apply - and under those you've got to pay for the repair once the warranty time has passed. Maybe you'll get lucky if you call them and talk to a particularly helpful employee, but that won't really change the overall problem of NoE generally refusing help in this matter.

Maybe preasuring NoE will change something, but at the end of the day: NoA changed its course because of the class action lawsuit and NoE doesn't have to fear anything like that.
Oh well...that sucks.
They have been always able to help me in some way via E-Mail or Phone in Germany....weird that they have such a hard stance against Joy-Con fixes.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
NoA does that because of class action.
We don't have that in Europe, but the process is in a good way.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
Thats a bummer - did you make the phone calls post the recent news and the NoA statement ?
Either way you are gonna have more luck with an E-Mail where you clearly state your issue sand ask for help (thats better than straight up demanding it like you did in the chat) - list all necessary details like the number of Joy-Cons and when they were purchased.

You are usually gonna get a better response there than from a Nintendo Live Chat.

I'll give it a week and then will write a very detailed e-mail and post it here, let's see how it goes.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
As long as NoE doesn't come with some kind of statement or plan of action I'm afraid this is all you'll get from customer support. They really can't do anything about it. Bombarding them with complaints will do very little.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
So they are aware of it. This makes me wonder. Do Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of America communicate directly? Or do they both just talk with NoJ.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So they are aware of it. This makes me wonder. Do Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of America communicate directly? Or do they both just talk with NoJ.
Of course they communicate. But if there is no "reason" for them to follow suit (a reason being, for example, class action lawsuits ), they don't need to change their policy.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I also got charged for a repair in Japan a few weeks ago, after NOA decided to repair Joy-Cons for free.

It's shocking how Nintendo thinks they can get away with only offering defect repair in one region.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
Nintendo America has never officially accepted there is an issue. We know from a leaked document that they know of the issue and have have a free fix in place(prompted by the lawsuit). Nintendo Europe also won't accept there is an issue and won't fix for free as there is no lawsuit in Europe.

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Did you still have proof of purchase you had to provide? Did they not say anything about the date on it?

I did provide proof of purchase and I was expecting to have to pay to be honest. Next thing I got an email saying repair was in progress and then a week or two they were shipped back to me with no charge. I would have argued my case if they had tried to charge.

Not sure if this has happened to others or was a one off!

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I tried and these bastards told me where to go.

They won't repair their knowingly defective products and it's sickening.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Also in Germany there is no free joycon repair: https://www.gamepro.de/artikel/nintendo-joy-con-drift-gratis-reparatur,3346931.html
I was going to RMA mine, but now it looks pointless.
Could we make a list?

UK: No (official answer)
Germany: No (based on article)
Netherlands: Yes (based on user comment on reddit)
France: No (based on note at the end)

US: Yes (internal notice)
Latin America: Yes (thread)
Japan: No (comment higher)

- ---------------------------- -

In Belgium last monday contact.nintendo.be just refered me back to NOE's warranty policy when I asked if they would fix it for free. Such policy includes that they could fix it at their discretion - but to contact... customer service for more informations on pricing.
If the above 12-month warranty period has expired at the time the defect is notified to Nintendo or if the defect is not covered by this warranty, Nintendo may still be prepared to repair or replace the part causing the defect or replace the relevant element of the Product (at its sole discretion). For further information or, in particular, details of any charges for such services, please contact Nintendo Customer Support.

Gotta love circular answers...

My brother is preparing to send the joy-cons anyway and see what they say. But I'm hesitating about fixing them myself instead...

Last edited:

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Nintendo America has never officially accepted there is an issue. We know from a leaked document that they know of the issue and have have a free fix in place(prompted by the lawsuit). Nintendo Europe also won't accept there is an issue and won't fix for free as there is no lawsuit in Europe.
Even if they haven't accepted the issues but know about it are we suppose to let it pass because they haven't "officially accepted" the issue?

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
Even if they haven't accepted the issues but know about it are we suppose to let it pass because they haven't "officially accepted" the issue?

No. But it's weird that non Americans think Nintendo Europe would openly accepted there is an issue (which could be used in the US lawsuit) or would fix for free (which is Nintendo America trying to cut the legs off the lawsuit). I agree it's shit that they have a known issue and not doing the right thing to fix it but they are a company which only cares about their bottom line.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017

Even though they haven't formally accepted it, they are fixing it for free and this shows that they have accepted that there is some sort of issue. All of Nintendo should follow suit... otherwise it just proves they are doing it to avoid a lawsuit. It's really frustrating.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo Europe is purely the worst customer service I've ever faced. If you look for my thread I bought these 2 n'es classic controller. Got money taken. An email that it was sent. Waited 2 month. Got nothing from France (it's dealt in Germany they say ) calling germany nothing. I even tried Uk customer service. Abysmal. Nobody knew were my order was. No tracking number. I asked a refund they're still « evaluating it » (8 month after )

thanksfully Im a good customer in my bank with a lot of insurance and as someone told me I asked my money back. Didn't need any paper i just showed my Nintendo mail to my bank and they agreed

i will never ever buy anything on Nintendo official website.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
Even though they haven't formally accepted it, they are fixing it for free and this shows that they have accepted that there is some sort of issue. All of Nintendo should follow suit... otherwise it just proves they are doing it to avoid a lawsuit. It's really frustrating.

They are only doing it in the US to cut the legs off the lawsuit. If there was no lawsuit they would not being fixing for free in the US either. Shit I know but that's the reality.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
I did provide proof of purchase and I was expecting to have to pay to be honest. Next thing I got an email saying repair was in progress and then a week or two they were shipped back to me with no charge. I would have argued my case if they had tried to charge.

Not sure if this has happened to others or was a one off!

Perhaps they aren't bothered about the warranty as long as you provide proof of purchase? It might be worth giving it a go...

Nov 18, 2017
The lack of a class action in Europe is really the key to solving this. Any brave Era lawyers willing to throw up a gofundme for a court case in europe?

Game Journalists are so america centric that we really cannot rely on them to make this an issue for Nintendo of Europe considering the situation is fine now in america.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo Europe is purely the worst customer service I've ever faced. If you look for my thread I bought these 2 n'es classic controller. Got money taken. An email that it was sent. Waited 2 month. Got nothing from France (it's dealt in Germany they say ) calling germany nothing. I even tried Uk customer service. Abysmal. Nobody knew were my order was. No tracking number. I asked a refund they're still « evaluating it » (8 month after )

thanksfully Im a good customer in my bank with a lot of insurance and as someone told me I asked my money back. Didn't need any paper i just showed my Nintendo mail to my bank and they agreed

i will never ever buy anything on Nintendo official website.

That sucks. Sorry to hear.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Sad seeing a shitty built product by Nintendo. Other than N64 controller drift(that one is on me and Mario party) and the DS hinge problem their hardware has seemed rock solid from my experiences. This stuff with the joycons is pretty lame. If the US and Asia branches recognize the problem you would think their European counterparts would as well!

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
I think it might be wise to contact the The European Consumer Organisation. There are harsh penalties for companies regarding this kind of thing in the EU. Here's a link for anyone interested: https://www.beuc.eu/consumer-rights-enforcement#contact-card-anchor

I'll be calling them tomorrow to see if there is anything they can do or to provide some sort of advice on what to do in these matters.

Thank you. Please let us know and if it helps I'll be happy to contact them too.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Thank you. Please let us know and if it helps I'll be happy to contact them too.
Will do. The more people contact them about the issue, the more likely it is they end up looking into it. I don't have any joy-cons that suffer from drift, but many of my good friends do. I'd encourage those of you with the actual issue to call in and post here what they told you. I am going to be making the call to get some general information to kick start the process.

KingKonga

Oct 30, 2017
Let's hope they acknowledge the issue in germany. My launch left joy con has the drift problem and playing in handheld mode is annoying af.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Here in Spain, I sent my right JoyCon because the bumper was failing (This one had no drift after a year and a half, the other did but it was solvable by means of electric contact cleaner) and they said they had replaced both the bumper and the joystick. (Despite me not noticing anything at all) In reality they sent a new JoyCon.

That said, this was during the regular warranty period.

Dorkmgl

Oct 26, 2017
What I dont understand is... Aren't developers having this issue? Don't the higher ups at NoJ know about this? When journalists get a chance to speak to people like Bill and others from tree house, why do they not mention this issue?

Obviously they must be aware. Why are people ignoring this? You literally can't play games that use the stick. It baffles my mind.

Developers are clearly aware of the Pro controller Dpad issues, yet Nintendo does nothing about that either: https://www.resetera.com/threads/te...hitty-pro-controller.111772/#js-post-19888331

Without getting into it not only do they deny it to developers they actively encourage you not to not call attention to it via programming or features similar to the PSVR drift problems so that the developers can't be used as an avenue to prove that there is a problem.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda weird, in a good way of course, that Nintendo do offer free joycon repairs in the Netherlands, but the surrounding countries don't.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
The EU consumer protection people will be the most helpful to put NOE's feet near the flames and change their minds.
Disappointing as NOE are usually top quality compared to the stateside company.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Could this be a legal issue? Like, if they admit it, they could be liable to massive damages?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I think if they're aknowledging it in other places then it's all a matter of time for europe

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Under UK consumer law limited warranty means 6 years where a manufacturer has admitted to a design fault / flaw that didn't materialise within the standard warranty period
Just had to use this on a 2015 Apple Watch with a swollen battery to get them to fix/swap for free
As Nintendo have acknowledged this in USA this should apply

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, did you expect a low level CSR to care that alot of people on the internet are discussing it?
yes NOE needs to acknowledge it, but its not going to happen over a customer chat.

watwatwat

Nov 1, 2017
Do you still know where you bought these different joycons and do you still own the receipts? You might wanna try to claim your rights under the European consumer law. In a lot of countries in EU this is via your reseller however. I work support for another company entirely and I often see our customers are eligble for this, after their limited warranty with us (the manufacturer) has expired. You'd have to look up what rules apply to your country though.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
My launch joy-cons are working just fine, but my also launch Pro Controller's D-pad is terrible in games like Tetris 99... I wish Nintendo would acknowledge it.

Status
Not open for further replies.