• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
https://old.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/ahlwy4/nintendo_europe_to_raise_eshop_prices_on_south/

fqzqc1n1pdb21.png

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any South African users here who can tell us about how eShop prices for Nintendo games compare to physical prices in local stores? If so, thank you so much.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Feel for the people of South Africa that got dealt a bad hand because people were abusing their region pricing.

edit: if that's the case here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Thanks to all the people abusing the regional pricing, what a shame.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Is this a response to people "abusing" the system since the Switch is region free ? (myself included)

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Not surprising due to how people are exploiting those prices.
Same thing than what happened to the mexican eshop before, shame for the locals.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I just want to point out that the news only mentions Nintendo published games, so third party games are supposedly gonna maintain their current price.

Oct 30, 2017
It was fun while it lasted. Sucks for those people living there, would've expected them to crack down on the location switching instead.

I'll have to see the exact pricing differences but I knew this would happen and it would make me sell my Switch. The cheap ass indies was the biggest use that I got out of the system.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
Ah well it was nice for a while.

RIP region switching, I'll never forget that time I got Sonic Mania day 1 for $8USD

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It was fun while it lasted. Sucks for those people living there, would've expected them to crack down on the location switching instead.

I'll have to see the exact pricing differences but I knew this would happen and it would make me sell my Switch. The cheap ass indies was the biggest use that I got out of the system.
It's only for Nintendo games so you can still exploit indie devs.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
The silly thing here is, it's not like it was even much cheaper in those shops really. They were basically equivalent to normal retail prices in EU for physical copies.

Just means less people will buy digtal really. Prices are stupid in comparison to Physical.

krg

Oct 27, 2017

This is for Nintendo games only though..not indies.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The silly thing here is, it's not like it was even much cheaper in those shops really. They were basically equivalent to normal retail prices in EU for physical copies.

Just means less people will buy digtal really. Prices are stupid in comparison to Physical.
Pretty much. Bought games digitally on the SA (And sometimes Russia) out of convenience, but I could have got them physically for the same price and will do so in the future. (Just don't buy them in GAME, that place is ridiculously expensive)
Taking advantage of good deals is not illegal or immoral. As a consumer my moral obligation is to veil for my own interest. If digital games have outrageous prices in my region and reasonable ones in others, I'll buy in those other regions. Zelda BOTW is 60USD in the American eShop, and 80USD in the EU. Fuck that. I can legally buy it cheaper, and I will. Stop that "poor companies" nonsense.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I abuse regional pricing by setting my region to eu, rather than swiss eshop.

Cant wait til, they raise prices to match swiss prices(aka 10-20€+).

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry but why is it abuse for people to get the best deal when shopping for games.
Why should I feel bad for getting the best price I can?
Regional pricing differences exist to reflect the reality of variable standards of living that exist between countries and continents. Lower prices in a region that is not your own generally indicate that the average wage earned in that region is relatively lower. (I'm aware there are additional concerns, e.g. relative piracy rates, that have been a guiding factor for some digital stores' pricing policies.)

I don't have a huge problem with an individual consumer exploiting that; usually, I'd imagine that anybody well off enough to not mind paying slightly extra wouldn't bother with the extra work involved in circumventing their region's prices. On the other hand, the end result here is that SA and RU customers get shafted.

Deleted member 1105

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed that Nintendo published games were almost never cheaper when looking at other regions though, it was only indie games that ever had lower prices, so how would the abuse of cheaper prices for indies make them raise prices for first party content?

I really hate the idea that only big corporations are allowed to use the global market, consumers are shamed for it.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just want to point out that the news only mentions Nintendo published games, so third party games are supposedly gonna maintain their current price.
This happened to the Mexican eshop? They still have cheaper games than the US. I recently bought into the breach for about $5 usd on the Mexican eshop

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
"people exploiting regional pricing" doesn't mean everybody was exploting. I got Tetris Effect on launch for 27€ on PSN Indonesia, the other option was waiting for it to drop in price (costs 40 in Europe) and I am sure I would not pay more than 15 for it (if I waited X months for it to be 30, I can wait more X for it to be 20 or 15), so in the end they got almost the double of the money from me.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Regional pricing differences exist to reflect the reality of variable standards of living that exist between countries and continents. Lower prices in a region that is not your own generally indicate that the average wage earned in that region is relatively lower.

I don't have a huge problem with an individual consumer exploiting that; usually, I'd imagine that anybody well off enough to not mind paying slightly extra wouldn't bother with the extra work involved in circumventing their region's prices. On the other hand, the end result here is that SA and RU customers get shafted.
I mean sure, but I think their point is why blame the consumers taking advantage of globalisation and not the company?

It's always big companies who shut down these avenues, the same big companies that take advantage of globalisation every single day themselves, but won't dare let anyone else take advantage of it too.
I noticed that Nintendo published games were almost never cheaper when looking at other regions though, it was only indie games that ever had lower prices, so how would the abuse of cheaper prices for indies make them raise prices for first party content?

I really hate the idea that only big corporations are allowed to use the global market, consumers are shamed for it.
Well as I said in my post above. The stupid thing about this change is, they weren't that much cheaper. They were basically equivalent to the price Europeans pay for physical copies in most retail stores(excluding the expensive high street ones like GAME).

The only reason why someone would take advantage of it was if they preffered a digital copy for the same price. All the change means is people will continue to go back to buying games physical only, which funnily enough, means Nintendo gets even less money due to retailer cuts, lol.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I mean sure, but I think their point is why blame the consumers taking advantage of globalisation and not the company?

It's always big companies who shut down these avenues, the same big companies that take advantage of globalisation every single day themselves, but won't dare let anyone else take advantage of it too.
I didn't notice the poster I quoted indicating that contrast, but sure, that's a reasonable question. I guess my answer is that I don't think it's particularly noble when companies do it either. On that line of thought, they're really on different scales. Corporate exploitation destroys lives and communities.

Which makes me think that pointing at that and saying, "These things are comparable. I want to be able to do that," makes me think, one, they're not, and two, really?

I guess I don't have a good answer. Like I said, I don't have an issue with individuals exploiting regional pricing differences. I'd imagine it's people who are managing their budget most carefully who are most price sensitive anyway. (This is not a judgmental statement.)

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Personally i've abused regional locking only once for Sonic Mania because i found buying from other non European eshops was more difficult than i thought, i didn't know you can't use Visa Electron in other continents.

I have to say that for me sometimes is "less than X euro or nothing" and i said no to many good games because of that since you can't play everything, so that will hurt sales a little for sure.

Deleted member 1105

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no evidence that this change is related to people using region switching. Stop jumping to conclusions.