• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but why is it abuse for people to get the best deal when shopping for games.
Why should I feel bad for getting the best price I can?

Because cost of living and therefore wage is different by country and this potentially screws over people who actually have to live in the third world countries who earns fraction of what anyone in the US does?

Being able to price by region is very important to actually allow people in poorer countries to even have a chance to buy the games.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
what's next? they'll make the JP eshop region locked? JP eShop has very similar prices to the current SA and RU shops for most 1st party games.
what about the US esho which has cheaper prices than any EU eshop? will they lock that too?

Because cost of living and therefore wage is different by country and this potentially screws over people who actually have to live in the third world countries who earns fraction of what anyone in the US does?

Being able to price by region is very important to actually allow people in poorer countries to even have a chance to buy the games.

if that's true, then why is the US eshop one of the cheapest ones? the US isn't a 3rd world country.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
I mean sure, but I think their point is why blame the consumers taking advantage of globalisation and not the company?

So you're saying we should be blaming companies for releasing games at prices that people can afford in poorer countries due to different standards of living and not the consumers from much more fortunate countries that take advantage of it?

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't notice the poster I quoted indicating that contrast, but sure, that's a reasonable question. I guess my answer is that I don't think it's particularly noble when companies do it either. On that line of thought, they're really on different scales. Corporate exploitation destroys lives and communities.

Which makes me think that pointing at that and saying, "These things are comparable. I want to be able to do that," makes me think, one, they're not, and two, really?

I guess I don't have a good answer. Like I said, I don't have an issue with individuals exploiting regional pricing differences. I'd imagine it's people who are managing their budget most carefully who are most price sensitive anyway. (This is not a judgmental statement.)
Oh, I don't think they're quite comparable due to scale, as you say. Especially since one can argue if you're buying goods from another country technically you're actually helping their economy by spending in it. It's more that I find the entire thing a bit hypocritical you know, people are fast to blame consumers doing this even though it actually wouldn't negatively affect the citizens if it wasn't for corporate greed. Yet the same companies are doing it every single day and no complaints there.
So you're saying we should be blaming companies for releasing games at prices that people can afford in poorer countries due to different standards of living and not the consumers from much more fortunate countries that take advantage of it?
No, I'm saying that maybe you should blame the big corporate companies for raising their prices instead of consumers taking advantage of globalisation.

As I've just said, if it wasn't for the big companies raising their prices instead of accepting the practice, it wouldn't even be a negative for those regions. It could be seen as a positive due to more spending in their economy.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I don't think they're quite comparable due to scale, as you say. Especially since one can argue if you're buying goods from another country technically you're actually helping their economy by spending in it. It's more that I find the entire thing a bit hypocritical you know, people are fast to blame consumers doing this even though it actually wouldn't negatively affect the citizens if it wasn't for corporate greed. Yet the same companies are doing it every single day and no complaints there.

No, I'm saying that maybe you should blame the big corporate companies for raising their prices instead of consumers taking advantage of globalisation.

As I've just said, if it wasn't for the big companies raising their prices instead of accepting the practice, it wouldn't even be a negative for those regions. It could be seen as a positive due to more spending in their economy.
I'm not convinced how much of an economic impact it would have, but I am quite amused at the idea of combined sales tax receipts from people taking advantage of regional pricing technically adding to tax revenue for South Africa now.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not convinced how much of an economic impact it would have, but I am quite amused at the idea of combined sales tax receipts from people taking advantage of regional pricing technically adding to tax revenue for South Africa now.
Oh yeah, it's probably not a lot, lol. Especially since really I doubt many people actually took advantage of it, as mentioned previously, they truly weren't any cheaper than retail copies in other EU countries(in the UK it was actually still dearer than physical most of the time). I'd imagine a lot of people are just like me where I've basically been conditioned into buying physical 99% of the time on console due to really poor European digital pricing.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
if that's true, then why is the US eshop one of the cheapest ones? the US isn't a 3rd world country.

Kind of obvious isn't it. It's only cheap relative to a more affluent country or other factors that skew the price. From a European perspective it's cheaper because you avoid paying VAT and sales tax isn't included in the base price either.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to all the people abusing the regional pricing, what a shame.
You do realize that it works both ways, right? There are lots of games that are more expensive in, say, the Mexican eShop than in the American eShop. Do you fault the Mexicans for using other regions?

For example, while the Mexican eshop does have quite a few indies that are considerably cheaper there than the US, most First Party Nintendo games run MX $1,399, which is $73 USD.

Ultra SF II? $63

Octopath Traveller? $73 USD

ARMS? Zelda: BOTW? XBC2, FE Warriors, Pokken? $83.79 USD

Literally every region has people who "abuse" regional pricing.
What eShop regions can the people in Russia and South Africa use to get cheaper games like you do?
Depends on the game, depends on the region. Like I said above, it's actually pretty case-by-case.

Last edited:

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017

This is nonsense. You clearly don't know how globalisation works.

For there to be a positive impact in the South African economy for example, then Nintendo should be moving their manufacturing plants there. That increases the GDP of South Africa, creates jobs, and is bringing money from Japan by investing in South Africa.

That's not what's happening here. This is a digital storefront where the minimum amount of money that the South African government would get is sales tax. All that other money spent by the consumer goes to Japan, not back to South Africa for the local businesses to invest with and thus improve their economy.

You are not making things better for South Africa like you claim you are, Nintendo raised the prices screwing over the local consumer because you are a cheapskate. Nintendo raised the prices because they are losing money from what they're projecting because you are taking advantage of a poorer country's regional pricing.

Do I really need to explain that a business needs money to operate before you shout Globalisation like a buzzword again?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Literally every region has people who "abuse" regional pricing.

And? ROW > Mexico, Russia, SA.

In addition to that, most people probably don't want to go out of their way to skim a few bucks off of the price. It's more convenient to just have the one regional shop, account, and payment method.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
This is a digital storefront where the minimum amount of money that the South African government would get is sales tax.
You do realise that is literally what I said, lmao. You're making it out as if I said something entirely different so you can go off on a tangent and not respond to the topic at hand of why you want to blame consumers and not Nintendo?

I'd agree with your point of it being morally wrong if we were talking about Indie developers that need all the money they can get. Nintendo though? Really, you're going to defend them raising the prices because people dared buy from another country? I'm sure poor Nintendo needs your defense force.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Not surprising due to how people are exploiting those prices.
Same thing than what happened to the mexican eshop before, shame for the locals.
There's nothing to exploit, at least in Russia.

For example,
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 4899 RUB ~ 74 USD (link)
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe 4199 RUB ~ 63.45 USD (link)
Zelda BotW 4899 RUB ~ 74 USD

It will hurt sales in that country.

I think even prices in UK now cheaper, which is funny :)

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing to exploit, at least in Russia.

For example,
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 4899 RUB ~ 74 USD (link)
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe 4199 RUB ~ 63.45 USD (link)
Zelda BotW 4899 RUB ~ 74 USD

It will hurt sales in that country.

Yup. People suuuuuuure love to blame the individual for capitalism's bullshit.

If it's only for Nintendo games then this really doesn't change much.
And it's also pretty concrete proof that this has nothing to do with people shopping outside their region. Nintendo First Party is actually more expensive in most countries than in America.

America has the cheapest AAA prices in the world, give or take a few cents.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but why is it abuse for people to get the best deal when shopping for games.
Why should I feel bad for getting the best price I can?
Because the cost of living for you versus somebody in SA is different. The lower prices reflect the market conditions so they pay the equivalent based on those factors.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo's regional pricing is usually dogshit. I am sure this is also going to affect their suggested conversion rates.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sad to hear, guess I will be using the japanese eShop more then. I get to play games earlier which is nice, but need to go through a few more hoops when paying, since my card won't work on Switch. It does work on my japanese 3DS though, and sometimes Amazon.co.jp has some pre-order savings.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because the cost of living for you versus somebody in SA is different. The lower prices reflect the market conditions so they pay the equivalent based on those factors.
Except not all the prices are lower and many prices are higher vs other regions. It's up to the publisher and in this case Nintendo was already charging those regions more. This isn't about people abusing regional pricing, regardless of how you feel about regional pricing.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plus, if you have debit/credit card for other country, it will be even more because of bank fees on conversion.
So that's interesting because NoA processes payments for all of North America. If you use an American PayPal account to buy from the Mexican eShop, or vice versa, there is no conversion fee and NoA shows up on your bank statement. And the software from both regions is functionally identical.

But, again, America has some of the cheapest Nintendo game prices in the world and they are considerably more expensive in Mexico so cross-region shopping is working both ways.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I stopped used this "loophole" due to Nintendo Online anyway, since I can't change my account region anymore without dropping out of the family account, and I'm not about to buy multiple games from multiple accounts and keep track of that mess.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stopped used this "loophole" due to Nintendo Online anyway, since I can't change my account region anymore without dropping out of the family account, and I'm not about to buy multiple games from multiple accounts and keep track of that mess.
It's actually really easy, i just have the one alt account, paid with paypal, and it has no effect on how I use the software. It's like i bought it from my main account.

Also, you might wanna make a Japanese account to get those Japan-exclusive NES Online games we aren't getting here like Joy Mech Fighter. You're already paying for it, you just aren't given convenient access to it.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
You can change regions all you like even when part of a family sub. I have my account set to the US due to Dragalia Lost, periodically swapping back to the UK to register games/redeem codes like the pirahna plant and it's not affected my nintendo online family sub. It tells you to turn off auto renewal but that's it.

electrolite77

Dec 30, 2017
That's a shame, they were cheaper on occasion though by no means always. I shop around regions and the US Store is often cheapest, sometimes even the U.K. one of you use Zeek. But then physical is often cheaper than that.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's actually really easy, i just have the one alt account, paid with paypal, and it has no effect on how I use the software. It's like i bought it from my main account.

Also, you might wanna make a Japanese account to get those Japan-exclusive NES Online games we aren't getting here like Joy Mech Fighter. You're already paying for it, you just aren't given convenient access to it.
You can change regions all you like even when part of a family sub. I have my account set to the US due to Dragalia Lost, periodically swapping back to the UK to register games/redeem codes like the pirahna plant and it's not affected my nintendo online family sub. It tells you to turn off auto renewal but that's it.
Ah, Interesting. Thanks guys. I guess I've been missing out a bit but I've been buying eShop games about 15% below retail so not a huge loss probably.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
what's next? they'll make the JP eshop region locked? JP eShop has very similar prices to the current SA and RU shops for most 1st party games.
what about the US esho which has cheaper prices than any EU eshop? will they lock that too?

US prices look lower than they actually are (or maybe it would be more accurate to say European prices look higher than they actually are) because they don't include sales tax.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know right it's called shopping around.

Some people go to different countries for shopping because it's cheaper for certain items.

I refuse to feel bad for shopping around for the best deal.
You absolutely shouldn't. We live in a capitalist society designed to exploit us for all we're worth. Save a buck any way you can.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
People will try to get their games for cheaper and there's nothing wrong with that. Also, inside the same region someone from Germany certainly doesn't make the same as someone from Portugal and the game prices are the same, so obviously someone from Portugal will tend to look around for something more affordable.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao at all the people thinking this is because too many people have been abusing the system.

Also, this is only for games published by Nintendo. The majority of games will still be cheaper on those eShops. If 'region scumming' was genuinely damaging, then all publishers would be either raising prices or putting pressure on Nintendo to make it more difficult to change your account country, or put a block on the number of times you can change it etc.

would've expected them to crack down on the location switching instead.

Well it's clearly not a response to location switching otherwise, as you say, they just would have done that, rather than risk a huge drop in sales by making their games more expensive. They just think that they can sell those games for a higher price, as Russia and SA are emerging markets for Nintendo and they were previously just establishing themselves. It's as simple as that.

I knew this would happen and it would make me sell my Switch. The cheap ass indies was the biggest use that I got out of the system.

1. This is only Nintendo-published games so indies won't be effected, and

2. How melodramatic can you get?! Selling your Switch because prices in another country are increasing a bit? Come on.

What eShop regions can the people in Russia and South Africa use to get cheaper games like you do?

Lmao what sort of argument is this? They're fucking digital files, no-one is depriving Russian and South African people of games. If another country had cheaper games then people in those countries would buy them there.

People need to stop climbing so far up the arse of massive global corporations.

Russia and SA are NOT third world countries, not even close.

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao what sort of argument is this? They're fucking digital files, no-one is depriving Russian and South African people of games. If another country had cheaper games then people in those countries would buy them there.

People need to stop climbing so far up the arse of massive global corporations.
People need to understand how globalization works and all the little factors that effect companies and consumers.

Cause like, only a few seem to understand how bad it can get that it can price a game out of the market it's in, as it became unsustainable for the game maker to maintain that cheaper price point meant solely for that specific market due to exploitation from other regions (This all happened to Shovel Knight in Mexico).

And y'all wonder why Steam removed stuff like regional gifting.

Oct 29, 2017
Be grateful that they're not clamping down on eShop region switching instead...

... We do have it really good right now. A truly region free Nintendo console is still really surreal and it's abuse like this that could well encourage them to take that freedom away.

Expect them to close any similar loopholes like this with other regions going forward too.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People need to understand how globalization works and all the little factors that effect companies and consumers.

Cause like, only a few seem to understand how bad it can get that it can price a game out of the market it's in, as it became unsustainable for the game maker to maintain that cheaper price point meant solely for that specific market due to exploitation from other regions (This all happened to Shovel Knight in Mexico).

And y'all wonder why Steam removed stuff like regional gifting.

Lol no. There are nowhere near enough people going to the trouble of switching their account country to save a few quid. If this was the case Nintendo would just stop region switching. Also you're gonna need to source that Shovel Knight thing.

DDayton

Oct 27, 2017
US prices look lower than they actually are (or maybe it would be more accurate to say European prices look higher than they actually are) because they don't include sales tax.
Well, in all fairness, that's due to the fact that the US has no national sales, unlike many other countries (via VAT or sales tax).

US eShop prices are correct for the the nation, but localities can add on taxes. Some don't -- California, for example, charges no sales tax on digital goods.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And people in brazil wonder why nintendo didn't made the eshop officially available around here yet.

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Lol no. There are nowhere near enough people going to the trouble of switching their account country to save a few quid. If this was the case Nintendo would just stop region switching. Also you're gonna need to source that Shovel Knight thing.

Shovel Knight on the Mexican eShop was the equivalent of $12 USD, then in the following post linked went up to $25 USD
https://www./threads/shovel-knight-treasures-trove-12-usd-on-mexican-eshop.1349910/post-231673513

Here's another example with Paladins:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...en-you-buy-from-foreign-digital-stores.48859/

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I will absolutely buy where I get it the cheapest, just like big companies will always pay their taxes (or lack thereof) where it's the most convenient for them. I do not care in the slightest about their business.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I will absolutely buy where I get it the cheapest, just like big companies will always pay their taxes (or lack thereof) where it's the most convenient for them. I do not care in the slightest about their business.
And you don't care that doing this makes this happen (raising those countries' prices)?

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
And you don't care that doing this makes this happen (raising those countries' prices)?
No, why would I care? They can raise the price if they want (I wouldn't complain about that, I would simply buy at the next cheapest option) but they have to accept the backlash from other players in said country then. I have to say I have not done this with Nintendo games because I refuse to buy their eShop stuff, but I have done this for some PC games and I would for Nintendo too if I bought games on the eShop.

In my opinion a lot of Nintendo games are overpriced too (NSMBU DX for example) but you have people defending that and now Nintendo raises the price to where everyone would pay about the same and all of a sudden it's bad and the "reason" for that is the living costs are different although they're drastically different in the same country anyway.

So like... Use whatever is cheapest for you and if that's still too much then don't buy and let Nintendo know.

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017

Europeans need to keep in mind the U.S. doesn't have tax automatically added into the price. There isn't a VAT in the U.S.