• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Will always be happy this game bombed hard. I remember the teasing of the crossover and people fantasizing some cool dark shit both the series are know for only to get idol garbage just made the message boards I ventured at the time go up in flames at that time. They want to piggyback of the current FE success. Good luck I guess, even the FE on the current switch is more mature.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Including the problematic content in a new release of the game is "continuing to pull that shit".
To come to this conclusion for TMS is putting a lot of faith and guessing into their intentions. If the devs really came out and said that this is their new intended version and that's why everyone gets it now I'd have a lot less problems with it, but again that's putting a lot of faith in them. It seems to me that they took the most recent Wii U version that was laying around and decided to use that one as a global SKU to not bother with version differences anymore. I doubt any of this is motivated by the drive to change or update the game's values. Hell we're still not 100% sure who decided on those changes originally, much less why they decided to make them global now. In short, nobody at any point ever took a stance about any of this.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Mom is the only one bothered by sexualized underage girls, remind me to stay away from Dad...
That's the reality of the idol industry in Japan, if you're going to be making a game about it it's not surprising that'd show up. Where TMS#FE faltered was that it didn't do enough to criticize the practice.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It already releases in Japan before, so why would they use the altered US version in Japan this time? Seems strange, unless it affected the rating differently than when it released on Wii U.
Because it's cheaper to just develop one version.. and they're probably going to sell more copies in Western countries than in Japan.

This bombed on WiiU and it's gonna sell even less on Switch lmao.
Without much difficulty I think it'll probably sell at least 3 times as many copies total as the Wii U version. Switch games are selling well across the board. I see no reason why this can't get to at least 1m copies sold worldwide.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
gotta love the grim despairing tone of some posters in here contrasted with one of the major changes being two characters no longer being underage.

also the constant insistence on the word "censored" to refer to changes made by the company itself of their own volition.

a person saying they're "depressed" looking at a comparison of two dresses that are exactly the same except one doesn't show cleavage.

I don't know how anyone expects this to seem sympathetic. It just really doesn't.

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
Oh, didn't see there was a second thread for this, so posting this again:
I don't understand why they don't try to satisfy both sides at the same time, like add an option in the menu that lets you choose your version of the game.
That would have required some effort, sure, but I expect them to put that in if they want the game to sell well. Especially for a definitive edition.
Maybe it would have even caused a higher rating, but it's miles better than having to issue an apology and refunds.

I simply don't like choices being made for me. If a game has unpleasant content, let me choose to be disgusted by it. Don't take away that option from me.
Right now with how the whole thing is handled it's just giving off an unprofessional vibe to me and I expect better of them.
Sadly, it also makes me lose interest in the extra content, if it's handled and communicated as poorly.
I will probably just check it out on youtube since I already completed the base game.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why the fuck is Fire Emblem of all series so sexualized? So weird. Imagine if Square did that for Final Fantasy Tactics, we might have still had new games.

It seems like such an outlier for Nintendo.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
zlPxGgP.png
Uhh... what's supposed to be wrong with that dress?
From the pic posted on the 1st page.

Nintendo thought that the dress was showing too much skin. So they painted the girl's chest and upper arms white, to imply more fabric. Some people think that's an unnecessary and prudish overreaction.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Oh, didn't see there was a second thread for this, so posting this again:
I don't understand why they don't try to satisfy both sides at the same time, like add an option in the menu that lets you choose your version of the game.
That would have required some effort, sure, but I expect them to put that in if they want the game to sell well. Especially for a definitive edition.
Maybe it would have even caused a higher rating, but it's miles better than having to issue an apology and refunds.

I simply don't like choices being made for me. If a game has unpleasant content, let me choose to be disgusted by it. Don't take away that option from me.
Right now with how the whole thing is handled it's just giving off an unprofessional vibe to me and I expect better of them.
Sadly, it also makes me lose interest in the extra content, if it's handled and communicated as poorly.
I will probably just check it out on youtube since I already completed the base game.
A video game is nothing but a collection of millions of choices being made for you.

This is an an example of a great one.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

Nintendo thought that the dress was showing too much skin. So they painted the girl's chest and upper arms white, to imply more fabric. Some people think that's an unnecessary and prudish overreaction.
If I'm honest, I feel like they went a little overboard with that wedding dress change. Like covering up the cleavage is totally understandable but the additions to her arms and shoulders look a bit unnatural. Like the outfit looks more Swan Lake than wedding outfit now.

Anyway, for all the "bUt tHe aRtIsT'S ViSiOn!" people sound really look at this archived Twitter thread about a character designer who had to sex up her design to please the upper management.

Thanks again tangeu

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only ""bad"" thing changed in the western version was the crazy dress thing. It looks visually censored that it's obvious they changed it. Not to the point I'd ask for a refund, though.

Curious to know why the western version was used as a base for all of the other releases. Does it include changes and fixes beyond age changes and aesthetic ones?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017

I'm in the camp of preferring the overall intent with the changes to the western version of the game, but that example just looks... bad. Kinda fouls up the design if I'm honest.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only ""bad"" thing changed in the western version was the crazy dress thing. It looks visually censored that it's obvious they changed it. Not to the point I'd ask for a refund, though.

Curious to know why the western version was used as a base for all of the other releases. Does it include changes and fixes beyond age changes and aesthetic ones?
Pretty sure Nintendo just has a policy to only release one version now. This is a weird case of a game getting a remake before that policy was a thing.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
No, I think the issue is that not everything has to be all good and rosy. Video games should be used to critique society because without society video games cannot exist. The problem with TMS#FE is that it didn't do enough to critique it.
You don't need to actively sexualize minors to critique the sexualization of minors.

Look, I'm doing it right now.

Nov 2, 2017
Disappointed as shit in NoJ's reaction here, but I'm real glad to hear that the global version is the one without the gross pedo pandering.

Hearing people talk about the idea that they put that shit back in for this release had me wanting to hear definitively on that front because I definitely wouldn't even think of buying it if they did that.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If they removed the homophobic content from Persona you'd get just as much backlash. Not because people love that content, but because people don't like when companies decide what we should or should not be exposed to. If a game is judged problematic in its original form, let me handle it. It's just that easy, being told what you can or can't see when you buy a game doesn't feel good.

In other words, it's the "principle" of the thing. I try to avoid using that word because then people think you're a pompous ass that wants to see tits. But that doesn't make it untrue: hearing that a game removed some stuff because they judged that I shouldn't see it make me less excited about a game, even if I didn't like the stuff they removed.
Just sounds whiney to me

Will always be happy this game bombed hard. I remember the teasing of the crossover and people fantasizing some cool dark shit both the series are know for only to get idol garbage just made the message boards I ventured at the time go up in flames at that time. They want to piggyback of the current FE success. Good luck I guess, even the FE on the current switch is more mature.
Lol grow up. if it's not for you then it's not for you but this post is pathetic

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
No, I think the issue is that not everything has to be all good and rosy. Video games should be used to critique society because without society video games cannot exist. The problem with TMS#FE is that it didn't do enough to critique it.
I don't understand how you're getting from start to finish here.

Creepy content is okay because game should be allowed to criticize the creepy content, except this game doesn't do it, but we it's still okay because that's what it should do even if it's not actually doing it.

Is that it?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The teenage girls in fetish outfits weren't there to critique sexual exploitation in the idol industry. They were there so male gamers could get off to it.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
If they removed the homophobic content from Persona you'd get just as much backlash.

I mean, you're probably right, but also the people who would complain are the destructive garbage sort who go on about "boner culture" and think using swat teams as hitmen is a practical joke, and I want the industry to explicitly reject them as much as possible.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I didn't play the game.. was it critiquing this? Kind of hilarious considering both FE and SMT series (including games released after SMTFE) are at the forefront of this practice.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

It incorporates some DLC in the base game (aside from the hotsprings one which was completely cut) and aside from the stuff people generally talk about also had some other changes like replacing the Cenobite enemy with a knock-off Pennywise. I'd guess it was cheaper to just focus on updating a single version of the game. The game did badly even in Japan anyway.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how you're getting from start to finish here.

Creepy content is okay because game should be allowed to criticize the creepy content, except this game doesn't do it, but we it's still okay because that's what it should do even if it's not actually doing it.

Is that it?
I don't know if I said it was OK for being unchaged, obviously as I stated before I got the Wii U release so obviously the changes weren't a turn-off to me.
I didn't play the game.. was it critiquing this? Kind of hilarious considering both FE and SMT series (including games released after SMTFE) are at the forefront of this practice.
No, not really. That's where the game failed. Then again, I don't think that was ever Atlus/Nintendo's intention, but it's somewhere they could have gone but didn't.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I think changing the dungeon actually makes that boss worse, because the fact he was a super creep was kind of the entire reason why he was a villain, but maybe that's just me.

I wonder if they'll update the script in the Japanese re-release, because using the same script as before with these changes won't make much sense.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I said it was OK for being unchaged, obviously as I stated before I got the Wii U release so obviously the changes weren't a turn-off to me.

No, not really. That's where the game failed. Then again, I don't think that was ever Atlus/Nintendo's intention, but it's somewhere they could have gone but didn't.
I think the thing that's throwing me is that when you describe the game as "not very good in doing this" while also saying they didn't intend to, its like describing a sumo wrestling match as "not a very good game of chess". Which may be technically right, but is also such a valueless statement and so distant from the types of observations that people would make that it come across as a nonsequitor.

Last edited:

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man I just want to talk about games and none of this politics

(Proceed to campaign to get this rereleased and then complain about the changes to own the gamers)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I think changing the dungeon actually makes that boss worse, because the fact he was a super creep was kind of the entire reason why he was a villain, but maybe that's just me.

I wonder if they'll update the script in the Japanese re-release, because using the same script as before with these changes won't make much sense.
FYI when the Western version released all relevant lines were already changed to match in Japanese too. That includes age changes as well

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the thing that's throwing me is that when you describe the game as "not very good in doing this" while also saying they didn't intend to, its like describing a sumo wrestling match as "not a very good game of chess". Which may be technically right, but is also such a valueless statement and so distant from the types of observations that people would make that it come across as a nonsequitor.
Well, I mean that the game sort of critiques in it a "plot needs conflict for progression" sort of way, but Nintendo and Atlus saw it as nothing more than that so instead what we get is a shallow critique at it with no real substance.