• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is a weird dichotemy on this board between Dont sexualize the women!/Don't censor the sexualized women in my japanese games!!!

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why did Nintendo even risk going with the controversy in the first place? Did they really think people in Japan would just be fine with it?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Can we please stop referring to things that have not been censored as having been censored. The game has been localized and adapted for Western markets. Not censored.
Yeah, sorry about that. I'll get the title changed to say the "altered western version" if that is any better?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
imo no. the original japanese release doesn't really have that bad of a content to warrant a change and one of the change nintendo west made it more lewd lmao

this just really screams powerplay from nintendo western branch
How is this a power play exactly? All this is gonna do is make an already niche game sell even worse. If this was supposed to be there attempt to have more control over the content in their games they picked a really shitty game to start with.

Personally I think the western version was probably just the most convenient one they had access to and used it to develop Encore.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
CktoMXrXAAEbOfh.jpg
Oh wow, the changes were that bad? That's not sexualization, that's a normal wedding dress...

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
#FreeTheVaginaBones

This is so dumb.

Now the game will bomb a second time and this time it will stay dead. (And people will blame the CENSORSHIP even though it bombed perfectly fine without it the first time in Japan, tool)

Imo there was no real audience for this in japan for the Wii U, unlike now for the switch but this being a thing will put off a handful of buyers

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we please stop referring to things that have not been censored as having been censored. The game has been localized and adapted for Western markets. Not censored.
Really?

Because I guess the localizers must suck at their jobs if we compare this games sales to the comparatively unaltered Xenoblade 2's.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if that's because it's the game someone here (at least I think is was here. Or back on GAF?) mentioned that had the sexy stuff added because management was afraid their otaku crowd won't buy it and the west got what was originally supposed to be. They didn't name it, but that was the most common guess in the replies IIRC.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Censored is a loaded term and not accurate in this instance since nobody was forcing Nintendo to make things changes.

And for those who haven't played the game, here's just how minor the changes are:
1 scenario that's about gravure modeling has been edited so it's less explicit.
Panty upskirt shots have been removed
A handful of costumes have been modified
An NPC is shown sitting up instead of lying on a bench
A very short paid hotsprings fanservice DLC was removed

That's it. This isn't the NA version of Persona 1 PS1 where they made massive changes to the entire game including cutting out a huge chunk of the game.

For people who haven't played it yet, TMS#FE is a fantastic game. It's easily in my Top 5 Best turn-based JRPGs of the 2010's. It's like a Persona spin-off with a modified battle system & more focus on dungeons than S-Links (but more S-Link-esque stuff than say a main SMT title). Great soundtrack, excellent gameplay, and if you like FE, there's a bunch of FE references in it.

Well said. Fully agree. Game deserves much better than being at the centre of this rather silly controversy.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Getting rid of this creepy stuff in all versions of the game makes me more interested in it, not less.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
It's so obvious some people in this thread probably saw one tweet about them censoring an underage looking girl and then say "boo hoo your underage girl is covered" as if that's where the censorship ends. More shit was censored than that people, you all look foolish.

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
LOL. This is awesome.

I remember people claiming the censoring was "fine" or even better than the original version. Now Nintendo themselves apologize for it. Awesome.

#SayNoToCensorship

they apologize to Japanese fan for lack of information that the game gonna use western version.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Now the game will bomb a second time and this time it will stay dead. (And people will blame the CENSORSHIP even though it bombed perfectly fine without it the first time in Japan, tool)
Well that's the point. If you want a "definitive version" to sell more than on a dead console, why would you base it on the most controversial version you have?
Censored is a loaded term and not accurate in this instance since nobody was forcing Nintendo to make things changes.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And for those who haven't played the game, here's just how minor the changes are:
1 scenario that's about gravure modeling has been edited so it's less explicit.
Panty upskirt shots have been removed
A handful of costumes have been modified
An NPC is shown sitting up instead of lying on a bench
A very short paid hotsprings fanservice DLC was removed

That's it. This isn't the NA version of Persona 1 PS1 where they made massive changes to the entire game including cutting out a huge chunk of the game.

For people who haven't played it yet, TMS#FE is a fantastic game. It's easily in my Top 5 Best turn-based JRPGs of the 2010's. It's like a Persona spin-off with a modified battle system & more focus on dungeons than S-Links (but more S-Link-esque stuff than say a main SMT title). Great soundtrack, excellent gameplay, and if you like FE, there's a bunch of FE references in it.
Yeah it's a great game.

Shame it's gonna bomb.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
My take on the whole "censorship" thing:

giphy.gif

Thing is, I enjoyed the game for what it was on the Wii U. I really don't care about the whole bikini DLC thing, especially if they're 17 year of age. To me, the changes made to the Western version were fine. The story was fun, the gameplay worked really well. I am not fine with sexualizing under age characters anyway.

Fan-service hasn't done anything for me for years now, and it always comes across as trying too hard. It makes it obnoxious an annoying at one point. So yeah, I intend to pick up the game on the Switch. For me, nothing has changed compared to my previous experience anyway.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if that's because it's the game someone here (at least I think is was here. Or back on GAF?) mentioned that had the sexy stuff added because management was afraid their otaku crowd won't buy it and the west got what was originally supposed to be. They didn't name it, but that was the most common guess in the replies IIRC.
That just sounds like something someone made up.

May 13, 2019
It's so obvious some people in this thread probably saw one tweet about them censoring an underage looking girl and then say "boo hoo your underage girl is covered" as if that's where the censorship ends. More shit was censored than that people, you all look foolish.
What other examples of censorship does the game feature that don't involve stamping out sexualization of young girls?

TG5wsnzFVOxHJgqEZsTqZqlCS-tnF9kdOB6qiUkwois.jpg

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Why can't Nintendo just age up the characters in all versions, and let people choose if they want the original or western changes for the other aspects of the game? I feel like that's a decent middle-ground.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Do y'all really want to see these girls be younger and less clothed.

Like is it that vital to your experience
That's not the point. We just want to see the game as it's intended. I can't read Japanese and never played the game, but in the Censored Gaming video it shows a wall full of girls in bikinis. Is that related to the story? Is someone like obsessed with them and collects their pictures or something?

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The title is incredibly inaccurate.

NCL apologized because they provided misleading informations about this version of the game when the preload went live. They've apologized because of this and offers refund to people who wouldn't have pre-ordered the game because it's based on the western version.

They're not apologizing because the game is based on the western version.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like, I don't even understand the changes from a sales-perspective. They could have used it being the unaltered version as one of the sales pitches for the game.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The wedding dress is dumb and badly designed, but other than that, the western release was fantastic with the changes. Just hope they sub in-battle voice lines this time around.

Oct 27, 2017
instead of offering full refunds have an uncensored version =p (this stuff can't be offered as a toggle option in the game?)
Well presumably the port was started from the censored version, probably because it's less work than porting 2 versions, or removing the content again so having a toggle kind of defeats that purpose (as they'd have to do the work it seems they intentionally wanted to avoid)

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The title is incredibly inaccurate.

NCL apologized because they provided misleading informations about this version of the game when the preload went live. They've apologized because of this and offers refund to people who wouldn't have pre-ordered the game because it's based on the western version.

They're not apologizing because the game is based on the western version.

"Nintendo of Japan apologizes for not telling customers that Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore is based on altered Western version of the original, offering full refunds"

That a better title?

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
everyone's upset over china strong-arming american companies over hong kong, but nobody cares when the prudish american empire is censoring underaged bikini portraits in glorious nippon. such hypocrisy.
Yeah changing entire products or not being able to release them due to the government or undermining others free speech is totally the same as a Company deciding themselves not to be total creeps and make reasonable adjustments for different countries with different cultures and societies

This thread is becoming a real facepalm mine, full of people throwing around the word "CENCORSHIIIIiiiP" and those wanting to look at boobs and panties of underaged Anime girls

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get the 'outrage'. Almost nothing was changed. Not that anything really had to be changed, but it's still nonsense to make such a huge stink about something so minor.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Calling this censorship is funny. But frankly all the people mad about this can stay mad and kick rocks. Game bombed on first release Japan or otherwise. Game wasnt appealing, that's why it sold like shit. Play the Japanese WiiU version if you need you girls lying on benches and your bikini DLC.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds more appropriate to me.

What does one thing have to do with the other?!
If the goal of these changes is to make the game sell better then why did this game bomb(and will likely bomb again) compared t the less altered game?

Claiming this is "localization" never made sense to me because these kind of changes are not the norm in western releases, not even Nintendo ones lately.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Nintendo of Japan apologizes for not telling customers that Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore is based on altered Western version of the original, offering full refunds"

That a better title?

Yup. Although if I was picky, "Nintendo of Japan" is not a thing. It's just Nintendo, or NCL (for Nintendo co. Ltd).

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How is this a power play exactly? All this is gonna do is make an already niche game sell even worse. If this was supposed to be there attempt to have more control over the content in their games they picked a really shitty game to start with.

Personally I think the western version was probably just the most convenient one they had access to and used it to develop Encore.

Iirc the director from atlus was surprised that the game got change on the western release and was disappointed with it and with this rerelease he can't do jack shit to change that.. and pretty much all this gonna do is not make the game sell as much as possible... imo they should have just made a different build all together

White dress stays, and please don't make it look like maiko's
giving the photographer a blowjob
as these ones are my only complains

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
They should offer a patch to fix it. The situation is absurd.
Funnily enough everyone else doesnt want the censored version either.
I honestly find people bothered by this creepy because if you are bothered by the fact that they removed panty shots and altered scantily clad outfits of teenagers their is something seriously wrong with you.