• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
lol the customers they got by making an edited version are almost non-existent compare to the ones they lost because of the edited version.

Xeno 2 had plenty of busty waifus and stuff and Nintendo didn't got bad PR because we all dismissed it as anime game.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
From the pic posted on the 1st page.

Nintendo thought that the dress was showing too much skin. So they painted the girl's chest and upper arms white, to imply more fabric. Some people think that's an unnecessary and prudish overreaction.

I guess I'm one of those people. The dress isn't overtly sexual or revealing, rather it's similar to many modern day wedding dresses. Trying to censor it with a badly done cover job just makes it look worse. The swimsuit debacle is just as ridiculous to me, since bonus costumes like beach attire is nothing new and shouldn't be an issue unless it's tasteless, which it wasn't.

Trying to censor those things in particular just felt unnecessary. Given Nintendo's tendency to avoid controversy overall, I doubt they would have left it the Japanese version if they had any real issue with it themselves.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
Not even surprised Japan is mad at this and it was a really poor decision by Nintendo especially when this game is famous for its really bad localization and censorship. An uncensored version could've been a selling point

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"we decided internally to make this less of a creepy pedo anime game" is a weird thing to get hung up over and even moreso a weird thing to call censorship

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
"we decided internally to make this less of a creepy pedo anime game" is a weird thing to get hung up over and even moreso a weird thing to call censorship
I will like to point out that the "bubububu censorship crowd" hasn't said anything about Atlus changing a Soul Hackers character's name to remove a slur.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
I'm sorry to break it to you but thats exactly what censorship is. The whole situation is a mess. Anybody who pretends the costumes being changed are the main issue didn't play the game because they actually helped the 2nd arc in the context of the plot of just what the idol industry is and what its like as an idol which was completely botched in the western version.
I will like to point out that the "bubububu censorship crowd" hasn't said anything about Atlus changing a Soul Hackers character's name to remove a slur.
Likely cuz not a lot of people know of it but it also doesn't exactly excuse the case here, moot point

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does censorship in video games only ever seem to come up when it's about taking away anime tiddies.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry to break it to you but thats exactly what censorship is. The whole situation is a mess. Anybody who pretends the costumes being changed are the main issue didn't play the game because they actually helped the 2nd arc in the context of the plot of just what the idol industry is and what its like as an idol which was completely botched in the western version.
It was going to be botched in the western version regardless because the cultural awareness of that element of the idol industry would be largely lost on most players. The change made at least allows Tsubasa to come put on top instead of forcing her to accept a shitty element of her industry.

Likely cuz not a lot of people know of it but it also doesn't exactly excuse the case here, moot point
So is it or is it not censorship and thus bad that Atlus changed a character's name to make it less offensive in a differemt market?

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
It was going to be botched in the western version regardless because the cultural awareness of that element of the idol industry would be largely lost on most players. The change made at least allows Tsubasa to come put on top instead of forcing her to accept a shitty element of her industry.

So is it or is it not censorship and thus bad that Atlus changed a character's name to make it less offensive in a differemt market?
That would've worked but this isn't about the western cultural awareness as you can still understand what its like through the game
and I am NOT making a case that all censorship is
bad because for the large part I it is for the better but in this case it does hurt the game

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay I think it's time someone lays bear what exactly transpired in the act that was apparently so important that removing the Gravure elements irrevocably changed the story.

Because from my understanding all it did was change it from "Tsubasa models in bikinis" to "Tsubasa models in trendy clothing."

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay I think it's time someone lays bear what exactly transpired in the act that was apparently so important that removing the Gravure elements irrevocably changed the story.

Because from my understanding all it did was change it from "Tsubasa models in bikinis" to "Tsubasa models in trendy clothing."
underage anime tiddy

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the pic posted on the 1st page.

Nintendo thought that the dress was showing too much skin. So they painted the girl's chest and upper arms white, to imply more fabric. Some people think that's an unnecessary and prudish overreaction.
At the end of the day I don't care if they are covering up some boobs but for fucks sake put some goddamn effort into the edits if your going to do them. Most of the edits made in this game are just straight up horrible looking and also kind of inconsistent as some risque stuff somehow still made it into the American version of the game.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Remember when we had a solid month devoted to talking about Tifa's body around E3?

This shit never happens with guys.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
lol the customers they got by making an edited version are almost non-existent compare to the ones they lost because of the edited version.

Xeno 2 had plenty of busty waifus and stuff and Nintendo didn't got bad PR because we all dismissed it as anime game.
They actually did something too to XB2, but it's for another game.

www.resetera.com

Mythra's (from Xenoblade Chronicles 2) design is slightly changed in Smash Ultimate

So the spirits artwork from Smash Bros Ultimate is getting leaked, and one of the png discovered was that of Mythra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. While she looks like this in her original game, She looks like this in her Smash Ultimate artwork. (Ignore the lightning) Probably changed to avoid...

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny deja vu to see Japan having the same dumb shitstorm for this game that westerners had back in 2016. lol

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
by an outside entity ya dingus

"censorship" isn't something you can do to yourself
Are you serious... censorship is the act of a censor suppressing parts they deem objectionable it is literally someone doing it and is literally what is happening. Just because its a Nintendo game in all regions doesn't mean anything as the entities who wrote the dialogue originally and the ones who localized it are not the same. Trying to be technical cuz its the same parent company is dumb

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you serious... censorship is the act of a censor suppressing parts they deem objectionable it is literally someone doing it and is literally what is happening. Just because its a Nintendo game in all regions doesn't mean anything as the entities who wrote the dialogue originally and the ones who localized it are not the same. Trying to be technical cuz its the same parent company is dumb

They created the game as a commercial product for a game company who then decided, because they own it, to make changes.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
How is it not? It is literally the case in the first definition of censor wherever you look
What exactly is being suppressed? And by whom?
Keep in mind that regional differences happen all the time. Button layouts are changed between Playstaion games between regions and several games like Yakuza have different mini games as well. If these do not count as an idea being suppressed by an outside entity then surely a change in clothes also isn't.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
That would've worked but this isn't about the western cultural awareness as you can still understand what its like through the game
Not really though. The game explains a lot of the idol industry but you need the context of actually knowing about tbe industry to know the gist is how pervasive the gravure shit is. With or without that context, the Japanese version of the story presents it as a good thing that Tsubasa gives in to the shitty part of the idol industry.

and I am NOT making a case that all censorship is
bad because for the large part I it is for the better but in this case it does hurt the game
But is removing the slur censorship?

Brokenrobot

Jul 12, 2018
I will tell you what I told the police officer who tazed me out the front of that primary school. "Preventing me from leering at the children is an attack on my fundamental rights as a human being sir!"

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something Atlus decided to do on their own is censorship?
lmao nice catch. Pretends to be all about "it's a different ENTITY doing this thing" and then turns around and reveals they still don't understand and are just putting up a facade recognizing the words used but not what they actually mean, proceeding to throw the baby out with the bathwater by reverting to an earlier stage in their argument that they were already denying. Sasuga, gamers

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
What exactly is being suppressed? And by whom?
Keep in mind that regional differences happen all the time. Button layouts are changed between Playstaion games between regions and several games like Yakuza have different mini games as well. If these do not count as an idea being suppressed by an outside entity then surely a change in clothes also isn't.
I do count those, I'm not hypocritical.
It's gonna go nowhere because you don't understand a single thing you're talking about and refuse to achnowledge it. All in the service of underage anime tiddy.
I gave an explained how the dictionary definition applies to the situation and you ignored all of it for the sake not being challenged

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

This is a post that helps clear it up

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gave an explained how the dictionary definition applies to the situation and you ignored all of it for the sake not being challenged

No you didn't. You're pretending you did. Those two things aren't the same. But remember: You're here in service of underage anime tiddy, and anything you can say to defend it, you're going to, even if it's literally incorrect. Kinda puts your existance in this thread into perspective, doesn't it?

Amakuni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's Nintendo's commercial product that they decided of their own volition to change when localizing for a Western audience.

The Treehouse is Nintendo's internal American localization office. Nintendo is funding the game.

The Treehouse is not some outside alien entity bent on taking away your anime tiddy.

All I'm saying is that a separate entity outside of development team made changes to the finish released product solely to circumvent hypothetical controversy. If I write a book and I'm being funded by the publisher to do so and a branch of that company in another country decides to alter that content to avoid potential controversy that might occur, I consider that censorship personally.