• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

View: https://twitter.com/necrolipe/status/1656292056778637312

Nobody doubts the success of the Super Mario movie, so it is not surprising that Nintendo is thinking of more projects of the style. This has been confirmed in question and answer session of its latest financial results, published yesterday.

In this session, Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa has assured shareholders that they will continue to produce movies with their IPs. For this, he affirms that they will use his recently created division Nintendo Pictures.

Nintendo officially confirms that they will produce more films under the Nintendo Pictures label after Mario

Nobody doubts the success of the Super Mario movie, so it is not surprising that Nintendo is thinking of more projects of the style. This has been confirmed in question and answer session of its latest financial results, published yesterday. In this session, Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa...

Japanese Q&A:

Close if old.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
The Super Smash Bros film will be the Infinity War of the Marioverse

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for everything to culminate in the eventual Super Smash Bros. movie.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
I mean they have well over a billion reasons to keep doing so. Aside from a Mario Bros. 2, I suspect Zelda would be the next most likely. Curious to see where they go.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
d6b911e09d503ca933febb7242eb6842

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Watching a movie with Cloud and Sephiroth teaming up with Xenoblade characters to fight against giant titans would be massive.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Oh, now you've mentioned it, does anyone know who made the CGI animations of the Super Smash Bros. trailers? Is it really Nintendo Pictures that did this?

Oct 25, 2017
I think I will reserve judgement on any next move regarding Mr Kong.

I didn't dislike his characterisation/Rogen's performance but I just had trouble accepting how he's established in that 'universe' now. The Kong Kingdom/Cranky as King/etc - so we will have to see.

He was a great foil to Mario, and I think the championship duel was probably my highlight of the movie, but yeah, I'm not champing at the bit to see how a 'standalone' movie/movies will play out.

Batman and Superman are my other all-time faves and I love certain aspects of all of their cinematic adaptations because of the versatile way they've always been written across different media. I'm fine with the same thing happening with DK.

I really enjoyed Miyamoto's mini-spotlight on DK during the second(?) trailer reveal - if I'm being honest I hope we get more of that if/when another movie with DK comes out.

Donkey Kong aside - I think Star Fox should be the next big focus. I loved the mini-movie that came out with Star Fox Zero.

Jan 29, 2018
$5 says they put out an underwhelming Mario sequel 6 years from now and everyone criticizes them for failing to capitalize on the first movie's momentum.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Stay alive, me, stay alive!

Might be sad but this is some of the most exciting news I've seen lately. Can't imagine what other IPs would be like as films. The Mario film was such a treat. Everything I ever wanted from a Mario movie. Bring on the Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, all of it.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Most likely IMO:

1. Super Mario Bros sequels
2. Donkey Kong standalone movie
3. Zelda
4. Kirby

I think we need a real Pokemon movie as well. Not Detective Pikachu, but a movie based around trainers, the Pokemon League, gym battles, Team Rocket, etc.

Mar 15, 2022
I wonder if Nintendo Pictures will stick with Illumination for all their movies or if they'll partner with other studios.

Almost certainly stays with NBCU, at least for the foreseeable future. They just launched the parks with Universal and there are 2 premier animation studios in that portfolio with Illumination and Dreamworks. Seems like an ideal partnership.

Also don't forget that NBCU is ramping up their own streaming service, adding original content with the Nintendo IPs seem like a no brainer.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
...or give Genndy Tartakovsky a Zelda movie

"Long ago in a distant land, I Vaati, the shape shifting master of darkness unleashed an unspeakable evil, but a foolish Hylian warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me!

Before the final blow was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future where my evil is law!
Now the fool seeks to return to the past and undo the future that is Vaati!!"

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
imagine a single line of dialogue link could possibly say that wouldn't be an insanity rune, why would anybody want him to speak, what could he possibly say
I dunno, it's called being a writer and having an imagination.

If you can't picture what a kid put on an overwhelming quest, but also having an adventurous spirit might say, there's a million examples out there to examine.

The Quentulated Mox

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 10, 2022
I dunno, it's called being a writer and having an imagination.

If you can't picture what a kid put on an overwhelming quest, but also having an adventurous spirit might say, there's a million examples out there to examine.
i guess so. none of those examples are from zelda though, so i wonder if their decision to keep link silent should also be examined? no, no, it's the games that are wrong

hsojlightfoot

Apr 6, 2020
We finally gonna hear Link talk?

And love to see Metroid. That would be a pretty awesome anime movie if done right.