• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been putting off signing up to Nintendo's online service but with Pokemon coming out soon and with my wife getting a Lite soon I thought I'd finally get it.

I was looking at signing up to the family plan for both of us and then realised you can have up to 8 accounts as part of the plan. My brother (who doesn't live with us) is also getting a switch, would be be able to join in too? Are there restrictions using it across multiple switches? Can they both access the nes/snes games etc. How do cloud saves work when there are multiple people with different accounts. How hard is the process for getting us all on there.

Just wanted feedback from people who have done it cause the website didn't go into detail for some of these questions.

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
The only problem I've had is people not paying me back for it lol

I have people with US and Canadian Nintendo accounts on it and haven't run into any problems.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I can tell, functionality is identical between the two plans. I haven't heard any of the other people on my plan bring up anything they thought they should be able to do and can't.

Everyone can play the NES/SNES games. Wish I could confirm with you about cloud saves, but I'm like 95% sure everyone can

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Do you want to play nes/snes games, tetris 99, splatoon 2 and maybe Kirby Clash? Its worth.

If not dont bother lol

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
After a year with a Family Plan, I think I can say that there are no downsides at all. To answer your questions one-by-one:
  • Surprisingly, Nintendo doesn't check to see if every member of the family plan is in the same region. Your brother can join anytime, even after you pay for the membership.
  • There are no restrictions on multiple family plan members playing games online at the same time.
  • All users can access the NES/SNES games.
  • Cloud Saves are tied to the individual user, so those are fine.
  • The process in setting it up isn't that complicated. Once they're part of the family group, they'll get the membership once someone in that group purchases the family plan.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I admin a family group. Only real downside is that I formed it with 8 people last year, and my brother's finally getting a Switch soon but I don't have room for him. You're also at the mercy of the guy running the group; I could theoretically kick anyone from mine without consent, and they would lose access to NSO. But as long as you make one with people you actually know that's not an issue.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I have one for me and the wife, and I added a few friends as well. Probably should have asked for a couple bucks from the friends, but it's not really a big deal. It's very easy to manage the membership, and everyone gets access to everything, except maybe a few of the special offers like the NES/SNES controllers. But functionality-wise, it's all there.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Downside is Nintendo will start limiting the sharing aspect if enough people subscribe to it, so don't take too long to decide to subscribe.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've been on a family plan with a buddy from Japan (I'm in Europe) since the day it launched and all is fine. Acts just like I have my own sub. No downsides.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I would say the only downside is that you can't take part in the "free whatever amount of months" that happen with Twitch Prime or are included with some games like Overwatch, Tetris 99(Retail version) or Mario Maker 2 (There were some more of those recently).
But other than that theres really no downsides.
Is cheap either way and the SNES games bring some actual value now.

VillagerMax

Nov 4, 2017
I couldn't add my nephew to my family plan because his account was a child account to his dad's account. Other than those weird cases, that's about it. Oh, and it keeps emailing everyone when they make account changes.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm in a family group with seven friends (one of whom doesn't even live on the same continent as me), and it works fine. Everyone has full access to everything.

$7 AUD per year feels closer to what this mess of a service is actually worth.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I have a bunch of Americans in different states and someone from the UK on the family plan. It's fantastic. We all pay only $4.50 or so a head, which is a great deal for NES/SNES games.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One downside that I've found: those deals for a free year that you could track on to your existing subscription don't work, they're always free single user years and wouldn't extend a family account.

DarkWish

Oct 27, 2017
Virginia
I would say the only downside is that you can't take part in the "free whatever amount of months" that happen with Twitch Prime or are included with some games like Overwatch, Tetris 99(Retail version) or Mario Maker 2 (There were some more of those recently).
But other than that theres really no downsides.
Is cheap either way and the SNES games bring some actual value now.
This. It's exactly the same as the individual accounts but there's never any sales on it. Not really an issue though cause it's so cheap anyways.