• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The choice is super strange, but from the article they literally had zero prescence before and given Israel is a small country it may be easier for them to open a store as a first step.

But I don't get it.

It should be noted that 'Nintendo Israel' is a brand license to a local distributor, just like how Bergsala is handling everything in Scandinavia.

https://www.nintendo.co.il/about
Google Translated to English

So it's the local operators doing it?

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What?

No, that's bullshit.

Whether it's the second or second hundredth store they all are equally complicit in doing business in a country whose government is actively oppressing a minority and set on committing genocide.
There is a difference when your SECOND store is located in Israel and you know it, even if it is unintentional it still creates a statement so don't play fool

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
a state that was built on oppression, land stealing, occupation, genocide, and racism

America?
Pretty sure "but they did it too!" has never been a decent counterpoint to pointing out a problem. This place tends to go pretty hard on America's various problems too after all.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They can have Israel/Palestine but if they want the West Bank/East Jerusalem they must grant Israeli citizenship to the 2 million plus Arabs living there. If they wont then they must suffer being accurately called an apartheid state.

Yeah, I agree with you. That is the moral thing to do to correct the current state of affairs.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The choice is super strange, but from the article they literally had zero prescence before and given Israel is a small country it may be easier for them to open a store as a first step.

But I don't get it.

This makes a lot of sense.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

But I don't get it.

That makes more sense, there's many larger countries with bigger markets

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Yeah, I agree with you. That is the moral thing to do to correct the current state of affairs.

TBH the two state solution died years ago. Their are just too many Arabs in 'Israel' and too many Jews in 'Palestine' for the idea of two ethnically homogeneous states living side by side in peace. working out* That is unless both sides are willing to commit ethnic cleansing against each other. Frankly it's time to end racism and for both sides to come together as humans.

*Of course the idea of an independent Palestine state was foolish anyhow. Gaza is separated by the West Bank and their connection would be controlled by Israel. Israel was also never going to allow Palestine control over the Jordon valley, nor allow them a military. Hardly sounds like a viable sovereign state.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Whether it's the second or second hundredth store they all are equally complicit in doing business in a country whose government is actively oppressing a minority and set on committing genocide.
Correct but Nintendo are doing more than that. Their second ever store makes it a statement of support for the location, something that would serve as a tourist attraction and a nod to the prominence, reputation and importance of the area. It's not the same as McDonalds opening branch number 36001.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
TBH the two state solution died years ago. Their are just too many Arabs in 'Israel' and too many Jews in 'Palestine' for the idea of two ethnically homogeneous states living side by side in peace. working out* That is unless both sides are willing to commit ethnic cleansing against each other. Frankly it's time to end racism and for both sides to come together as humans.

*Of course the idea of an independent Palestine state was foolish anyhow. Gaza is separated by the West Bank and their connection would be controlled by Israel. Israel was also never going to allow Palestine control over the Jordon valley, nor allow them a military. Hardly sounds like a viable sovereign state.

Agreed. Like I said before the Jews and Palestinians are brothers and sisters. They should treat each other as such.

Deleted member 21012

User requested account closure
Oct 28, 2017
It's a third party operated store under the Nintendo brand. Stop the overthinking. There is nothing symbolic: it's a good, solid market with strong currency and very little Nintendo presence even at traditional retail.

I'm for Palestinian rights, two-states, ending the current occupation but smothering us won't help a single bit.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
What a very disappointing news to say the least. people have been demanding their official presence in the ME region for ages, only to be ignored even though Microsoft and Sony both operate officially and have a strong support for the region, especially Sony. even third parties like Ubisoft operate officialy in the region, why can they but Nintendo can't?

I'm going to think really hard before purchasing a product from them in the future, even though they are my favorite gaming company.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
There should be stores in London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid and Rome.

And Liverpool. Especially Liverpool.

Can't help but think this will reasonably make NCL uncomfortable if it wasn't their idea.

Deleted member 32973

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
#freepalestine

nintendo as a corporation should be more sensible to ongoing world's issue, this move could be a bit harmful for their image

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
What a very disappointing news to say the least. people have been demanding their official presence in the ME region for ages, only to be ignored even though Microsoft and Sony both operate officially and have a strong support for the region, especially Sony. even third parties like Ubisoft operate officialy in the region, why can they but Nintendo can't?

I'm going to think really hard before purchasing a product from them in the future, even though they are my favorite gaming company.
Same. I try my best to boycott, but i'm only 1 human and don't know every company actions.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Maybe some of the tax this store pays will go directly to funding the murder of children. GG Nintendo.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not sure if this makes things better for you, but it's apparently a third party company that is making and handling it instead of a store being run by NCL.

Oct 27, 2017
Really disapointing to see this.
Nintendo should have known better than to pull something like this in country that is comiting genocide.
Fuck the Israeli government, zionism, anybody who support it or defends it.

Truly disgusting.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Correct but Nintendo are doing more than that. Their second ever store makes it a statement of support for the location, something that would serve as a tourist attraction and a nod to the prominence, reputation and importance of the area. It's not the same as McDonalds opening branch number 36001.

I guess I fundamentally disagree. It would be just as bad if this was coming after London, Tokyo, Paris, LA, Seoul, etc and I don't think it says anything more than this region's Nintendo(in this case apparently a local distributor with the license) getting there first.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I am BDS supported and donor. I will make a big donation the day this store opens. Israel as a country has all the right to exist and live in peace. But do so Palestinians.

Oct 27, 2017
Why is this site full of leftist remarks? My enjoyment of this forum as a mere gaming forum where political differences are irrelevant is diminishing.
Not sure if serious...

This forum is a left leaning forum.

Edit: I also don't see what's leftist about what they said, unless you mean by the US standards.
I mean the general view here in Germany on Israel is pretty positive.
So I'm baffled at the reactions ITT.
You should use this opportunity to learn why people are feeling that way.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean the general view here in Germany on Israel is pretty positive.
So I'm baffled at the reactions ITT.
don't you read the news tho? you have to know israel is running an apartheid state and constantly murders innocent palestinians, including kids, and buids settlements on palestinian lands and drives them out of their villages. regardless of your nations's views and official stance on israel, you should be able to form your own opinion.

Why is this site full of leftist remarks? My enjoyment of this forum as a mere gaming forum where political differences are irrelevant is diminishing.
...huh. not that there's anything wrong with being "leftist" but i don't see why being anti-genocide has anything to do with political leanings.

Dark-Cloudz

Oct 28, 2017
London
#FreePalestine

On a different note, why would they choose Tel Aviv ahead of any where in Europe? My guess is this is some sort of franchise, not directly related to Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.