• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Here is the List of Supported Set-Ups:

NES Online:
- Play Online (Friends only of course)

Mario Tennis Aces:
- Free Play
- Online Tournament
- Co-Op Challenge

Arms:
- Party Match
- Ranked Match
- Friends
- Party Crash

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe:
- Global
- Regional
- Tournament
- Friends and Rivals

Splatoon 2:
- Online Lounge (Same as before, so Friends-Only)

As you can see, you can talk to random people in games now except Splatoon 2, which has not been updated to allow this support, but should for Turf War and Salmon Run, And NES Classic, but that is because you can only play with Friends there.

I will update when new games are supported and their features.

Picture for Proof:

DndTtIMXcAA69Hi

EDIT:

While I have spoken to someone, Beje said the game informs you when someone else connects to the App.

Just tested Mario Kart (it has just updated to 1.7) and it was surprisingly painless. Just join any public room and the app will ask you to connect to that room's group chat. The game itself will even notify you on screen if someone else connects. Leave the phone by your side and just talk.

Last edited:

Bouniter

Oct 25, 2017
Well done Nintendo you finally managed to add voice chat to some of your your games..... Its only over a year late, not available on the system level and I still need a mobile phone to do it.

Yeah you shouldn't be getting any praise for this nintendo

Edit: ohh yeah and now you charge me for the privilege don't you...

Last edited:

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So what's the point of this app dammit ?
Why not include this within the OS? This is baffling

Because the machine is a hybrid with docked and undocked modes. And Bluetooth audio headsets would need proprietary protocols and dongles for audio due to the standard bluetooth having too much latency.

Their chain of thinking is that most people own a phone that came with a headset.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So.... This clearly removes the idea that this choice by Nintendo was to "protect the children". It was just incompetence.

This is much better now, but obviously not as good as os integration.

Honestly, I dont mind friend only chat, but want a proper lobby system that's not game mode dependent.

So splatoon is the one that's currently worthless because of the friend only online lounge.

OP
OP
MouldyK

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So.... This clearly removes the idea that this choice by Nintendo was to "protect the children". It was just incompetence.

This is much better now, but obviously not as good as os integration.

Honestly, I dont mind friend only chat, but want a proper lobby system that's not game mode dependent.

So splatoon is the one that's currently worthless because of the friend only online lounge.

But it's also the only one where you can check your stats.

So, no game on the App is perfect.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK

Bouniter

Oct 25, 2017
My only guess is that Nintendo doesn't want 12 year olds getting excited and accidentally dragging their switch+dock across the room with their headphone cables.

If only there was some sort of way to be able to use headphones without wires.... Wait someone invented that already bluetooth headsets .... I guess Nintendo didn't notice.....

Sorry for that sass it's aimed at Nintendo not you =b

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My only guess is that Nintendo doesn't want 12 year olds getting excited and accidentally dragging their switch+dock across the room with their headphone cables.
Ah yes. Protecting the children from cables...a 12 year old can figure that out. Back in my day we didn't have the luxury of bluetooth headsets!

atmuh

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, using the app is an unfortunate reality of the Switch. I'm going to actually give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt and assume that if it was built into the OS it would slow everything down. I actually used it last night when playing NES games with my friend and it was actually ok, especially getting the push notification and 1 tap to enter the chat lobby. It really does need a universal out of game party system and a way to send messages, though.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm glad that you can talk to anyone in ARMS, but doesn't Splatoon 2 need it more since it's a team shooter?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
My app only lists Splatoon. Am I supposed to do something to add Mario Kart?

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
Hold on, so could someone explain if this app actually allows you to make a party/lobby with friends so you can join a game of Mario kart together for example?

To clarify, in the past someone would have to join a game first and then your friends would have to join after and hope for an empty spot.

atmuh

Oct 25, 2017
Hold on, so could someone explain if this app actually allows you to make a party/lobby with friends so you can join a game of Mario kart together for example?

To clarify, in the past someone would have to join a game first and then your friends would have to join after and hope for an empty spot.
gonna guess that's the same

OP
OP
MouldyK

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My app only lists Splatoon. Am I supposed to do something to add Mario Kart?

See here:

You have to click the "Voice Chat" part of the App.

And check your Phone Store for an update. I know iPhone has one.

But that's only Voice Chat. Nothing else.

Still out of luck I'm afraid.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Nope.

It allows voice chat with people in your game online.

No lobbies.

Also mario kart not supported

Oct 30, 2017
Hey look, another thread about a meaningful update/improvement/enhancement to Nintendo services! Let's come in and shit on them as well as anyone happy about these improvements, because it's still not as good as X/Y/Z!

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Allowing you to talk to the entire lobby as long you have the app up is nice and unexpected. I have to assume Splatoon 2 is the way it is because it is the first game they setup or it's more competitive so they want you to make groups first. Though you do get matched randomly with people each match when playing solo I think so maybe this wouldn't work. With the other games it's largely the same people with fewer people leaving and joining at any given time. Arms lobbies are very similar to Mario Karts for example.