• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Doug Bowser, president of Nintendo of America, is a skilled communicator. And right now, his message is clear: The Switch is doing great, and new hardware will be announced when the time is right.

"We are always looking at technology and how technology can enhance gameplay experiences. It's not technology for technology's sake," Bowser tells The Washington Post. "It's how specifically can technology enhance a gameplay experience. And then where do you apply that technology? Do you want to apply it on current existing hardware or platforms, or do you want to wait for the next platform? And then what's the right gameplay experience with that? There's a host of factors that goes into it, and it's something we're always looking at."

Bowser gave this answer in response to a question about Bloomberg's and other outlets' reports about a Switch hardware upgrade, confirming long-standing rumors as well as some eager Nintendo fans waiting for the company to compete in technology again. Bloomberg reported that Nintendo plans for this upgraded Switch as soon as September, but the same report also said Nintendo may announce the console at E3, which did not happen.

Instead, Bowser would rather highlight the upcoming slate of games and the diversity of audiences they serve. It's been Nintendo's strength for decades. As Sony pushes fidelity in prestige storytelling and Microsoft pushes itself as a broad service provider, Nintendo is happy to continue its strategy of offering a wide suite of games to not just attract, but nurture and grow its audience.

"As we enter into our fifth year, Nintendo Switch really is redefining what a console life cycle can look like, and the vibrancy of that overall life cycle with a strong cadence of content," Bowser said.

Close me when the time is right. I haven't seen a thread about this article, nor about Doug Bowser's responses to rumors about Switch Pro.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
The "do you apply new technology on the current platform or the next one?" line is oddly revealing for an interview where he's trying to avoid confirming an upcoming revision.

DrDarkStryfe

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
The system is still number one every month in units sold and revenue. They can are most likely going to ride out the upcoming chip shortage issue that is about to really hit the game industry.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
There is a channel called, Upscale that uses Neural net AI software on YT. They recently uploaded an 8K upscaled footage of BotW II and it looks eye poppingly sharp and lends to the vibrancy of the world. But for big N, if it ain't not stopping printin' monayy, don't fix it (at least publicly so as not to adversely sales of existing products that are still setting records every month).

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Where is the quote from Bowser saying "time is right" in reference to the title of this thread?

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
It's just PR speak so as not to sabotage current Switch sales so no one "waits for the new one". It's coming, and soon. We'll likely see it early next year with some killer-apps.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
www.ign.com

Nintendo Working on Future Handheld Generation - IGN

Don't expect a new version of the Nintendo 3DS. According to Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo is already looking to the future.

For two decades, Nintendo has set a precedent - it iterates repeatedly on its handheld designs, making incremental revisions to extend the life of a system. The Nintendo DS alone received this treatment three times with the DS Lite, DSi and DSi XL. However it appears as though the company might be taking a different approach with the 3DS. According to Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo is more focused on the 3DS's successor than anything else.
"I really feel like I'm satisfied with the 3DS hardware as it is. I feel like it's the best for this generation," Miyamoto told me, when I asked about the Nikkei's recent report about a 3DS XL, and whether his company did have plans for something similar. The Nintendo executive noted that his company is always thinking about what's next. "What we're thinking about right now is probably going to be for a future generation of handheld."

Miyamoto did emphasize that he feels there is plenty more that can be done with this current hardware and 3D gaming in general. When asked about the option of including a second Circle Pad in future 3DS models, Miyamoto pointed out the system's gyroscope as a way to accommodate that need.

9 DAYS LATER

www.gameinformer.com

Nintendo 3DS XL Announced

Nintendo revealed the 3DS XL, a revision of the handheld that boasts a 90 percent extra viewing area and longer battery life.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Makes sense to me. Games are better than hardware any day of the week, and Nintendo has always chosen gameplay over graphics.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
"It's how specifically can technology enhance a gameplay experience. And then where do you apply that technology? Do you want to apply it on current existing hardware or platforms, or do you want to wait for the next platform?"

Uh, what technology are you talking about doug?

How are you distinguishing between hardware and platform?

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Chip shortage/can't keep current switch in stock due to demand/why launch new hardware again?

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Although it does sound like PR speak, it also makes no sense to launch an entirely new system while your current system is dominating in sales month after month and basically printing money at this time. It makes more sense to hold off for now.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I do like this post-Wii narrative where people decide to throw out the technical prowess of the Gamecube and N64 among their contemporaries for some reason.
You got me there. But that hasn't been the case lately, and now Nintendo focuses more on new ideas (motion controls, 3D, tablet, and a console/portable hybrid) and gameplay.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make sense to launch new hardware right now, with all of the shortages.

Draconestra

Avenger
Nov 2, 2017

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Honestly, fine with me. A lot of people see the Switch as "aged hardware" but there is little a Switch successor could give me over the current Switch that would really seem like a mind-blowing leap. Would love small improvements like DLSS if that is indeed coming, but the strength of the Switch for me is the Nintendo exclusives and those continue to be great

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
So it's going to last longer than the 8-years the Xbox 360 hung around? If not it isn't redefining anything.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't make enough to launch the pro with the chip shortage so they will sit on it is what this sounds like to me.