• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
This is a spin-off of the Nintendo Q&A for 2nd Quarter FY3/2019 thread as I wanted to focus on one specific question regarding Nintendo Switch Online, as it's been a pretty controversial topic lately and some people think Nintendo just doesn't care / can't do online.

Regarding the user ratio / numbers:

We think Nintendo Switch Online had a good launch, but the service has only just begun, so we have no plans to disclose any current subscriber ratios or number of subscribers at this time.

Enhancing the service:

Our focus at this point is on boosting the appeal of the service. We need to further enhance the content of the service for the subscriber base to reach a certain size, so that is what we're working on, with the understanding that the time it will take to do so will be measured in years.

Beyond digital:

As for the kind of service this will develop into in the future, Nintendo Switch Online is essentially a digital service, but we are also offering controllers specifically for use with Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online exclusively to subscribers of the service. We see the need to develop the service beyond being merely digital, in ways play to our strengths as a company that operates an integrated hardware and software business.

So what do you think? I'm a little worried that the president himself says that it may take some years to the service to be enhanced and reach the expected user base. Also it will be interesting to see what other hardware gets involved.

Last edited:

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
I mean when PSN and LIVE could be seen as taking years to evolve into the services they are today (Gamepass, PS NOW, GwG etc.pp), i wouldn't take the "year" quote as too negative. It's important though, that they start evolving their service soon and don't reboot their approach with every generation.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
In other words - the numbers are much lower then expected and they realised that they have to add value to the service.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I mean when PSN and LIVE could be seen as taking years to evolve into the services they are today (Gamepass, PS NOW, GwG etc.pp), i wouldn't take the "year" quote as too negative. It's important though, that they start evolving their service soon and don't reboot their approach with every generation.
Yeah, I agree with this. It's a shame it's as barebones as it is, but they recognize the need for growth and more compelling options and are working on it. It's good to hear, at least.
In other words - the numbers are much lower then expected and they realised that they have to add value to the service.
No, that's not what is being said.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
They had years to do this and other proper online systems to study from. Microsoft had it better from the start than what Nintendo has now.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I feel like Wii U's online was already better. I could voice chat through the console itself, Miiverse was way better for posting things to than Twitter, and it was free. Switch has been a step back.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Basically what I have said from the start. Switch Online will eventually evolve into Nintendo Online, a cross platform/cross generation digital catalogue that will eventually include most of their platforms for their game netflix equivalent and Switch was said from the NX days to be their Generation 1 of an iOS/iDevice fanily of products. Expecting and demanding maximim output and unrealistic demands is going to eventually have a negative impact, and send the wrong message that will eventually cut things short and end in disaster. These things take time, and all criticisms and worries should be directed towards them when jn Year 2 or 3, and they are still working with thks same pace. But not now.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I said something about this in the other thread, but I think the fact that they:
  1. Recognize the service isn't where it needs to be and
  2. Are willing to take a few years to get there
is encouraging. It implies they're self aware and have a decent plan in place.

Of course, this thread will mostly be filled with jokes about the rate they release NES games.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
SNES games added by 2021 confirmed

In all seriousness, they're years behind so it probably will take them years

It's still on a fundamental level, not going to appeal to me personally, but hopefully they improve it for those who are paying

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
If it's going to take that long to actually be worthwhile, then why are we having to pay for it now? Slapping a price-tag on something that was free for a year and a half doesn't feel good.

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
There is no excuse for Nintendo to fuck up online in 2018.

But they fuck up all of the stuff that should be standard, so it's not really surprising.

About the only thing Nintendo does right (and better than most) is game development.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
is it possible the switch doesn't have enough spare processing capacity for integrated online/voice chat/party chat etc? I expect you can do it quite efficiently but you need to keep as much free for the games on a lower powered device.

Wondering if that'll be one of the things we see in a 'new' switch - a little more CPU going towards OS improvements like integrated online wihtout needing a phone

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox Live launched in 2002 ? With greater functionality then thier current service, and in 2018 they realise they need to respond? I'm indifferent to Nintendo in general but the incompetence of thier management is something else.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Going from 3 NES games per month to 4...

giphy.gif

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
The only crucial things they're missing are a system wide voice chat and a party system imo, but saying that getting those things will take years is a major YIKES.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
is it possible the switch doesn't have enough spare processing capacity for integrated online/voice chat/party chat etc? I expect you can do it quite efficiently but you need to keep as much free for the games on a lower powered device.

Wondering if that'll be one of the things we see in a 'new' switch - a little more CPU going towards OS improvements like integrated online wihtout needing a phone
The original Xbox had it build in, hell even Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS had voice chat. There's no hardware excuse here.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
If they put their entire back catalogue up there I would happily pay $10 per month, as would several million others I suspect.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
They have had years already. Switch online looks nothing short of gross incompetence to me.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
They need to add basic stuff like normal user names, parties, system VOIP and yes even the dreaded messaging system.
Also ramp up the VC titles and add stuff like SNES/GBA/N64 on a weekly basis.

This service has potential but is just too limited now.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of off topic question but since this thread will get traffic, can you play NES games on the Nintendo Switch Online VC app offline / single player mode or does it require an always online connection?

Just want to confirm if I'll be able to play them on the plane and if not, that's an issue with this service and why I miss regular VC.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
this is a really dumb hot take going by how much Smash will sell ergo "forcing" every one of those to

The only crucial things they're missing are a system wide voice chat and a party system imo, but saying that getting those things will take years is a major YIKES.
Party system, yes, Voice Chat, no.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Kind of off topic question but since this thread will get traffic, can you play NES games on the Nintendo Switch Online VC app offline / single player mode or does it require an always online connection?

Just want to confirm if I'll be able to play them on the plane and if not, that's an issue with this service and why I miss regular VC.
there is a need to "re validate" by going online (dont remember the exact time frames) but no, a constant connection is not required

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Wii U's online was already better. I could voice chat through the console itself, Miiverse was way better for posting things to than Twitter, and it was free. Switch has been a step back.
Miiverse is such an open wound and a missed opportunity. Whenever I see people discussing system wide trophies or leaderboards, I'm reminded that rather than see Nintendo copy these systems 1:1, they have an opportunity to make their own unique meta-game system, that would interact with Miiverse.

Much like VC for me, it's one of these services where I'd have preferred an incremental approach rather than scrapping it and hoping it comes back one way or another down the line. I assume they did this because they had to design a new system from the ground up, but it's still disappointing.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I don't think I could ever recommend the Switch as someone's only game console, because it's just awful for online gaming. Anything team based is just completely enjoyable due to the terrible hurdles you have to go through to communicate with teammates.

It's annoying, because I'd like to see Nintendo do these kind of games and it really kills them when they do. Splatoon is a non-starter for me because I don't want to play team-based games where I can't communicate with my team.

They're so far from where they need to be, and I hate that they're now charging people for it.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like Nintendo invented online services. So instead of taking years to reinvent the wheel how about looking around and already learn from what others are doing. Hell, even on Wii U the online services were somehow decent compared to Nintendo Online of now.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
there is a need to "re validate" by going online (dont remember the exact time frames) but no, a constant connection is not required

So as long as I connect my switch and load the app before my trip, it'll probably be good for at least a week?

Usually I never bring my switch when flying as I spend that time working but I'm going to Caribbean so I thought I could play NES games on the trip. So I need it on the way there then back.

Last edited:

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
this is a really dumb hot take going by how much Smash will sell ergo "forcing" every one of those to

Party system, yes, Voice Chat, no.

Party chat would be great, but games like splatoon having terrible chat implantations should have been fixed already.

There's no standard or parity even between first party games

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Im talking about features i could care less if SNES games ever came to switch,

Yeah, that's cool, but a lot of people do want SNES games, or N64 games, so it's amusing seeing them talking about improving the service when SNES games would be a welcomed improvement right away and they could probably get a SNES emulator up and running before the end of the week

Personally I couldn't care less about features, I've made my peace with not playing online ever since it was mandatory to pay for it, so my main concern is having access to classic games

I appreciate I'm probably in the minority though

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
How long did you think it would take? It took MS and Sony years to get their online systems to where they are today, Sony took over half a decade to really catch up to MS.

Nintendo is a decade behind and have shown themselves to be archaic in so many ways. This was always going to take years to get right.

I think that's even more reason to increase the amount of classic games available. That seems like something they can do now to entice players whilst they work out how to do everything else properly.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
For how long it took to go from ps2 to ps3 to ps4 online I feel like maybe they should invest more into this

That it is 10 years later it should be easier to start setting up but they should definitely seek outside assistance