• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
So apparently there will be a Splatoon 3 themed OLED announcement soon, and that's why the old trailer got privated.
Even if this model is true (it's pretty likely to me), that wouldn't make sense to private the original OLED video and I don't think they ever did that. Such models are usually announced in Directs, I think we're getting a Splatoon 3 Direct sometime soon and it's the perfect place to reveal this.

Last edited:

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
So apparently there will be a Splatoon 3 themed OLED announcement soon, and that's why the old trailer got privated.

Leaker said Splatoon 3 OLED today and Drake before the end of 2022. So, if we will get the announcement, I guess Drake is almost confirmed.

But they don't make private a video for a themed console, because we never got Themed Switch trailer.

RoboAddict

Jun 15, 2021
Leaker said Splatoon 3 OLED today and Drake before the end of 2022. So, if we will get the announcement, I guess Drake is almost confirmed.

But they don't make private a video for a themed console, because we never got Themed Switch trailer.
What's the source on this Splatoon 3 OLED model leak?

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo atm

jFiR0YC.jpg

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020

The leak comes directly from the moderator of a Chinese forum, the same forum that leaked the Lite shell 3 years ago. They mentioned that Nintendo would reveal a new themed OLED a while back, and today they confirmed that it would be revealed today at 9AM and it would be Splatoon 3 themed. They also mentioned that 'Drake' (the Pro/Succ/Switch 2/electric boogaloo) would be showcased later in the year

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
The leak comes directly from the moderator of a Chinese forum, the same forum that leaked the Lite shell 3 years ago. They mentioned that Nintendo would reveal a new themed OLED a while back, and today they confirmed that it would be revealed today at 9AM and it would be Splatoon 3 themed. They also mentioned that 'Drake' (the Pro/Succ/Switch 2/electric boogaloo) would be showcased later in the year

Got it. And they made that Drake comment today as well? Or is that one older?

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Got it. And they made that Drake comment today as well? Or is that one older?

Much older. It also corroborates statements made by another prolific user in the forum that is apparently a factory worker. The factory worker mentioned all the way back in April that Nintendo was working on a new Switch OLED themed console and a brand new Switch model. Those are the only 2 'leakers' that I'm aware of and the only reason their posts are being entertained is because it's the same forum that leaked the Switch lite backplate before anyone else. Now that the moderator also nailed the date, time and the theme of the revealed OLED model, I guess they have a bit more credibility

Last edited:

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Much older. It also corroborates statements made by another prolific user in the forum that is apparently a factory worker. The factory worker mentioned all the way back in April that Nintendo was working on a new Switch OLED themed console and a brand new Switch model. Those are the only 2 'leakers' that I'm aware of and the only reason their posts are being entertained is because it's the same forum that leaked the Switch lite backplate before anyone else. Now that the moderator also nailed the date, time and the theme of the revealed OLED model, I guess they have a bit more credibility

Thank you so much for the write-up. Super helpful and informative. I've linked to your post in the Splatoon OLED announcement thread as many people there were asking for context on the "leak," and your summary is superb.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So yeah, Nintendo is probably gonna copy the same playbook as the original Switch for the Drake. October reveal, March/April release.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, so something did happen, though it was something relatively minor.

That is very interesting. Thank you on elaborating on this subject.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The same leaker who predicted the Splatoon OLED said Pro will come later in the year. So probably a September reveal sometime after Splatoon releases for a Q1 release.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
So yeah, Nintendo is probably gonna copy the same playbook as the original Switch for the Drake. October reveal, March/April release.

That would mean they would also be omitting the first party games from their standard September Direct. I dont know if they can go that long without showcasing their next big first party games before making it completely obvious they are holding out for new hardware.

Also, the Switch reveal was a concept reveal more than anything. We didn´t see what it could really do or the games till the January before launch. So it hard to read how they will go about debuting a more powerful version of the same concept when they have relied on gimmicks being the front and center of their new devices for ages now.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That would mean they would also be omitting the first party games from their standard September Direct. I dont know if they can go that long without showcasing their next big first party games before making it completely obvious they are holding out for new hardware.

Also, the Switch reveal was a concept reveal more than anything. We didn´t see what it could really do or the games till the January before launch. So it hard to read how they will go about debuting a more powerful version of the same concept when they have relied on gimmicks being the front and center of their new devices for ages now.

It's definitely interesting how they will time this - I don't expect any game to be exclusive to the next Switch, so in theory they could go and announce everything for launch in a September Direct and just have it run as a normal Switch title. Do the Switch Pro reveal around January and have pre-orders ready and have the same games in 4K or whatever.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Figured I'd give an update here as my post got a lot of exposure. The same mod that leaked the reveal today just mentioned that they'd have to reconsider if what they heard about a new model later this year (I believe they mentioned September) is legit or not. However, they seem adamant that a new model is coming sooner than later

War Eagle

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Any idea if one or both of the leakers have indicated whether it's a Switch "Pro" or a full blown Switch 2?

War Eagle

Oct 27, 2017
USA
that's not something anyone outside of nintendo top brass would know. I don't think it's important. the specs will tell you all you want to know anyway

Yeah, you are (mostly) right on both points.

I would argue that beyond specs, backwards and forward (?) compatibility with the vanilla Switch is an important consideration for the >100M Switch owners. Switch "Pro" games would probably be the same as Switch games, but would Switch 2 games work on a Switch? Or would there be traditional cross gen games like Twilight Princess or BOTW?

Also, I believe that a thread dedicated to this mystery Switch has been ceaated since I posted my question this morning and we ought to take the conversation over there.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Any idea if one or both of the leakers have indicated whether it's a Switch "Pro" or a full blown Switch 2?

There's no way it's going to just be a Pro unless your definition of Pro is stretched to the breaking point and is basically indistinguishable from a true successor. Every element of the hardware is going to be so much better than the Switch that exclusives will have to happen, even if they're only third-party ones for a while.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Figured I'd give an update here as my post got a lot of exposure. The same mod that leaked the reveal today just mentioned that they'd have to reconsider if what they heard about a new model later this year (I believe they mentioned September) is legit or not. However, they seem adamant that a new model is coming sooner than later
Of course a new model is coming sooner or later. You don't have to be an insider to predict that and be right eventually.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
After updating the screen, Nintendo Corp. will update the dock next. New innovation: RGB.