• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
From the supplementary information for the second quarter earnings release, here's a list of games Nintendo is publishing in the Americas.

screen-shot-2017-10-3ymupe.png

Looks like Nintendo is taking over publishing duties for these two Square Enix titles in western regions.

Also, interestingly, DOOM and Skyrim are listed as being published by Bethesda, even though eShop says Nintendo. Not sure what's going on there!

Second quarter earnings release
Earnings release thread

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just about certain Bethesda is publishing it's own games on Switch. Maybe Nintendo is distributing it like they did with USFII.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
SE makes a shinny new exclusive game for Switch and couldn't bother with publishing it.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Octopath on paper sounds like something I would be instantly into yet the demo bored the shit out of me...

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
I do find it weird that they are releasing Builders worldwide but didn't bother with DQHeroes 1 + 2.

Oct 27, 2017
Also can't be bothered publishing the Switch versions of their multiplatform games.
To be fair, they did publish I am Setsuna and Spelunker Party themselves, and are self publishing Lost Sphear. That said, the way they always make Nintendo publish Dragon Quest and some other RPGs is weird. Like I'm glad Nintendo does make sure these games come over, Dragon Quest VII was one of my favorite games of 2016, and I'm glad they dropped the cash for them to localize it. Seems to me they should try to demand Sony publish their Dragon Quest games on Sony consoles outside of Japan, or refuse to release them then.

Seems to me Square Enix has a good thing going with their Nintendo stuff, Odd that they haven't tried to wring money out of Sony too. Could be Sony's western divisions don't give a shit about Dragon Quest or somewhat niche JRPGs and won't bite.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, they did publish I am Setsuna and Spelunker Party themselves, and are self publishing Lost Sphear. That said, the way they always make Nintendo publish Dragon Quest and some other RPGs is weird. Like I'm glad Nintendo does make sure these games come over, Dragon Quest VII was one of my favorite games of 2016, and I'm glad they dropped the cash for them to localize it. Seems to me they should try to demand Sony publish their Dragon Quest games on Sony consoles outside of Japan, or refuse to release them then.

I am Setsuna, Spelunker Party and Lost Sphear are all digital only though(well LS has a limited release). Anything with a retail presence is going to have to be picked up by Nintendo.

Oct 27, 2017
I am Setsuna, Spelunker Party and Lost Sphear are all digital only though(well LS has a limited release). Anything with a retail presence is going to have to be picked up by Nintendo.
I remember they self published Final Fantasy Explorers themselves on 3DS. Same thing with the Theatrhtyhm games and Kingdom Hearts 3D. Seems like they know they can get Nintendo to do most of the legwork on some titles for them, so they push it off on them.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember they self published Final Fantasy Explorers themselves on 3DS. Same thing with the Theatrhtyhm games and Kingdom Hearts 3D. Seems like they know they can get Nintendo to do most of the legwork on some titles for them, so they push it off on them.

In Europe Nintendo even handled the release of the first Theatrhythm and KH3D. Not sure about Curtain Call and Explorers(Nintendo promoted FFEX at the very least).

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
They are publishing Builders because it's a late porting after all. Doubt they'll publish Builders 2, which will likely be a simultaneous release with PS4.

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if it's because NoA/NoE has more faith in Square's Switch games selling in the west than Square does itself.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, Nintendo publishing SE games speaks less of SE and more of Nintendo (though early on, DQ probably was unviable to SE). Octopath looks like a game Nintendo stepped into very early (maybe even encouraged SE to make it) after Bravely Default. With DQ Builders, though, I can see Nintendo just footing the bill because of age. It could get a new lease on life if Nintendo puts the ad money into it.

Also, I wonder what the implications are with distribution deals compared to outright publishing. As in, where does the money go, and how does each one affect (regional) exclusitivity (see games like Lego City, Ninja Gaiden, and jrpgs like Star Ocean 4 and Tales of Vesperia)

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So who do I bitch to at Nintendo to publish KT's Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition in the west? I would really love to have them on my Switch in a language I understand, and I can't be arsed to play such longass games on big screen (one of the Switch's RotTK games got released in english on Steam IIRC).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I do find it weird that they are releasing Builders worldwide but didn't bother with DQHeroes 1 + 2.
Probably because Heroes needed a 32GB card while Builders is just a tiny 1GB.

I still sort if hope Heroes shows up but it's probably too late now and the games tanked on PS4/Steam anyway.

Draconas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A bit disheartening to see "2018 OR LATER" for Pokemon. Howver, it will most likely will release during November, right?

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
A bit disheartening to see "2018 OR LATER" for Pokemon. Howver, it will most likely will release during November, right?
These lists always just go by what was publicly announced. At E3, CEO of The Pokémon Company stated it'll take "more than a year" from June 2017, which is where they derive the "2018 or later" from.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo continuing their western Bravely and DQ partnerships on Switch isn't a bad thing. It won't happen but the meltdowns would be crazy if they somehow snagged western exclusivity over DQXI.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
What does 'publishing' really mean in the game world anyhow, and what of the ramifications for the publisher? What's this whole "different publisher in another region" thing anyway?

Thanks.

My understanding is it's based on faith in sales success? So if the game is a big hit or flop, that would be on the publisher to either profit big or eat the costs?

Square Enix don't have faith in publishing it here so Nintendo stepped in?

Doesn't that afford Nintendo some form of ownership on that game?

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo continuing their western Bravely and DQ partnerships on Switch isn't a bad thing. It won't happen but the meltdowns would be crazy if they somehow snagged western exclusivity over DQXI.
I hope that's not the case. But I do believe there's a good chance it will go PS4 exclusive instead.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I hope that's not the case. But I do believe there's a good chance it will go PS4 exclusive instead.
I feel exclusivity either way is unlikely. If it weren't Sony wouldn't have hosted the DQXI western announcement video and Nintendo wouldn't still be publishing DQ games next year. I'm pretty certain XI will come west on both PS4 and Switch at least.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this will be for sure though. Perhaps Nintendo maybe offered to distribute the game like they did with the Bethesda titles, but I don't think they're confirmed to publish it. Square Enix may still be self-publishing the game outside Japan.

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo published both Bravely games in NA, so it makes sense for them to do Octopath too.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if this will be for sure though. Perhaps Nintendo maybe offered to distribute the game like they did with the Bethesda titles, but I don't think they're confirmed to publish it. Square Enix may still be self-publishing the game outside Japan.
No, NOA/NOE are actually stated as publishers in their regions. This is like Nintendo with Bravely, YW or Layton in the west, they're publishing. Distribution deals are still classified under 3rd party.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I just hope we get the 3DS version too.
You are better hoping that the Switch version has the dual mode, IMHO...

I feel exclusivity either way is unlikely. If it weren't Sony wouldn't have hosted the DQXI western announcement video and Nintendo wouldn't still be publishing DQ games next year. I'm pretty certain XI will come west on both PS4 and Switch at least.

Yeah, for a moment I forgot that this is SE, who is way smarter than the other company that is getting roasted atm. Still, I wouldn't be too shocked.

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
Feels like they're doing an EA Square sort of thing where they want to ensure that select RPG titles by Japanese developers get the marketing and distribution support they need.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still sour about DQ Builders 1 Switch port. Do we really need this? If DQH 1&2 is any indication, it will be a port from Vita version, not PS4 one. Plus last thing Switch needs is more Vita ports. What's point of porting already handheld games? We need home console ports instead. Like, Nier 1&Automata. Ah, yes, Nier on a handheld... drools...

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to get the official name for Fire Emblem Switch......oh well.
You'll get "Fire Emblem for Nintendo Switch (temp.)" until E3 and you'll like it! Lol.

Not too surprised at Ninty picking up Square's slack on Octopath, since they did for the last two Silicon Studio games. DQ Builders is interesting though.

beni12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still sour about DQ Builders 1 Switch port. Do we really need this? If DQH 1&2 is any indication, it will be a port from Vita version, not PS4 one. Plus last thing Switch needs is more Vita ports. What's point of porting already handheld games? We need home console ports instead. Like, Nier 1&Automata. Ah, yes, Nier on a handheld... drools...
DQH 1&2 is not a port from Vita version, actually it's much closer to PS4 version

Nocchi

Oct 30, 2017
I thought it was pretty clear that DQH 1 and 2 were not vita ports, because they had considerably sharper textures then the Vita versions.

The only thing I'm sour on is that we're only confirmed to be getting DQ Builders 1...it's an alright game, but I need DQ Builders 2, and the Switch would be a great platform for it. The first one was good at laying the foundation for the series, but the second is adding things I really wanted to see the first one have.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was pretty clear that DQH 1 and 2 were not vita ports, because they had considerably sharper textures then the Vita versions.

The only thing I'm sour on is that we're only confirmed to be getting DQ Builders 1...it's an alright game, but I need DQ Builders 2, and the Switch would be a great platform for it. The first one was good at laying the foundation for the series, but the second is adding things I really wanted to see the first one have.

DQ Builders 2 Switch was already confirmed, it is coming. But nothing is known about the game but its logo. We might wait for it for quite a time. I'm hoping for simultaneous worldwide release, us switch owners deserve this.