• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have plans for doing another classic console in the future? Do you expect to release any more games on the classic consoles that have already been released?

There's no ability for add-on content with our classic consoles, so when you purchase the console it's coming with that set roster of content. We worked very hard, both for the NES Classic and the SNES Classic, to really have the best games that defined that generation. We've said that the current systems are the extent of our classic program. We've also been clear that, at least from an Americas perspective, these products are going to be available through the holiday season and once they sell out, they're gone. And that's it. The way that consumers will be able to continue participating with our classic content is going to be through Nintendo Switch Online, and we just released three new games (Ninja Gaiden, Wario's Woods and Adventures of Lolo) from the NES generation onto that platform. We look at that as the main way that consumers will be able to experience that legacy content.

From https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...sh-bros-classic-console-future-switch-1167948

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be nice to have more than a pittance of legacy content on Switch Online, then. We need more than NES stuff, for one.

Oct 25, 2017
It's been pretty weird seeing people assume Nintendo won't release anything past nes games just because.
It's interesting that by the end of December the nes online will have about ad many games as the nes Classic did, wonder how much more till they move on to newer platforms.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
I'm still fairly confident that
  1. SNES games will added to the Switch Online sub soon, possibly with GB/GBC/GBA games being added later once the 3DS finally gets discontinued.
  2. N64, Gamecube, and Wii games will start being sold individually without the VC banner.
  3. Mother 3 is still coming, though it might be a full remake considering how long it's been.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
They really better ramp up their releases on Switch Online then. Cos the current trickle of a few NES games every month doesn't interest me at all.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo should release more content from the NES/SNES/Other Systems then. Hopefully they clarify this in 2019's early Direct.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'm ok with that but 3 NES games a month is too little... and knowing Nintendo, when SNES games get in it will be 2 NES games and 1 SNES game a month....

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just put virtual console on the eShop and we good.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Well, they really need to beef up their offering on the switch then, it's pretty pitiful right now...

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Well..... there it is. Honestly unexpected but perhaps the cost of N64 classic and above was getting to be to much so contiuning was out of the question.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way that consumers will be able to continue participating with our classic content is going to be through Nintendo Switch Online,

Guess no, retro games for me then. Shame really as I wanted to play the Donkey Kong Country series and Earthbound in portable mode. :(

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
I may be really petty, but I can't bring myself to play these games on the Online service because of the button prompts on the bottom of the screen, I find it really cheesy looking.

gcncontroller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FL
in theory this is a cool idea but there's no way they're going to offer a good enough catalog to satisfy everyone on $20 a year, esp if they're splitting their efforts between NES/SNES/hopefully more... restricting NES/SNES to the subscription and offering N64+ as standalone purchases would be alright with me; still offering some incentive to buy into the online while making more off the "more valuable, recent" titles. too bad that's never happening!

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate, because the current NES lineup is so bad and it will take forever at 3 games a month to match the classic.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I'm still fairly confident that
  1. SNES games will added to the Switch Online sub soon, possibly with GB/GBC/GBA games being added later once the 3DS finally gets discontinued.
  2. N64, Gamecube, and Wii games will start being sold individually without the VC banner.
  3. Mother 3 is still coming, though it might be a full remake considering how long it's been.

I think N64 will still get the classic streaming games treatment if only because they're so small. You could load every worthwhile N64 game that Nintendo could easily get the license for into less than a gig nowadays, probably.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So about that N64 Classic Mini...?

Edit: A Gamecube Mini with Wavebirds and Melee wouldn't hurt either :p

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I'm sure SNES games will be coming soon. They are just waiting for that Smash online money.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
in theory this is a cool idea but there's no way they're going to offer a good enough catalog to satisfy everyone on $20 a year, esp if they're splitting their efforts between NES/SNES/hopefully more... restricting NES/SNES to the subscription and offering N64+ as standalone purchases would be alright with me; still offering some incentive to buy into the online while making more off the "more valuable, recent" titles. too bad that's never happening!

The cost of the classic consoles is a combined $140. That buys about 7 years of service theoretically. If the Nintendo online service games don't give me a fair value over the two classic consoles over the next 7 years then it will have truly been a failure. For now I'm not really stressed about something that amounts to less than $2 a month.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Fine by me. I don't think NCL realised how popular at least the NES Mini was going to be, so not surprised they didn't have significant long term plans.

In a few years, I can see them re-releasing one or the other at some anniversary with some different games though, just for funsies, and wouldn't affect their online shop.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been tempted for a while as I have the SNES Classic. This news has made me crack.

Amazon UK have them for £48 with Prime delivery if anyone wants one now. Great price as they were £80 a year ago.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo Online drip feed is awful. They should add like 3 games a week for each system.

Then you have a huge catalog and an actual selling point.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe we'll see the N64 Classic or others (Game Boy?) when they have another empty holiday season. That seems to be the original impetus behind the original NES Classic coming out after Wii U fizzled and Switch had yet to launch.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If that means we're getting SNES games on Switch online soon then I'm fine with that