• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Man, retouched snes games with online ability is a dream. Shame nintendo cant implement a lobby system on this service. Dont even have to talk to randoms.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Lol, so many high hopes in here for the online lineups. Like we havent been shafted two generations in a row for virtual console, but SURE, Nintendo wont be shitty and SUPER slow about releasing games for this service. I TOTALLY BELIEVE THEM THIS TIME.

If the past is anything to go by, we have a year, maybe two, of real effort and then it will dry up, leaving hundreds, maybe thousands of gems unreleased.

I honestly hope I eat these words but I fucking doubt it. Nintendo has the same problem as sega, rereleasing the same handful of games over and over, leaving some real great games in the cold for almost 30 years now. It's sad and I hate it and i blame no one for looking to emulation themselves when these companies could care less.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Been on the fence on the NES Classic for a while, but I guess this makes up my mind. Hopefully there are still plenty around for a bit in the new year.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Pretty much confirms that SNES will be moving to the NSO. If they are stopping selling the classic and they say that main place to get contant will be on NSO.

I mean it was already obvious that it was coming but these holiday sales of the SNES classic might have been a reason they were holding back until it's sold out.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
An N64 Classic would have been a terrible idea for many reasons. Very glad they're moving away from these systems and will now put all their eggs in the Switch basket for the foreseeable future.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
That wet, slimy sound you are hearing is thousands of scalpers licking their lips at once.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

It would be one thing if they release all these same old games by default and then said "here is some fun new shit" but we all know its going to be "hey everyone you can finally play.... SUPER MARIO WORLD!!! ON SWITCH tune back in a few months from now for the next hot update!"

They've drip fed the same bullshit so slowly and so consistently squandered their own library, that the reason the classic systems are so exciting is you can hack them and pack them with games you actually want to play in a convenient manner.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Wario's Woods is out! That's what you want right nerds?????

Nintendo is so.....awkward

I mean I know it's not the point of your post but Wario's Woods is a pretty fun puzzle game. In fact all 3 releases this month are solid. Nija Gaiden is a classic and I have find memories of Lolo. Of course more is always better but there aren't garbage tier titles at all.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
They need to hurry up and just release titles as they're ready instead of trying to make a collection to release at once. If I have to choose between new advanced "cutting edge" hardware from other companies like Microsoft and Sony versus 20 year old games from Nintendo in 2020 then the choice is clear nostalgia only goes so far.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
This is good news. Maybe eventually we'll even get Gameboy Advance, N64, and Gamecube games on the service. I'd be ok with paying a vastly higher price per year for the family membership if they had way more games and good emulation. I wonder if they could even eventually get DS games working decently.....

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances that the price of these will go up once these will be out of production? Maybe I could try to grab one as I could still find a couple more of these around where I live as these aren't really popular here.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
They are pushing sales. I've finally see consistent stock of both. Especially the NES classic

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Lol, so many high hopes in here for the online lineups. Like we havent been shafted two generations in a row for virtual console, but SURE, Nintendo wont be shitty and SUPER slow about releasing games for this service. I TOTALLY BELIEVE THEM THIS TIME.

If the past is anything to go by, we have a year, maybe two, of real effort and then it will dry up, leaving hundreds, maybe thousands of gems unreleased.

I honestly hope I eat these words but I fucking doubt it. Nintendo has the same problem as sega, rereleasing the same handful of games over and over, leaving some real great games in the cold for almost 30 years now. It's sad and I hate it and i blame no one for looking to emulation themselves when these companies could care less.
I mean, it's not like they can just release any game they want. Sure, it'd be nice if they could, but so many games are tied up in licensing knots - to speak nothing of those games which were actually based on licenses...

It certainly doesn't help that third parties have now realised the financial allure of remakes and remasters. After all, why put Mega Man on Nintendo Netflix when you can charge people for your own collection?

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I won't consider Switch online until SNES games become available. They're deluded if think people like myself would ever pay actual money for their current "service".

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
I'm not too interested in the NES Classic, but I picked one up last weekend thinking they might go away soon.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
First they have to actually start seriously making games available on Switch Online. The current library is pathetic, especially for the Switch being close to entering it's third year.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
No N64 classic...

Fuck off Nintendo.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Now add more stuff, the drip feeding is ridiculous.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
That's how I want to experience legacy content, so good.

Too late for that. They've allowed publishers to do what they want with their releases on Switch both online and retail. No common feature rich emulator for releases, no uniform branding and prices and some publishers actually released some of their games on retail collection instead (SNK, Square Enix).

It's chaotic and poorly thought out like usual with Nintendo legacy and online content.

Oct 27, 2017
Too late for that. They've allowed publishers to do what they want with their releases on Switch both online and retail. No common feature rich emulator for releases, no uniform branding and prices and some publishers actually released some of their games on retail collection instead (SNK, Square Enix).

It's chaotic and poorly thought out like usual with Nintendo legacy and online content.
This such a hilariously bad take, I don't even know how to respond. Nintendo can't mandate what publishers do with their old games. The idea that it's Nintendo's responsibility is beyond absurd

Nov 1, 2017
I was originally going to hack my SNES Mini, but Nintendo's OS is so pure that I just couldn't go through with modifying it. It is slightly tempting to pick an additional one up though...

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo Online drip feed is awful. They should add like 3 games a week for each system.

Then you have a huge catalog and an actual selling point.

Yeah, it's a massive competitive advantage they have that they can tap into this. Netflix of retro gaming.

It might just be a generational thing for me, but a library of SNES games is when it becomes meaningful to me. The transition from NES to SNES feels to me to equate to a transition from novelty "heh" factor into "this is a genuinely enjoyable gaming experience that engages me".

Maybe that's the problem from Nintendo's standpoint, they're terrified of disengaging people from purchasing new games, particularly the indies which to more casual gamers might seem interchangeable with SNES era games.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
This such a hilariously bad take, I don't even know how to respond. Nintendo can't mandate what publishers do with their old games. The idea that it's Nintendo's responsibility is beyond absurd

Microsoft and Sony seems to be doing a good job at it. PSX Classics all use the same emulator and a common price fork on PSN, same for Xbox and Xbox 360 games on Xbox live. Some titles got updated releases on PSP/Vita but are still sold like FF tactics as PSX classics. What's so hilarious about that?

On Nintendo online service some are gated on their online service, some are sold as emulated versions directly sold by publishers and thus have a different feature set and price fork. It's a free for all. Maybe it should have been the hilarious first part of your response.

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft and Sony seems to be doing a good job at it. PSX Classics all use the same emulator and a common price fork on PSN, same for Xbox and Xbox 360 games on Xbox live. Some titles got updated releases on PSP/Vita but are still sold like FF tactics as PSX classics. What's so hilarious about that?

On Nintendo online service some are gated on their online service, some are sold as emulated versions directly sold by publishers and thus have a different feature set and price fork. It's a free for all. Maybe it should have been the hilarious first part of your response.

Those aren't the same as 3rd parties releasing retro collections, which are also on those systems and also don't follow any consistency

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
drip.gif

I don't really care for the classic consoles but this is just another reminder that Nintendo is slow as fuck with these releases. 3 per month is terrible. I would love snes or gb but it feels like I won't see that until 2020.

Drought culture, smh.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
If that's not confirmation of SNES games are coming to NSO, I don't know what is. Glad they waited until after Black Friday to say this. Would've been a dick move to let the scalpers scoop them up early in the season.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad mini consoles are dead, they're very overpriced here in Mexico. And honestly I don't want extra plastic just to play old games.
Bring them SNES games to Switch and I'll be happy

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It seems to be much different from the past. The VC is now a service and will probably be expanded to the Switch successor.

Many old games are impossible to be released, because of license issues or because the licence holders want to rerelease the games themselves (or just wants too much money).

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Shame, the joycons are a poor substitute for an authentic-feeling controller with a proper dpad.

Oct 31, 2017
That's how I want to experience legacy content, so good.
Same here. I'll be honest that I haven't a clue what it will be like going forward but I was under the assumption the online service was going to gestate while these other two pieces of hardware were out. Now that they're ending perhaps the Big N will end the drip feed and focus on these classic titles coming more regularly.

I'd be quite happy to just see the regular eShop styled individually priced games again...

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
What honestly surprises me is that they haven't announced plans for a switch collection of the games in the classic consoles. I thought for sure we'd be seeing a NES Classic Collection and SNES Classic Collection on the E-shop with a limited physical release by now.

Of course, that would make less sense now that they've rolled out the subscription service but it seemed like such an obvious move when the NES classic was first announced.

As for the Switch Online service? It's pretty damn paltry at the moment so I hope they have plans to get more systems on the service. NES games are worthless to me at this point so they need to indicate that they are bringing SNES, GB/GBC/GBA, and N64 to the service, at minimum, quickly. (lol)

As it stands, Switch Online looks to continue to be a fucking sad replacement for VC for the foreseeable future.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
As much as I think my classics are cool, they really need to speed up game releases and bring SNES to switch library.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still hope they change plans at one point and do a N64 classic, since i think the chance of them contacting microsoft and working a deal for N64 Rare games is higher for a standalone mini-console than for the Switch online service.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Don't expect a great SNES library. Unlike NES, SNES has quite a few games totally worth playing today, many of which are better than a lot of modern indie games. That would eat into real gamer time which is the #1 resource they want. NES games aren't that good by today's standards outside of maybe SMB3 so no threat to gamer time.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
What if we're tired of playing all the same NES and SNES games and want some N64 and Gamecube stuff, Nintendo? What then? When will you actually talk about that?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Those aren't the same as 3rd parties releasing retro collections, which are also on those systems and also don't follow any consistency

If they had leadership and a clear plan from the start they could have done it though that's the point. Instead they rushed the release of the hardware without a virtual console in place so they've let publishers release their emulated ROM as they pleased without a common standard because they had nothing in place to offer them. It's also Nintendo's decision to have games sold or not on their hardware and to follow certain standards Now they've decided that their classic games will be their selling point of their crappy online service because online gaming sure won't be considering the lack of features and the app itself.

It's also 2018 where your two biggest competitors actually have good legacy support and backward compatibility on top of accounts systems where you don't need to buy the same legacy games on another hardware. It's pretty obvious about the kind of standard you can expect from PSX/PS2 classic or Xbox/360 classics and at which prices. Also non gated by a subscription service. It's not the case here at all.