• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I rarely play my NES and SNES classic. But its good to have it for nostalgia. TBH I monstly play NES online and mostly play Twin Bees anf Dr. Mario. I say bring on more NES and SNES games

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good, normally id be like well time
To rush out and buy them but id much rather play these game on my switch than have to hook up another box to the tv

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
As an owner of both the NES and SNES Classic Minis, I prefer playing old games on the Switch. Despite the killer line up of games on both minis, I have stopped playing them all together. If the exact same games were on Nintendo Switch Online, I would still be playing several right now.

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
in theory this is a cool idea but there's no way they're going to offer a good enough catalog to satisfy everyone on $20 a year, esp if they're splitting their efforts between NES/SNES/hopefully more... restricting NES/SNES to the subscription and offering N64+ as standalone purchases would be alright with me; still offering some incentive to buy into the online while making more off the "more valuable, recent" titles. too bad that's never happening!
There are many way they could provide them, premium sub, snes pass, individual purchases. Hopefully we have news early 2019.

Roukira

Dec 1, 2018
France, Paris
NSO is barebones right now, and the pace of game release is so slow. I hope they add other systems at the same pace, 3 games of each system up to N64 would be amazing (including handheld titles).

On a side note, IF they do add other systems, do you think they would add DS and how would it be emulated ( screens side by side ?)

Oct 29, 2017
NSO is barebones right now, and the pace of game release is so slow. I hope they add other systems at the same pace, 3 games of each system up to N64 would be amazing (including handheld titles).

On a side note, IF they do add other systems, do you think they would add DS and how would it be emulated ( screens side by side ?)

If they did DS VC titles, they would just port over the existing DS VC emulator from Wii U.

However, I don't think that they would do that until they release a revision of the Switch with an official active stylus and a built-in microphone...

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
There are many way they could provide them, premium sub, snes pass, individual purchases. Hopefully we have news early 2019.
No one is going to pay additional money for SNES games when they aren't getting their money's worth from the current subscription offering. That'd be one of the most insane moves Nintendo could pull.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I'm cancelling my subscription as soon as Smash tires me because I honestly don't think they're going to add Snes games anytime soon.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo stop playing around and just offer VC on the Switch. Let me pay for the specific games that I want to play.

Dec 6, 2017
US
The lack of a virtual console actually just kept me from investing in a Switch. There are currently only two or three games total I really want but the VC would've pushed me into a purchase. After reading about that whole subscription service model, I'm good for now.

Maybe once it's fleshed out if so?

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't understand why they are so fucking coy about the classic content on switch online. It's obvious that everybody is waiting for (the announcement of) SNES titles at least.

Why don't you give it to us Nintendo?

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
They really better ramp up their releases on Switch Online then. Cos the current trickle of a few NES games every month doesn't interest me at all.
Yeah. I honestly can't see anyone getting excited over this. Like "Yes! Another month, another 3 super-outdated-as-hell games available for me to play for 5 minutes each before they get boring on my Switch!"

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Does anyone know why Nintendo doesn't just dump as much as they can onto the service? How much work goes into each game?

Adding a giant library of NES and SNES games instantly increases the value of the Switch Online service.

I just want Earthbound, man.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Guess no, retro games for me then. Shame really as I wanted to play the Donkey Kong Country series and Earthbound in portable mode. :(

Have I got news for you.

o4ooxsgj7st11.jpg

Seriously, at the rate things are going, a 2DS or 3DS may be your only and last chance of getting legitimate portable Virtual Console games. And for SNES VC it needs to be a New 2DS or New 3DS.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I love the Switch Nintendo Entertainment System menu and stuff, cos I love lovely hi-res box-art, but they really need to pinch some of the Classic console features if they're going away for good. It has better filters, a better save state system, rewind functionality etc. Bring it all in!

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can live with having to wait for SNES and N64 games as long as they come eventually. Glad to see the Classic systems die.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
OK, as long as they don't pull the same shenanigans they pulled with SNES VC on 3DS when they release the second Switch model.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
They are pretty much widely available at almost every target I have been to at least. Not sure how that will play out with the holidays and all, but the initial mad rush at least seems to be over.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
#1 - Release more games on Switch. Bump the price, fine - but people want to play old games without fuss.

#2 - Please...PLEASE make the border optional and allow us to remap the controls on Switch.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this basically confirms SNES and more, though. So in a way, this is good. More games/systems coming, we just need to be patient.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
At 3 NES games per month?

Yawn, wake me up in 200 weeks, Nintendo.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a feeling they will accelerate the game releases in 2019.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
OK, as long as they don't pull the same shenanigans they pulled with SNES VC on 3DS when they release the second Switch model.
The regular version of the 3DS can't run SNES VC all that well. Byuu even has a blog post saying you need an i5 to comfortably play SNES games. Speed hacks only harm emulation.

optimiss

May 17, 2018
This. Seriously. Give us the damn option to freaking purchase the titles!
No thanks. I much prefer the Netflix distribution model to having to buy the same games over and over again on every console. Especially when they are digital purchases and will eventually disappear into the ether.

Hopefully the library expands to include other legacy systems and is carried forward to future consoles.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
A subscription model works but they need to open that faucet a bit more. Also some more options (button config, rewind, more filters, blind matchmaking, etc).