• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What about N64, GBA, DS, Game Boy, GBC, GameCube and other legacy systems game appearing on Switch too? I'm not buying their online service until it gets much, much better.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at how many people prefer an a la carte model as opposed to a subscription service. Sure, the way Nintendo is doing the subscription service (3 titles per month) is stupid, but I think the model works better in general for these things.

It will be interesting to see what happens when they get to the SNES. Surely we're not going to still only get 3 games a month. Obviously it should be a lot more, but if they got to a stage where they were doing say, 3 NES + 3 SNES + 3 GBA + 2 N64 it's starting to look better.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they're scrapping Virtual Console, it strikes me as almost an act of vandalism.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely zero issues with that. Besides the fact that we can't BUY the legacy games on Switch, and because they're offering them as incentives for Switch Online, we aren't getting nearly the breadth of legacy content we would if they were selling it. So that's a huge bummer.

But, yeah, I'm more than okay with the demise of the classic consoles.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
While the three games per-month thing is bad right now, if they keep that up as they add more and more systems, eventually we'll have a very healthy service with a good amount of games releasing every month. For now, it's just about patience.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it makes a lot of sense. The "classic" line was a response to the tanking Wii U and a nice distraction and revenue earner. Now they have a system that is going incredibly well they'll get more by using the classic games as a way to encourage online memberships and also push them onto the extras like the wireless NES controllers.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
If they're scrapping Virtual Console, it strikes me as almost an act of vandalism.

Yeah. The Virtual Console is an amazing concept and now Nintendo has decided they don't want to do it anymore. It's just criminal. It was also a big part of Satoru Iwata's legacy and they're just throwing it away. And even this has some defenders and apologists.

chiraledge

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still fairly confident that
  1. SNES games will added to the Switch Online sub soon, possibly with GB/GBC/GBA games being added later once the 3DS finally gets discontinued.
  2. N64, Gamecube, and Wii games will start being sold individually without the VC banner.
  3. Mother 3 is still coming, though it might be a full remake considering how long it's been.
This is still like my #1 pipe dream game for Nintendo to do.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm okay with it, but they really need to step up their game for legacy support on Switch. Idc about NES.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. The Virtual Console is an amazing concept and now Nintendo has decided they don't want to do it anymore. It's just criminal. It was also a big part of Satoru Iwata's legacy and they're just throwing it away. And even this has some defenders and apologists.

I feel like the Virtual Console is looked back on with rose colored glasses. In the post Wii era the Virtual Console featured:
  • a trickle feed (just like the online service)
  • mediocre emulation (both the classic consoles and the NES games on the Switch are emulated better)
  • high prices per game (compared to either the online service, the classic consoles or what third parties are doing with compilations)
  • a diminishing library each generation (Wii was the peak)
  • no way to share purchased games even with your own 3DS (meanwhile everyone on my $35 family plan can play the same NES games)
Sure the online service with just NES games isn't great right now, but it has to potential to be much better than Virtual Console ever was in a few years after the trickle feed builds up to be a really decent library for a single low annual cost. And unlike Virtual Console there is at least the chance that Nintendo doesn't reboot it for a Switch 2 because it will still be providing them significant revenue (unlike previously purchased Virtual Console games that could at best get them some sort of upgrade fee that even then people get upset about).

Personally I don't think the Switch Online service gets compared fairly to what the Virtual Console actually was in its last implementation (aka the Wii U). I feel like people either compared it to peak Virtual Console (so Wii era) or some fantasy technically possible Virtual Console people make up in their heads that has amazing emulation and every classic Nintendo game they ever wanted is offered for a great price (aka something like a legitimate retropie setup).

And I am not trying to dismiss the valid concerns, as there are many, but I feel like its equivelent to blaming all the problems in Bethesda games on an "engine." What people want isn't a reboot of the Wii U Virtual Console in most cases, they want Nintendo to do a better job of offering old content period.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Personally I don't think the Switch Online service gets compared fairly to what the Virtual Console actually was in its last implementation (aka the Wii U). I feel like people either compared it to peak Virtual Console (so Wii era) or some fantasy technically possible Virtual Console people make up in their heads that has amazing emulation and every classic Nintendo game they ever wanted is offered for a great price (aka something like a legitimate retropie setup).

And I am not trying to dismiss the valid concerns, as there are many, but I feel like its equivelent to blaming all the problems in Bethesda games on an "engine." What people want isn't a reboot of the Wii U Virtual Console in most cases, they want Nintendo to do a better job of offering old content period.

What the hell? How does Virtual Console suddenly equate only to Wii U Virtual Console, on Nintendo's troubled and worst selling system? The 3DS Virtual Console is still available too and its latest (last?) releases were a lot more relevant than Wii U's. And it's not like nobody is allowed to think about Wii Virtual Console anymore just because Nintendo killed it.

Just because Virtual Console wasn't always perfect doesn't mean that the atrocity that is NOS is somehow made better in comparison.

Jan 29, 2018
Even at its best on the Wii the Virtual Console was frustrating. Then it was frustrating on the 3DS, and frustrating on the Wii U. I don't know why anybody would expect them to do it right on the Switch. Obviously I'd love it if every VC game I ever bought was playable on my Switch by virtue of being tied to my Nintendo account, but the last thing I want is a chance to give Nintendo $8 for Super Mario World again, then Link to the Past nine months later, then Mario 64 six months after that.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Even at its best on the Wii the Virtual Console was frustrating. Then it was frustrating on the 3DS, and frustrating on the Wii U. I don't know why anybody would expect them to do it right on the Switch. Obviously I'd love it if every VC game I ever bought was playable on my Switch by virtue of being tied to my Nintendo account, but the last thing I want is a chance to give Nintendo $8 for Super Mario World again, then Link to the Past nine months later, then Mario 64 six months after that.

That's not how it worked in the Wii to Wii U transfer. The upgrade fee was actually really reasonable and you got to keep both copies of the game, one in the vWii and the other in the Wii U menu. That would be stratospherically better than what we have now.

Jan 29, 2018
That's not how it worked in the Wii to Wii U transfer. The upgrade fee was actually really reasonable and you got to keep both copies of the game, one in the vWii and the other in the Wii U menu. That would be stratospherically better than what we have now.

Except you had to wait for the games to trickle out again before you could pay the reasonable upgrade fee if you didn't want to have to use the awkward Wii emulator (and have a sensor bar set up). The whole thing was a mess.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The best comparison for schedule/lineup so far is probably launch aligned.

Wii Virtual Console
  • Donkey Kong (NES) Nintendo
  • F-Zero (SNES) Nintendo
  • The Legend of Zelda (NES) Nintendo
  • Mario Bros. (NES) Nintendo
  • Pinball (NES) Nintendo
  • SimCity (SNES) Nintendo
  • Soccer (NES) Nintendo
  • Solomon's Key (NES) Tecmo
  • Super Mario 64 (N64) Nintendo
  • Wario's Woods (NES) Nintendo
  • Donkey Kong Jr. (NES) Nintendo
  • Ice Hockey (NES) Nintendo
  • Tennis (NES) Nintendo
  • Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (SNES) Capcom
  • Super Castlevania IV (SNES) Konami
  • Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
  • Baseball (NES) Nintendo
  • Urban Champion (NES) Nintendo
  • Gradius (NES) Konami
  • R-Type III: The Third Lightning (SNES) Jaleco
  • Xevious (NES) Bandai Namco
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) Nintendo
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES) Konami
  • Mario Kart 64 (N64) Nintendo
  • Super Mario World (SNES) Nintendo
  • Ice Climber (NES) Nintendo
  • Kid Icarus (NES) Nintendo
  • Kirby's Adventure (NES) Nintendo
Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
  • Alleyway (GB) Nintendo
  • Radar Mission (GB) Nintendo
  • Super Mario Land (GB) Nintendo
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC) Nintendo
  • Donkey Kong (GB) Nintendo
  • Tennis (GB) Nintendo
  • Kirby's Dream Land (GB) Nintendo
  • Fortified Zone (GB) Jaleco
  • Qix (GB) Nintendo
  • Baseball (GB) Nintendo
  • Game & Watch Gallery (GB) Nintendo
  • Mario's Picross (GB) Nintendo
Wii U Virtual Console
  • Balloon Fight (NES) Nintendo
  • Punch-Out!! (NES) Nintendo
  • Kirby's Adventure (NES) Nintendo
Nintendo Switch Online
  • Balloon Fight (NES) Nintendo
  • Baseball (NES) Nintendo
  • Donkey Kong (NES) Nintendo
  • Double Dragon (NES) Arc System Works
  • Dr. Mario (NES) Nintendo
  • Excitebike (NES) Nintendo
  • Guosts 'n Goblins (NES) Capcom
  • Gradius (NES) Konami
  • Ice Climber (NES) Nintendo
  • Ice Hockey (NES) Nintendo
  • The Legend of Zelda (NES) Nintendo
  • Mario Bros. (NES) Nintendo
  • Pro Wrestling (NES) Nintendo
  • River City Ransom (NES) Arc System Works
  • Soccer (NES) Nintendo
  • Super Mario Bros. (NES) Nintendo
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) Nintendo
  • Tecmo Bowl (NES) Koei Tecmo
  • Tennis (NES) Nintendo
  • Yoshi (NES) Nintendo
  • NES Open Tournament Golf (NES) Nintendo
  • Solomon's Key (NES) Koei Tecmo
  • Super Dodge Ball (NES) Arc System Works
  • Metroid (NES) Nintendo
  • Mighty Bomb Jack (NES) Koei Tecmo
  • TwinBee (NES) Konami
  • Adventures of Lolo (NES) HAL Laboratory
  • Ninja Gaiden (NES) Koei Tecmo
  • Wario's Woods (NES) Nintendo

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
They really should at least still do N64 and a GB Classic. I think it'd be fine to stop there for now. GameCube ain't gonna happen.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
the snes mini is so good, I feel like buying a second one
The nes mini can die

I got the SNES first and was kind of shocked at how much worse the NES version is. I've decided to just box my NES as a collector's item but I'm keeping the SNES Classic hooked up in my living room for years to come.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
I was so excited for the SNES Classic until it was revealed the best game in its library was left out.

The thing is worthless without Chrono Trigger.

NES games were never good, the 8 bit era is rough.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
People expecting the Switch Online service to fulfill that retro fix must have never owned a Wii or WiiU. At the rate they normally go at with 3-5 games a month, the Switch will be replaced before they have a library even approaching what the Wii had.

I can see why they would hold back on production for the NES/SNES classic at this point considering they haven't been difficult for find for awhile now. I have two of each and think they are very neat to look at, and hopefully that continues with a N64 classic.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Except you had to wait for the games to trickle out again before you could pay the reasonable upgrade fee if you didn't want to have to use the awkward Wii emulator (and have a sensor bar set up). The whole thing was a mess.

Oh, so you had to use the sensor bar to play games that previously required the sensor bar? Oh boo hoo!

First you talked about the price, but when that didn't hold up, you instantly find something else to complain about. Are you complaining just for complaining's sake?

Jan 29, 2018
Oh, so you had to use the sensor bar to play games that previously required the sensor bar? Oh boo hoo!

First you talked about the price, but when that didn't hold up, you instantly find something else to complain about. Are you complaining just for complaining's sake?

I was referring to how you needed a sensor bar just to boot into Wii mode to play VC games, unless I'm remembering wrong. The point is the whole approach was dumb and having to wait for the library to trickle out again before I could upgrade my VC games meant the console's lifespan was basically over by the time I had my collection all in one place.

I'm not saying what Nintendo us doing now is the answer, but the idea that if they just did Virtual Console again it would be great us ridiculous. At least now I get to try out some NES games that I would never spend $5 on individually.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thinking about it, Nintendo should keep making these console here in Brazil, but they need to stop to charging $200 for each one...

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I'm hoping with Nintendo Switch Online they have been working on a future proof solution that will allow them to quickly port over the existing library over to the Switch's successor. But this being Nintendo, I have my doubts.

I wouldn't be against for the option to buy games individually. (No reason to be. Options are great). I think the $20 monthly fee is low enough to be worth it anyway though. Even if there are only one or two NES games you want to play now, that keeps you going for an entire year and who knows what else we will get.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I was referring to how you needed a sensor bar just to boot into Wii mode to play VC games, unless I'm remembering wrong. The point is the whole approach was dumb and having to wait for the library to trickle out again before I could upgrade my VC games meant the console's lifespan was basically over by the time I had my collection all in one place.

I'm not saying what Nintendo us doing now is the answer, but the idea that if they just did Virtual Console again it would be great us ridiculous. At least now I get to try out some NES games that I would never spend $5 on individually.
I could've sworn you can aim the Wiimote at the game pad thanks to an update.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Too late for that. They've allowed publishers to do what they want with their releases on Switch both online and retail. No common feature rich emulator for releases, no uniform branding and prices and some publishers actually released some of their games on retail collection instead (SNK, Square Enix).

It's chaotic and poorly thought out like usual with Nintendo legacy and online content.
Compilations are superior to the Virtual Console.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I definitely prefer the sub based library as opposed to buying things one at a time. I just don't understand why they're doing the drip feed thing rather than adding as much to the library as they can for immediate value. Is it a logistics deal? Like they just aren't able to get the rights to some of these games easily?