• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I was referring to how you needed a sensor bar just to boot into Wii mode to play VC games, unless I'm remembering wrong. The point is the whole approach was dumb and having to wait for the library to trickle out again before I could upgrade my VC games meant the console's lifespan was basically over by the time I had my collection all in one place.

I'm not saying what Nintendo us doing now is the answer, but the idea that if they just did Virtual Console again it would be great us ridiculous.

Even if they did a Virtual Console that only mirrors the games that are on NOS, even that would be better than no Virtual Console.

You can complain about sensor bars and trickles all you want, but the full enormous Wii Virtual Console available through Wii U also was really great, even if you had to go to vWii menu to access them, and the Wii U Virtual Console never actually fully caught up to what Wii offered. That was an amazing amount of classic gaming that just isn't Nintendo's priority anymore.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's gonna be an N64 Classic. Come on fam. (I wouldn't be surprised if they also brought back both consoles at some point but they probably made all the money already.)

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if the N64 patents were for reviving the controller for the Switch.

Nah there's gonna be an N64 Classic at some point too. Just not right now. I mean the console is less "Classic" than the NES/SNES and the hardware required to emulate it would be much more expensive than the current hardware used in the NES/SNES Classic. Knowing Nintendo, they're going to wait until the hardware gets cheaper. It will happen in the next 2-3 years for sure.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
More like sales have probably slowed enough to the point where it's not worth it to continue manufacturing, but still they're probably going to bring them back at some point.

They're regularly mentioned in NPD as doing really well, like just last month.

Hardware spend is up YTD: For the 2018 year-to-date period, hardware spending has increased 19 percent, to $2.7 billion. Spending gains for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Plug N Play devices such as the NES Classic Edition and SNES Classic Edition continue to drive growth.

Anecdotally I still hear and see lots of people buying these too. No reason whatsoever to believe demand is significantly down.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Why not both?

I have both the nes and Snes classic mini and would buy a GameCube mini, but will probably never by a switch or any other future Nintendo console.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're regularly mentioned in NPD as doing really well, like just last month.

Anecdotally I still hear and see lots of people buying these too. No reason whatsoever to believe demand is significantly down.
Just because it's still on the NPD doesn't mean sales haven't slowed. I see tons at all the retail stores in my small town. I wouldn't be shocked if stores still have a lot of back stock even after they discontinued it.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope it isn't long before we start getting non NES games on the Switch online service. Hopefully we end up with NES, SNES, N64, Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance one the service. I imagine Gamecube and beyond would be stuff they'd rather charge on a game by game basis, but hey, I'd be 150% down for Gamecube games on the Switch Online service.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
iiiiiit's drip feed time.
As much as I think my classics are cool, they really need to speed up game releases and bring SNES to switch library.
by the end of the generation you will finally have that one game you are looking for, just in time for a new console to come out so Nintendo can... reset the clock.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope it isn't long before we start getting non NES games on the Switch online service. Hopefully we end up with NES, SNES, N64, Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance one the service. I imagine Gamecube and beyond would be stuff they'd rather charge on a game by game basis, but hey, I'd be 150% down for Gamecube games on the Switch Online service.

I literally lol'd. You know that full list will never happen.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I sure hope we'll see some SNES games on the Switch in 2019. The system has been out for almost two years, and it's "legacy" content is abysmal.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
You get a DRM subscription or you get nothing. NOTHING!!!!

I suggest you get a New 2DS XL and scoop up any games you want before they're gone.

Had a New 2DS XL for awhile now. Cannot restate how solid it is with running SNES and NES titles via Virtual Console. Of course people who want a more robust library on the big screen probably would need to pick up the SNES and NES Classics and use Hakchi and a Everdrive or Cart backup device to expand their libraries in a legal manner.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Had a New 2DS XL for awhile now. Cannot restate how solid it is with running SNES and NES titles via Virtual Console. Of course people who want a more robust library on the big screen probably would need to pick up the SNES and NES Classics and use Hakchi and a Everdrive or Cart backup device to expand their libraries in a legal manner.

Yeah. Going to be real complicated getting classic games on the big screen soon.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
These are all systems that have had their games available on the VC. If Nintendo is serious about Switch Online being the home for their legacy content I don't see why we'd never get those games.

Those are the key points. This is not the Nintendo that did Virtual Console any more, and I don't see them being serious about "legacy content" except for some lip service.

I really wouldn't be surprised at this point if 3DS and 2DS are the last systems on which Game Boy games are ever made available.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
If Switch online started having gba games, N64 games and even possibly Gamecybe too, that would start being a killer service.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Those are the key points. This is not the Nintendo that did Virtual Console any more, and I don't see them being serious about "legacy content" except for some lip service.

I really wouldn't be surprised at this point if 3DS and 2DS are the last systems on which Game Boy games are ever made available.
That's ridiculous, Nintendo knows that their backlog holds value.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I need to pick up an NES classic soon. I have the SNES classic but I want them side by side on my office desk.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
There's gonna be an N64 Classic. Come on fam. (I wouldn't be surprised if they also brought back both consoles at some point but they probably made all the money already.)

I love how people refuse to let the dream die even though Reggie was pretty clear.

Come on, fam. Let's be real here. Without Rareware there's not much to put on an N64 classic.
Nintendo already has superior versions to Ocarina 64 and Majora 64 to port to Switch. Same with Starfox.
Everything else could just be added to the subscription service to encourage more people to sub.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how people refuse to let the dream die even though Reggie was pretty clear.

Come on, fam. Let's be real here. Without Rareware there's not much to put on an N64 classic.
Nintendo already has superior versions to Ocarina 64 and Majora 64 to port to Switch. Same with Starfox.
Everything else could just be added to the subscription service to encourage more people to sub.
I wouldn't take what Reggie said seriously. He and Nintendo in general say a lot of stuff to veil what they're working on.

Also your argument doesn't make any sense. Just because they remake games doesn't mean they don't re-release older ones. It's like saying Metroid shouldn't be on the virtual console just because Zero Mission exists. It's not hard to put together a decent N64 library and have it be better than the PS Classic even without Rare. People would buy it just to play Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time alone.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I wouldn't take what Reggie said seriously. He and Nintendo in general say a lot of stuff to veil what they're working on.

Yep. And I think he largely doesn't know much way in advance. Nintendo of Japan runs everything and are notoriously insular. It's not like Sony where their North American and European branches have a lot of power and input.

Oct 27, 2017
Would it be worth it to get a SNES Classic or just by a Raspberry Pi? Someone wants to sell me one for $180 and it comes with two controllers and like 300 games on it.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Talk about fucking up the bag, Nintendo. Glad I was able to snag them while I could, fucking ridiculous.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I definitely prefer the sub based library as opposed to buying things one at a time. I just don't understand why they're doing the drip feed thing rather than adding as much to the library as they can for immediate value. Is it a logistics deal? Like they just aren't able to get the rights to some of these games easily?
That's not an issue for their own games though. I think they're just copying Microsoft's and sonys approach but on those consoles they're getting three (?) new games per month, not three games released thirty years ago. They absolutely should do better.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. And I think he largely doesn't know much way in advance. Nintendo of Japan runs everything and are notoriously insular. It's not like Sony where their North American and European branches have a lot of power and input.
Oh he does, just don't him expect to say "yeah we're making a new product" in a random interview. New product announcements are always carefully timed PR events. And they probably don't want a repeat of that Miyamoto interview where he said they were making Pikmin 4.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can they just fucking do a proper Virtual Console instead of the bullshit they are doing now? The complete disrespect Nintendo has for it's back catalog is astounding.