• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
While this sucks a lot and i feel for the fans of the franchise, i appreciate that 1. They give us a direct update and 2. They want to guaranty the best quality for the title. In a better world they wouldn't have had to announce it until it was pretty ready in the first place, but with the state of metroid fans in 2017 their hand was forced. I hope the reboot goes well and retro delivers an amazing experience.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll be interested to see if Retro are even capable of matching up to the originals at this point. A lot of the top level talent that led those games have moved on, so it's not a sure fire shot that this game will be good.

Also, title should be changed to just "Metroid Prime 4 rebooting development" or something, and not the mouthful it is now.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's some fucking expectations settings. Damn.

Better rip the bandaid off now then quietly bury it i guess.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Can't say I'm suprised, there was a reason they still hadn't shown anything from the game. I guess that also means Retro's title might have been scrapped as well, unless its basically done already.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
The whole thing was weird from the start. Handing off Metroid 4 to a studio they wouldn't even name

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I fully expected it to be Nintendo's big game this year - next to Animal Crossing.
So, will it be the year of Tom Nook or do you think Nintendo will have something else in the pipeline for the holidays?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Restarted the development process entirely... What was even going with that game then? I take it that Retro wasn't the lead studio. Was it an internal project at Nintendo?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
"Retro Studio has enough workforce to make 2 games at the same time"
5 years after Donkey Kong TF : ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this the same Nintendo that were more than happy for Mario Tennis Ultra Smash to be released the way it was? That stings even more now.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I was looking forward to the Bamco Metroid Prime 4 developed by the iDOLM@STER team where Samus decides to be a pop idol.

Ikouros

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
People need to appreciate what an enormous gamble this is for Nintendo. This isn't a decision that will have been taken lightly, nor was it chosen to spite fans - quite the opposite.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
At least they are being honest with the fans. I can respect that. Hopefully retro get the support and expertise they need to make a game worthy of the series.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they're moving development back to Retro then that makes it sound like Star Fox GP must be nearing completion. I think Miyamoto said once that the studio is in a shape now that they can do two projects at once, but most likely they're going to try to double down on making Prime 4 because of how long of a wait it's gonna be.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who was developing it to begin with? It must've been real bad if Nintendo had to pull the plug on it AND restart development AND put out a statement about it.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Glad they're canning it if there was no way it was going to come close to meeting their standards, but this shows they need to significantly expand their internal studio holdings, which I've been harping on ever since they sold their stake in Rare to Microsoft.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to it in 2022 I guess :/

Like... Is it even a Switch game at that point? It's going to be well into next-gen.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully it will please gamers when it releases. This, to me, is similar to CD3 development having to start over (for MP). This what happens when you talk about games too early. I hope everything turns out ok. As long as pokemon is coming out this year, I'm ok with it.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
this will only serve to INCREASE expectations/hopes for MP4.

With a potential release date of 2023/2024, people will expect their minds to be blown to bits...
I'm just gonna play it cool. Easy like Sunday mornin'

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really classy way of announcing a delay. It is a bit disappointing, but it will be better for everyone in the long run.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Disappointing. I wanted a new DKC game by Retro =/.

I still loved the first MP, liked the second; didn't like the third.

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is retro studios the perfect developer for this, we will find out in a few years i guess

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Really disappointed we won't be seeing the game for years now but also happy Retro is on the job, my fears are kinda gone with that announcement. Guess whatever bullshit 3rd party studio making it couldn't cut it.

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. I mean I'm glad it's not just cancelled. But I'd honestly rather see what else Retro had up theirs sleeves.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm glad they are not going to release a turd but god dammit they couldn't salvage anything? Good god....

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
All these ignorant hot takes have me SCREAMING (not really).

This is normal game development. LOTS of projects get reworked, restarted, cancelled. The only thing unusual is Nintendo actually being transparent about it.