• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really stop Call of Duty from being appealing seeing as it's the best sold game year after year. "Optional" third-party cameras in games that were designed with first-person camera in mind are always going to be compromises to some degree. Not every game needs to be for everyone.
Yep. People can just not play it if they don't want to.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I would agree with you if Prime 2 didn't fail so hard at multiplayer already. That game showed me that unless you completely throw out the entire play-style and control scheme of the existing single player games it won't translate to multiplayer.

Feels like most FPS games with a successful multiplayer build the multiplayer first and then adapt a single player campaign to that play-style.
Metroid Prime has already had a fun multiplayer experience in Hunters.
Obviously it would need significant reworking, but the core was there for fun online

Escapist

Oct 29, 2017
Usually the issues with first person and nausea (in my experience) are related to the FOV, camera movement (ex view bobbing camera shaking etc), and sitting distance (relative to the FOV). All of which can be alleviated with accessibility options (turn off excess camera movement, optionally slow down turning, be able to adjust the FOV) that don't need to change the core of the gameplay.

I myself experienced nausea playing the first Metroid Prime and never got into the series as a result. Doesnt happen to me in all first persons games but Metroid was the worst offender. I would secretly love if the game just had a third person mode.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody will agree with you here, probably ever, but I myself experienced nausea playing the first Metroid Prime and never got into the series as a result. Doesnt happen to me in all first persons games but Metroid was the worst offender.
Not sure why when prime is way slower moving than nost first person games.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird seeing some constantly bring up and trying to theorize how many devs who worked on Prime are still left at Retro and try to tie to how good Prime 4 will be, a game we know literally nothing about. It's not like Retro in it's current form is incapable of making a fantastic game, especially since Nintendo is overseeing every aspect of the game's development like they did with the previous games. They even restarted the development because the previous dev couldn't meet the quality requirements but they are confident that Retro can. Retro has yet to make a bad game, i think they deserve a benefit of a doubt at this point, no matter who is currently at the studio, old talent or new.

This is what gets me, too.

Like, hey, what if their current talent is capable of making a Metroid game better than Prime 1-3?

New/different talent took us from Mario Sunshine to Mario Galaxy. Different isn't always bad.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Takahashi said they want to make prime 4 at least on par with the first three. So they probably think that demo and whatever retro told them is enough proof that it can be.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I hate you all for making me salivate over a DOOM inspired Prime. I'm going to be so sad when we don't get that now.
Who knows, but I actually wouldn't be surprised if we get something of this sort. Times have changed, the likes of Bulletstorm and Doom have shown us how such can be done, and I definitely would like a new Prime to have a much more agile Samus.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
For shooters, sure. Is Metroid a shooter?

Breath of the Wild: third person.
God of War: third person.
Spider-Man: third person.
Assassin's Creed: third person.
Tomb Raider: third person.

I'm just saying maybe make it an option.
Why make it an option? Not every game needs to be third person. Prime is built around being first person.

Jan 11, 2018
I agree with the notion that they should adapt some stuff from DOOM and other faster paced shooters.

Prime's combat mechanics are more than fine for your typical obstacle metroidvania foes and puzzle-bosses, but for anything resembling an actual shootout (think space pirate encounters), they won't be well recieved at the time of release.

The fights against the other hunters in Corruption were incredible and a huge improvement over the Dark Samus battles in Echoes. It showed Retro were able to make fast, arcadey action boss fights in addition to the puzzle based oned.

Last edited:

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
For shooters, sure. Is Metroid a shooter?

Breath of the Wild: third person.
God of War: third person.
Spider-Man: third person.
Assassin's Creed: third person.
Tomb Raider: third person.

I'm just saying maybe make it an option.
Metroid Prime's defining element is its first person perspective. Defining element. Thats what separates it from the Metroid series as a whole.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'd never insist on Metroid Prime 4 being a third-person game, but as someone that prefers third-person action to first-person in general, I wouldn't mind it if they included it as an option. I don't think that it would necessarily do harm to the series identity if they provided it. (And it's already partially in third-person anyway with the morph ball.)

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
I'd never insist on Metroid Prime 4 being a third-person game, but as someone that prefers third-person action to first-person in general, I wouldn't mind it if they included it as an option. I don't think that it would necessarily do harm to the series identity if they provided it. (And it's already partially in third-person anyway with the morph ball.)

Well then, just play the entire game in morphball!

just kidding

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
ERA does have a bias for third person, it seems.

First person and the immersiveness of looking at the world behind Samus' visor is one of the defining characteristics of Metroid Prime.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
I don't see the problem with Prime being in first person. It's not a conventional shooter like Battlefield or Call of Duty. It's way more slow and focused on exploration than shooting. That's why you can't even hold the button to shoot multiple times, you need to press it for each shoot.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer first person and would like more games to have that as an option, like in botw, but for some reason they didn't do that.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do they actually render Samus's model when you're in first person in the prime games? The Switch to Morph Ball shows her full model breifly.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
What some people want is likely not what would happen if a 3rd person mode was added. It wouldn't all of the sudden turn into other m DMC style gameplay. It would just be very clunky tank over the shoulder style, like those parts in other m. Is that what you really want?

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
They should keep the series first-person by default. I don't like first-person games and the Prime series are the only one i have enjoyed. I'm afraid being the game third-person only would make it lose its charm.

The fights against the other hunters in Corruption were incredible and a huge improvement over the Dark Samus battles in Echoes. It showed Retro were able to make fast, arcadey action boss fights in addition to the puzzle based oned.
I think it helped that they really leveraged the freedom that pointer controls allowed for in order to up the pace of that game compared to its predecessors. It's a very zippy game from beginning to end, which I hope is retained for 4.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
3 is the only one that I haven't played.

I Echoes on hold midway through, right before the second Dark Samus encounter after buying a Switch. I've had the urge to dust off my Wii, but decided to wait and see what the Trilogy HD is gonna be like.

If I don't see it in the next General Direct, I think I'll go back.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Changing the perspective is more work than just toggling some zoom switch. You have to make it so that everything is perfectly playable in both modes. This means changing how the player moves, and accounting for the visibility every necessary object. When you switch into first-person mode in Red Dead 2, you can see in the mirror how all of Arthur's movements change.

A third-person Metroid game could be cool. It should, though, be a separate entry imo. They could follow the model of the Arkham series, which has Metroidvania-style dungeons but also more of an emphasis on a scripted story, with a few action sequences. It'd be an expensive endeavour, though, and they'd need another unique team for it. Hopefully Prime 4 does well.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Who knows, but I actually wouldn't be surprised if we get something of this sort. Times have changed, the likes of Bulletstorm and Doom have shown us how such can be done, and I definitely would like a new Prime to have a much more agile Samus.
Here are a few ideas I think would work:
-Samus gets a bit faster movement speed, FOV is on the wide side, right stick aiming+gyro.
-Power Beam has automatic fire (No more bashing the fire button until your finger bleeds) and fires with RZ, LZ engages the charged beam. These are your first two attacks in the game.
-There are three other beams you collect over time, to keep it simple these could be the same as in Prime 1. (Plasma, Ice, Wave Beam) The difference is, they are useful outside of puzzles and very specific enemies, and you can use them for strategy in combat. Instead of charging, each has an alt fire activated with LZ. (Eg. Plasma turns into a flamethrower, Ice throws an ice bomb, Wave lets you throw an EMP to jam the enemy's electronics and make them vulnerable)
-The L button activates missiles. These work pretty much like the micro-missiles in DOOM 2016.
-After turning morph-ball with A, you have all the normal controls, but you can use it in combat by dropping bombs on the enemies that damage them and feel satisfying to use.
-Pressing the right stick lets you use a melee attack. Perhaps a glory kill/risk-reward system like in Other M, Samus Returns, DOOM, etc.
-The Speed Booster makes a return, with a twist: you engage it by pressing the movement stick, you charge energy for a dash, the camera moves to third person and lets you aim where you are going to go, it takes two or three seconds to load and then you either confirm by pressing the fire button or cancel by letting go of the stick, you can use it to dash over specific surfaces for puzzles or... to ram into enemies.
-Since we ran out of shoulder buttons, the R button brings up a wheel where the upper half is for beam types and the bottom half is for visor types. Use the right stick to select.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Now that Retro Studios are making it, it seems sure as hell that it will be first person, just as it should be. Now that I think of it, it even was confirmed in the original announcement press document. No use discussing about it, it is wasted time. Deal with it, there will be another 2D Metroid on Switch as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Do they actually render Samus's model when you're in first person in the prime games? The Switch to Morph Ball shows her full model breifly.
They don't. It just renders the cannon. The HUD is actually a massive dome that follows you with all the textures plastered on it and which follows you, and both the arms and the HUD draw over anything else so that they don't show clipping.
Only when you turn into morph ball and the camera switches to third person does the whole model pop up and showcase those few animations.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
I still think there's a chance we'll get a third person ZS Samus game, at least
Wouldn't that just be a Metroid game? Or are you thinking something like Bayonetta set in space?

I find the whole ZS Samus thing silly: I came inside from the rain the other day and took off my jacket. Next thing I know, everyone is calling me Zero Coat JJCon. I was okay with it at first, but things got weird once it was time for bed. Now, I just leave my jacket on all the time.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't that just be a Metroid game? Or are you thinking something like Bayonetta set in space?

I find the whole ZS Samus thing silly: I came inside from the rain the other day and took off my jacket. Next thing I know, everyone is calling me Zero Coat JJCon. I was okay with it at first, but things got weird once it was time for bed. Now, I just leave my jacket on all the time.
ZS Samus was only ever used to distinguish her in Smash.

They could easily make a Zero Suit-based Metroid game in the style of the late-game sequence from Zero Mission, though.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Now that Retro Studios are making it, it seems sure as hell that it will be first person, just as it should be. Now that I think of it, it even was confirmed in the original announcement press document. No use discussing about it, it is wasted time. Deal with it, there will be another 2D Metroid on Switch as well.

Deal with it ay? I don't think anyone here, especially me, the one who started the latest conversation of 3rd person thinks they should do away with 1st person Metroid. Thats what Metroid Prime is all about after all. Prime 1 had the 3rd person segments with the morph ball, Prime 2 introduced 3rd person wall jumping and screw attack so I wonder if they will try something else in 3rd person and I hope that they do.

But reading about the responses from the folks bringing up Doom give me hope that Samus will be more mobile and acrobatic in this entry, 3rd person or 1st. I like the way that Samus moves in Other M and hope some day certain ideas behind it will be revisited without all the questionable design decisions that came with it.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
ZS Samus was only ever used to distinguish her in Smash.

They could easily make a Zero Suit-based Metroid game in the style of the late-game sequence from Zero Mission, though.
It made sense in Zero Mission as a one off thing named after the game.. It's was acceptable in Brawl because it was a character transformation based on Zero Mission. Since then, its been dumb. If anything, the Varia Suit should have received the name change.

I'm all for different armor-classes in a Metroid game, but making a game around ZS Samus would just be forced. Nintendo already has several franchises that they could base a game like that around (not to mention licensing or making a new IP). The last thing the Metroid series needs now is another spin off.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It made sense in Zero Mission as a one off thing named after the game.. It's was acceptable in Brawl because it was a character transformation based on Zero Mission. Since then, its been dumb. If anything, the Varia Suit should have received the name change.

I'm all for different armor-classes in a Metroid game, but making a game around ZS Samus would just be forced. Nintendo already has several franchises that they could base a game like that around (not to mention licensing or making a new IP). The last thing the Metroid series needs now is another spin off.
I gave an example of how it could easily work based on series precedent. You jumped in thinking it was a ridiculous Space Bayonetta thing someone wanted.

Maybe think about how an idea could work and fit within the context of the franchise instead of dismissing it for being too "different".

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
I gave an example of how it could easily work based on series precedent. You jumped in thinking it was a ridiculous Space Bayonetta thing someone wanted.

Maybe think about how an idea could work and fit within the context of the franchise instead of dismissing it for being too "different".
What is your problem? I was responding to someone specifically asking for a ZS Samus game. I don't know, nor necessarily care, what you imaginary third person action/first person shooter Metroid game would be like. I was never talking about it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
What is your problem? I was responding to someone specifically asking for a ZS Samus game. I don't know, nor necessarily care, what you imaginary third person action/first person shooter Metroid game would be like. I was never talking about it.
I did talk about a ZS Samus game.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
they don't as far as i can remember, when you are in first person all that's rendered it's the arm cannon
Nah when you switch between the ball and normal perspective you get a brief glimpse of her full body

Edit: my bad, I see what you're saying. And yeah when the transition is over the third person mesh is hidden again and there's only the first person model drawn.