delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Nintendo has reportedly added support for Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and frame rates up to 240 fps to one of its in-house game engines.

A data mine of the new action adventure title from Nintendo, Endless Ocean Luminous, has revealed that it uses an updated version of the console maker's internally developedBezel Engine, which now appears to support higher frame rates up to 240 fps despite the Switch only being able to run games up to 60 fps.

Games running on prior versions of the Bezel Engine include both WarioWare titles, both Mario Party titles, Tetris 99, and some third-party Nintendo Switch titles. None of these games include code that indicates support for VRR or support for up to 240 fps. Therefore, the inclusion of both features appears to be very recent, and may have been done in preparation for enhanced backward compatibility support on the Nintendo Switch 2.

twistedvoxel.com

Nintendo Reportedly Added Support For VRR & Up To 240 FPS To Its Internal Game Engine

Nintendo has reportedly added support for Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and frame rates up to 240 fps to one of its in-house game engines.

Downgrade my game engine if old. Did a cursory search for "Nintendo" and "240", saw no search results.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I saw some analysis on a different forum comparing the old Bezel Engine and the new version, and one possible interpretation was that this was just a different implementation of functionality that existed in the old engine for a similar purpose.

I think without seeing what Bezel Engine supported before, it's really hard to draw any conclusions about what these settings mean. Note that despite how that article writes it, the original linked source even says the following: "Not sure if the older engine versions also support this". The source just says the new engine version has it without knowing if it's new. So this article doesn't seem to source where "reportedly added" is coming from.

Last edited:

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Could this hint at the consoles display being capable of higher refresh rates, say 90hz.

It would make the step back to LCD a little (and I stress little) more palatable.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
As per the report from Economic Daily, the Switch 2 hardware will be equipped with the NVIDIA T239 chip, 8GB RAM, 64GB storage space, and a battery with greatly improved life.

lol

definitely not running 240 hz with those specs

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This bodes well for 120Hz & VRR support on the Switch 2, at least docked.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Edit- Wow maybe I'm wrong. But I thought HDMI 2.1 supports 240hz at 1440p (or was it 1080p?).

Last edited:

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
I don't understand a single word that has been said in this thread (title included) so I will just say that I'm excited for the Switch's successor.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
People really believe in the 240fps ?🤣
Thing is, there are 144hz panels, so support up to 120fps only might limit it.

They could use something like the ROG Ally panel that does 120hz 1080p VRR. Or a custom panel that does 144hz VRR.

Doesn't need to hit 240fps. It can just drive the panel and quadruple the frames like PC Xbox does, same with Xbox for frame doubling at 120hz.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh this would be cool if true. Even if it gets nowhere near 120 or 240fps in terms of framerate, I feel there are many other advantages to supporting high refresh rates!

VRR is a killer feature for gaming, too.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Why would an engine need to support VRR? As for 240 fps it's about time as we're well beyond 1995 now when this was new.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
So the best case scenario is if the handheld screen itself has VRR, but if it doesn't, does that mean 120 Hz is the next best thing? It devides neatly to 30, 40 and 60.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Steam Deck can run plenty of games at 240 FPS. Why not Switch?

Why would an engine need to support VRR? As for 240 fps it's about time as we're well beyond 1995 now when this was new.
VRR is something that should be supported at the system level rather than the game level. We've seen how badly that can go from the PS5 implementation.
But perhaps they mean that game speed will not be locked to frame rate.

So the best case scenario is if the handheld screen itself has VRR, but if it doesn't, does that mean 120 Hz is the next best thing? It devides neatly to 30, 40 and 60.
Either that, or handling it like the Steam Deck, where you can choose just about any refresh rate between 47-90 Hz.
It has the drawback of running fixed refresh rather than VRR (high latency and potential for stuttering) but is far better than being locked to only 60Hz.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
No VRR would have been terrible in 2025, so they better support it.

I don't think anybody should reasonably expect games to actually make use of 240hz just because it's the max supported refresh rate. I wouldn't even expect 120hz games on a mobile device except for some very light 2D games.

So nothing really major here, imo.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
240hz could be because of the basic set of display presets that HDMI port on dock will support.

If the dock has hdmi 2.1 port, it would be weird to lack support for basic resolutions that this tech natively supports. Games will still probably still target 30/60 locks, no matter what display is connected.

As for VRR... nothing guarantees presence of high refresh display in Switch 2 console. It could still be 1080p60 panel, with basic 4X-60 VRR range.

No VRR would have been terrible in 2025, so they better support it.
No VRR would mean no VRR until Switch 3 releases in 2032+.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
I don't see any game running at 240fps, even 120fps would only be on very basic games.

VRR is the real benefit. Hopefully they have upgraded all their other engines.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
VRR screen would be nice. Highest fps possibly saved for backwards compatibility? Switch 1 games getting a breath of fresh air!

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
VRR would be nice on both handheld and docked.

VRR+DLSS would be extremely good and helpful in making the SW2 more futureproof and capable of supporting more demanding titles.

120/240fps, I don't really care about.

JCR

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ready for Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition at 240 fps

Tea-Stance

Feb 11, 2024
User Warned: Conflating emulation with piracy
The 240fps could be a future proofing thing or something they want to experiment with.

And of course the emulation comments in this thread are here. Already wanting to "preserve" these games I guess.

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
As low as possible is more likely considering hardware tendencies of Nintendo.

Yep.

As an example, Nintendo wanted to use less than 4GB of RAM for the first Switch. Capcom (and perhaps other publishers) requested them to increase it.

nintendoeverything.com

Switch dev talk - 50,000 yen for a kit, Capcom wants to make AAA games, much more

Earlier today, the Game Creators Conference was held in Japan. At the event, Nintendo’s Masaru Mitsuyoshi held a joint session with Capcom’s Masaru Ijuin about Switch. One big thing to get out of the way: Switch development kits. These are planned for a cost of roughly 50,000 yen. If you’re...

About main memory space, Capcom had told Nintendo that the initially planned space wasn't enough. If you are comparing to what's inside other current-gen systems, it definitely wouldn't be enough. In the end, Capcom's request was accepted and the memory capacity became as per to their expectation.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yep.

As an example, Nintendo wanted to use less than 4GB of RAM for the first Switch. Capcom (and perhaps other publishers) requested them to increase it.

nintendoeverything.com

Switch dev talk - 50,000 yen for a kit, Capcom wants to make AAA games, much more

Earlier today, the Game Creators Conference was held in Japan. At the event, Nintendo’s Masaru Mitsuyoshi held a joint session with Capcom’s Masaru Ijuin about Switch. One big thing to get out of the way: Switch development kits. These are planned for a cost of roughly 50,000 yen. If you’re...
RAM is traditionally an area Nintendo doesn't skimp though and RAM prices have stayed very affordable at high volume. Based on the rumors I think we'll see 12GB with at least 10GB allotted to games, which would be well balanced for what this system needs to do.