• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Look at that dip for teenagers too "cool" to be playing Nintendo, followed by that gigantic spike for people in their early 20s. Reminds me of this Awkward Zombie comic:

Awkward Zombie - The Pokemon Effect

Gags and goofs about videogames and the things that happen in them.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't that demographics graph only show age range? I was hoping it would show gender as well; to my memory, the Switch was at least initially worse than previous Nintendo handhelds on that front.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Nintendo spikes when people hit the drinking age COINCIDENCE I THINK NOT

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
What on earth is with that bump at 21, good lord

Curious what the NSO numbers will look like when we have data on the expansion pack

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
The $20 sub is fine value. The expansion pack certainly is not. I'll probably re-up for the $20 sub when Splatoon 3 comes out and maybe buy the N64 pad too (if the MacOS compatibility is decent).

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
32 mil is a lot but the service is (was) dirt cheap, especially if you can get on a family plan

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Doesn't that demographics graph only show age range? I was hoping it would show gender as well; to my memory, the Switch was at least initially worse than previous Nintendo handhelds on that front.

I'm betting the female demographic is 50-50 split or above. I see more and more females joining NSO, especially for the Animal Crossing DLC, which I'm wagering Nintendo was banking on to entice that demographic. Surprised to see more teens on NSO TBH. Was expecting more 40 and above age demographics to be higher

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Do we have online numbers for Xbox and Playstation to compare?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
32 million customers who, imo, should demand more and better for their money.
I split the family plan with the maximum amount of friends, so we pay like $4.50(?) for a year. I hear it's trivial to split it with people online too. At that price, it's close enough to free that the service is fine.

I wouldn't do $25 a year for what you get though.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
As far as we know it was 50:50 even before the launch of Animal Crossing.

www.resetera.com

EEDAR: Nintendo Switch demographics (50/50 Male:Female ratio, 18-24 largest demographic)

Worth noting, this 50/50 split has been achieved before Animal Crossing has even launched, so that female ratio should get even higher by year's end. There's a lot more in the article including money spent on gaming and the top five games played by Nintendo Switch owners, well worth a read...

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
That's a cool $100,000,000 a year minimum on NSO subscriptions. Good lord.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
"Over 250m Nintendo accounts"

Apparently I wasn't the only one who registered for an account without owning a Nintendo system for a while. 😆

Come on Nintendo, I'll come back home when you give me a powerful system again. Hopefully Switch Pro with some type of DLSS for 4k rendering. 😁

Edit- oh could also be mobile accounts. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
As far as we know it was 50:50 even before the launch of Animal Crossing.

www.resetera.com

EEDAR: Nintendo Switch demographics (50/50 Male:Female ratio, 18-24 largest demographic)

Worth noting, this 50/50 split has been achieved before Animal Crossing has even launched, so that female ratio should get even higher by year's end. There's a lot more in the article including money spent on gaming and the top five games played by Nintendo Switch owners, well worth a read...
Oh cool. That's definitely a good thing to hear.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
32 million customers who, imo, should demand more and better for their money.
I'll always take more and better for the same price, but NSO has been a great value for me. Especially since the voucher system basically covered 3 years of it for me. NES, SNES, Tetris 99 and Pac-Man 99 for basically no cost for 3 years is a great value.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I split the family plan with the maximum amount of friends, so we pay like $4.50(?) for a year. I hear it's trivial to split it with people online too. At that price, it's close enough to free that the service is fine.

I wouldn't do $25 a year for what you get though.

My main problem is that Nintendo offers less than even what they had on Wii U and Wii with Virtual Console releases, Netflix, web browsing/YouTube, etc.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
For $20 a year and what they offer 32 million is alright. If they were more aggressive in offering their first party NES and SNES games on it and had 1-2 extra Switch online games like Tetris 99 and Pac-man 99 I could see it hitting 40 before 2023. Though I'm assuming Nintendo feels that they hit the cap on growing the service since they launched the expansion this year. Which would be a shame if true as I think there is still lots of room to grow there with a bit more effort.

Interested in seeing how they plan to keep people subbed to the expansion service as the price is at a high enough barrier. That a good constant offering might be required to keep people subscribed year over year.

Last edited:

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Damn wish there was a gender split. Would love to see the comparison of how many women were playing on Switch pre and post-Animal Crossing 😂

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
What on earth is with that bump at 21, good lord

Curious what the NSO numbers will look like when we have data on the expansion pack
People during their teens are insecure and want to prove they are mature adults. Thus they shun content that is perceived as kiddy or aimed for children and gravitate towards things like Call of Duty. After they leave their teens, they realize how silly and immature that mindset is and are nostalgic for childhood experiences they enjoyed.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Apparently I wasn't the only one who registered for an account without owning a Nintendo system for a while. 😆

Come on Nintendo, I'll come back home when you give me a powerful system again. Hopefully Switch Pro with some type of DLSS for 4k rendering. 😁
Nintendo Accounts are also used for mobile titles.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, there are 8 million people who played their Switch last year, but have yet to turn it on this year?

Must be all those Animal Crossing COVID quarantine folks.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I'm betting the female demographic is 50-50 split or above. I see more and more females joining NSO, especially for the Animal Crossing DLC, which I'm wagering Nintendo was banking on to entice that demographic. Surprised to see more teens on NSO TBH. Was expecting more 40 and above age demographics to be higher

women, not "females" women. It's not your lizard you're talking about.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017

Most mobile apps use the NAcc; also, for some time now, if you want to purchase NNID content off the website, you'll need a connected NAcc with fused money.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and PC online gaming is free too while console gamers spent 60 bucks and more for it ...what's your point ?
Pretty sure their point was that the service is a bad value compared to similar services in the industry, despite its low price, and people should demand more. Rhetorical questions when their point was obvious. If you disagree say so rather than... helping them make their case?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure their point was that the service is a bad value compared to similar services in the industry, despite its low price, and people should demand more. Rhetorical questions when their point was obvious. If you disagree say so rather than... helping them make their case?
What current console service offers more at 20€ a year ? No disrespect but if you really think customers are loosing their sleep because of the NSO price point I don't know what to tell you. That's cheaper than 2 Netflix months.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's a shame that more of their games don't reflect their diverse audience. Hopefully that changes going forward outside of one or two studios.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, are we not supposed to be referred to as female? I must have missed something...
The use of "female" as a noun draws comparisons to sexist Ferengi in Star Trek. This has caused such a revulsion towards the word that some bristle even when its used as an adjective. But hey, seeing as it's right in your own fucking profile, I wouldn't sweat it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Wait, are we not supposed to be referred to as female? I must have missed something...
Female demographic? Sure. Someone saying they have personally seen "more and more females" joining Nintendo online is weird to me. The discussion around using females vs. women is old and commonplace though, a cursory Google will yield the arguments around it if you're curious. Might be interesting at least?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Basically, the way I've understood the discussion around it: "female" is an adjective, used to modify a word, while "woman" is a noun. Referring to, say, a female singer might be fine - maybe too clinical in the wrong context. Referring to "females", especially if you aren't also using "males" the same way, comes across as weird and dehumanizing.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bye bye Virtual Console.

Doesn't that pretty much put to rest the whole "Nintendo's customers are mostly kids" ... it's overwhelmingly adults, just like the audience for comic book movies is overwhelming adults (18+) even though comic books at one time were thought of as a kids medium.

Unless I'm looking at it wrong it looks like the Switch has more active users in the 40+ year old range than it does in the 7-12 year old demo.