• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
There are 35 Pokemon in the data that aren't in the Galar dex, this is likely just saying you can't use those.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
They've said they are not adding more Pokemon to these games.

Trying to wrap my head around why they would state that specifically. I can't imagine there being a fighting game and it specifically saying only fighters from this game are eligible. Why did they feel compelled to write that if we physically can't get anything else anyway? Not saying there must be more to it, but just trying to understand the thinking behind it.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon like Bulbasaur who aren't available yet won't have Pokédex entires IIRC. So it's referring to them I think

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Trying to wrap my head around why they would state that specifically. I can't imagine there being a fighting game and it specifically saying only fighters from this game are eligible. Why did they feel compelled to write that if we physically can't get anything else anyway? Not saying there must be more to it, but just trying to understand the thinking behind it.

Didn't they use this exact language for Sun & Moon as well? I believe this is their standard verbiage.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They're refering to the mons that will be legally available once Pokemon Home drops.

They said the same thing for online competitions in X & Y before Pokemon Bank dropped and Sun & Moon before they added gen 7 support to Bank.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They want to do Pokedex's this way from now on and don't want people getting any silly ideas about things like "patches" or "DLC."

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
How long is the season? If they have that rule, Pokémon Home may be released during it. Registering for it will probably have gift Pokémon like Bulbasaur and Squirtle which are already programmed in the game.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Ah I've been spoiler-free. Without spoiling too much, do these seem to be Alola forms of existing Pokemon, brand new Pokemon, or Pokemon from older dexes?
They're ones from older dexes.

They aren't obtainable in game in anyway, you'll either have to get them from events, hack them in, or possibly transfer them from Pokemon Home whenever that starts.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Coming from someone who hated what gamefreak did with the dex and the culling of moves and a ton more, I don't think this is a big deal, it's just them adhering to the wording of previous VGC rulesets.

No Gigas is baffling considering they are essentially Dynas with an exclusive move

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea. So the Galar Pokedex does expand so to speak, even if it is already programmed in. Interesting!
Kinda yes, technically no. The Galar dex doesn't expand, they are classified as "foreign" by the game so the assumpion is they'll be event gifts (Japan gets tons of them) and with that classification they won't be usable in online battles, tournaments etc. Those 35 are the only ones though, every other Pokemon is programmed into the game with their full movesets, but they don't have models or stats assigned so the game would need an update to do anything more.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kinda yes, technically no. The Galar dex doesn't expand, they are classified as "foreign" by the game so the assumpion is they'll be event gifts (Japan gets tons of them)

kinda smart to have these pokemon as event gifts. everyone was wondering what they are going to do with no mythical in it but getting a bulbasaur event pokemon for example is much more interesting to the crowd than getting a dumb mythical.

eliminating the need for unecessary mythicals is one of the few advantages of dexit.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is stepping in to save the day and all of our Pokemon. All of EPD is at GameFreak's office and hard at work as we speak.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wait it says you can't gigantamax, but I played a ranked game yesterday where you could??

I hope it's true as I absolutely despise gigamaxxing a pokemon in ranked, since it's unbalanced for 3v3

Edit: nvm apparently I was referring to "dynamax"

Fuck I was hoping dynamaxxing wouldn't be permitted but looks like I have to endure this crap

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
kinda smart to have these pokemon as event gifts. everyone was wondering what they are going to do with no mythical in it but getting a bulbasaur event pokemon for example is much more interesting to the crowd than getting a dumb mythical.

eliminating the need for unecessary mythicals is one of the few advantages of dexit.
There's space in the files for at least one new mythical.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah, mythicals are some of the best legendary designs with Zeraora, Hoopa, Victini, Volcanion, Marshadow, etc. The solution to them being unnecessary is to give them story content like back in gen 4, not get rid of them altogether.