• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Heroes generally lists the VA for a character when you pull them. Apparently not so for MByleth.

This seems to me to indicate that they are trying to dissociate and distance themselves from the VA, who, it recently came to light, is a controversial figure with multiple allegations of sexual harassment leveled at him.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Hope this is a sign for the complete removal of the VA in Three Houses.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I think I'm reading this wrong, the name of the male protagonist is Byleth? So he doesn't have a name anymore or did they change it?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Great news and I hope Nintendo (and other companies) does not work with the voice actor in the future.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Good, at least this means that we'll see a recast for Male Byleth in future appearances. Hopefully they can swap out the VA for whenever the Three Houses story DLC drops, especially considering how little he talks to begin with. I'm not gonna get my hopes up, but it would be nice.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's the voice actor that Vic whatever? There's a huge ongoing thread about him in the off topic section.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
There's already a thread for this.

But hopefully this is just the prelude and they revoice M!Byleth entirely, in both 3H and Heroes. Given that Byleth is mostly silent, and they have to do further recording for 3H's DLC anyway, it wouldn't be all that much more work.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh. So does the male protagonist have a canon name or is it just like, "The Professor"?
Both male and female avatars are called Byleth. What's happening here is that Male Byleth VA, which is/was involved in lot of bad things, was taken off from FE Heroes VA credits. So that means Nintendo/NoA IS trying to distance themselves from that VA and will probably recast the VA in either DLC or Heroes future content.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's the voice actor that Vic whatever? There's a huge ongoing thread about him in the off topic section.
No, Chris Niosi

Good news. Hopefully they'll recast him and patch a new VA into the actual game.
There's already a thread for this.

But hopefully this is just the prelude and they revoice M!Byleth entirely, in both 3H and Heroes. Given that Byleth is mostly silent, and they have to do further recording for 3H's DLC anyway, it wouldn't be all that much more work.
Unless Nintendo acts quicker than usual, our only chance at that happening is for whenever the story DLC comes out for Three Houses. Either that or whenever they do a Byleth alternate costume for Heroes, which may take a few months unless they already have one in the pipeline. With that said, I could see Nintendo & Intelligent Systems going back to redub Byleth's voice in both instances for the base game (Three Houses) & base version (Heroes).

Either way, even if we're stuck with Niosi in Three Houses, he'll be gone going forward.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Both male and female avatars are called Byleth. What's happening here is that Male Byleth VA, which is/was involved in lot of bad things, was taken off from FE Heroes VA credits. So that means Nintendo/NoA IS trying to distance themselves from that VA and will probably recast the VA in either DLC or Heroes future content.

So it's like Awakening where the male and female have the name Robin? But since the male VA for Byleth is a dirtbag only the female MC is called Byleth?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So it's like Awakening where the male and female have the name Robin? But since the male VA for Byleth is a dirtbag only the female MC is called Byleth?
No, they're both still called Byleth. The game mentions the name of the voice actor for each character. The name of Male Byleth's English voice actor was removed.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both are called Byleth.
The name of the male voice actor has been removed from Fire Emblem Heroes, which otherwise credits the VA right next to the character name.

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017

You aren't understanding. Nothing has changed about the male Byleth being named Byleth. All that's changed is that his voice actor is no longer credited for voicing him when he first appears.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
I got a feeling you are now going to see more voice actors demand that their name is not removed from games in future contracts.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I got a feeling you are now going to see more voice actors demand that their name is not removed from games in future contracts.
Most Nintendo games are non-union, so there's not much the actor(s) can do about this. I guess the Adam Baldwin situation with Code Name: STEAM served as a cautionary tale for NoA, & the ordeal with Chris Niosi will probably only solidify NoA's decision to stick with making their productions non-union.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
No, they're both still called Byleth. The game mentions the name of the voice actor for each character. The name of Male Byleth's English voice actor was removed.
Both are called Byleth.
The name of the male voice actor has been removed from Fire Emblem Heroes, which otherwise credits the VA right next to the character name.
You aren't understanding. Nothing has changed about the male Byleth being named Byleth. All that's changed is that his voice actor is no longer credited for voicing him when he first appears.
voice actor name has been scrubbed, not character name. both chargers are named Byleth.

Ohhh I feel so dumb. When I was looking at the image posted I thought they were talking about the "Trusted Professor Byleth" portion being removed. After googling the images I noticed where the VA spot is usually at and how it's absent in the image.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's like Awakening. Both male and female are called the same name, in this case Byleth. And no, the avatar name didn't change. His canon name still is Byleth. The voice actor for the Male Byleth had his name taken off from the credits of the Byleth character in FE Heroes. In Heroes, each character is voiced and has their VA listed below the character stats. What happened here is that a update last night took off the VA credits from the Male Byleth character screen, which means Nintendo is probably distancing themselves from him and will recast the VA for future content. So the character name still is Byleth, for either male or female, but the voiceactor(VA) for the Male character had his credits removed and the character will probably get a new VA in case they make more content(Like DLC).

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Both are called Byleth.

I think the confusion stems from the thread's title. I'd report your first post so that one of the mods can change it.

Edit: Disregard. I saw the thread title change.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ohhh I feel so dumb. When I was looking at the image posted I thought they were talking about the "Trusted Professor Byleth" portion being removed. After googling the images I noticed where the VA spot is usually at and how it's absent in the image.
Yeah, that's the gist of it. For example, if Byleth is to get in Smash Ultimate, he will likely have a new voice actor.

Oct 25, 2017
Most Nintendo games are non-union, so there's not much the actor(s) can do about this. I guess the Adam Baldwin situation with Code Name: STEAM served as a cautionary tale for NoA, & the ordeal with Chris Niosi will probably only solidify NoA's decision to stick with making their productions non-union.
What was Baldwin situation?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
No joke, I'm picking the female counterpart in fire emblem because of this news.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
For those not in the know, what has this VA done? Searched on his name but didn't come up with any good results, not knowing what to search for.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
What was Baldwin situation?
Adam Baldwin is the voice of Henry Fleming in Code Name: STEAM. He pretty much started GamerGate & is an overall bigot.

For those not in the know, what has this VA done? Searched on his name but didn't come up with any good results, not knowing what to search for.
He voiced Reigen in Mob Psycho 100's English dub, which put him on the map for many (myself included). As someone who loved his performance in MP100's dub, this whole thing was a punch in the gut.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
No, what I meant is, what did he do to get cancelled, in the words of the almighty Limmy? Not really interested in his previous VA gigs, but thanks :)

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, what I meant is, what did he do to get cancelled, in the words of the almighty Limmy? Not really interested in his previous VA gigs, but thanks :)
To quote:
It's been a very well known fact for years now that he is sexually abusive, manipulative, aggressive among many other things. There are many reports from his many exes but here is but one of them and this is but another.
At the very least, being aware of the kind of person that they have probably casted, confirmed that's he's broken NDA (something that would usually get you fired but manipulative VAs manage to get around) by this person, is half the battle. There's way more on him but, I can't believe they casted someone like this. I'll leave you with that.

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
87f53ebb29a3f33d3bd799acad476a88.jpg

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Cool maybe they'll have a new voice actor in time when they add the character to Smash Ultimate.