• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People lost their jobs over leaks. That's happened. Or in your words, "they got sad". Is that a good enough reason?
What are we talking about here specifically?
People were fired someone because someone else's leaked something?
Or people were fired because the game did poorly?

I'm honestly asking.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Game developers and publishers want to control the messaging around the reveal for their games, big surprises in an E3 conference give more momentum than a random tweet with a name and some details.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
Yes but they had to cancel an original game (lost $$$$), people probably lost their jobs (especially contracted workers), then make an all new game out of it (more $$$$).

The game concept eventually releasing only really affects the consumer and that's not who were talking about here.
Plus a company lost trust in another company, forfeiting any future cooperation, thus leading potential loss of jobs due to less contracts.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I'm telling you that "this game was cancelled because of a leak" is a specious argument, especially when that game's overall concept and goal was eventually realized and the game was released.

Movie concepts, stories, cast, and etc are known for years and I am not aware of any movie ever being cancelled because the trailer for it was leaked a week before a convention.

You can respect a video game by buying one you're interested in and then advocating for it.

"Watching the commercial" has absolutely nothing to do with "respect".

Except for the people who you know, lost their job and a ton a money because one person wanted to stick it to the man but instead hurt all their co-workers. But who gives a damn about that, the game concept lives on somewhere so gamers are happy. And that's what really matters.

Nice missing the entire point about respecting the people who make those commercial and not finding it cool that someone leaked all their information for their 15 minutes of fame. They can just go fuck off, apparently because it's just a commercial.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
We wouldn't be in this thread if the game industry was less hype driven.
I kinda feel for the marketing team who got their biggest event of the year gone into ash but shit happens and cat is out of the bag.
better luck next time and rely less on surprise e3 announcement to the point that sending a C&D letter is a viable course of action.
For the public, if they don't like leaks, they can avoid it, it's not that complicated.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
What are we talking about here specifically?
People were fired someone because someone else's leaked something?
Or people were fired because the game did poorly?

I'm honestly asking.
Check the last few pages. There's also many Devs apart from me around these parts that I'm sure would be happy to inform you about the real impact that leaks can have, you know, other than "sadness".

AB (^_^)

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
Mhh. I tried to search for Nintendo Related leaks and all I found was the gamestop skus.

What else did he/she leak?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I don't understand what "respecting the hard work" means here, outside "not saying that one thing" which I donno, seem pretty damn similar to limiting speech.
And just so we're clear here, I'm not a free speech radical and I think there are quite a few cases where limiting speech is justified, but that's still what you're talking about.

Respecting as in not finding it cool that some jackass on Twitter who wants to be famous for 15 minutes is more than willing to ruined and spoil the hard work of dozens of not hundreds of people.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Except for the people who you know, lost their job and a ton a money because one person wanted to stick it to the man but instead hurt all their co-workers. But who gives a damn about that, the game concept lives on somewhere so gamers are happy. And that's what really matters.

Nice missing the entire point about respecting the people who make those commercial and not finding it cool that someone leaked all their information for their 15 minutes of fame. They can just go fuck off, apparently because it's just a commercial.

I'm telling you that "we cancelled this game because of a leak" is a lie and there are way more plausible explanations, like "developing on the Wii U is a boondoggle".

And if your best example of a game that was cancelled because of a leak is a game which eventually morphed into another game and was released to critical acclaim, then I dunno. Find better examples.

You know as well as I that game concepts are discussed boot strapped, reworked, cancelled and then started again. That process is a natural one of the industry and not because something may or may not have been leaked.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every other entertainment industry manages just fine.

Even non AAA developers in the gaming industry manage just fine.
Every other entertainment business who can afford it also spends a lot of money doing the same marketing planning. And success stories for developers who can't afford a huge marketing budget don't really disprove the point. Or do you think that the companies who CAN afford marketing are wasting their money on nothing?

Ereineon

Nov 8, 2017
Games get cancelled and reworked all the time for a litany of reasons.

Nintendo, especially, is very vocal about this practice. Usually it's "a bad game is always a bad game if it is released, so we keep working on it until it is good". I've never heard them say "A good game would be released had it not been for those pesky leakers".
splatoon got realeased, as a new game, from a different team, reworking the concept. im sure that the first team that lost their right to make that proyect because it leaked were totally fine with this, because although they lost the job, what is important is that in the end the game was made one way or the other... so there were no loses or consecuences to say leak...

we even got something probably better than the original project! rejoice people! come to the light!

(just ignore the jobs lost, the change of studio and all those hours of work lost, who cares of that insignificant collateral damage? is nonexistent!)

please, be at least a little serious about this, we are trying to debate something that has consecuences, although they could be dismisive for you... many families wont feel the same

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Proof will always be in the pudding, I can't imagine Dragon AI Modeller #3 being mad because a game announcement leaked early

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Every other entertainment business who can afford it also spends a lot of money doing the same marketing planning. And success stories for developers who can't afford a huge marketing budget don't really disprove the point. Or do you think that the companies who CAN afford marketing are wasting their money on nothing?

Name one thing not a AAA video game that had the brakes put on it because people saw a trailer for it a day before the trailer's release.

Diddy Kong

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could only imagine how difficult it was to find someone tweeting out "I WILL LEAK EVERYTHING ABOUT E3 #E3SPOILERS" lmao.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
If you talk about Game of Thrones, you're talking about someone's copyrighted work. That's copyright infringement. Unless it's fair use.
I can't believe you're actually arguing this.

We've had game outlets like Kotaku reporting on leaks from their sources, leaks which nobody was aware of before that. Like several projects from Ubisoft and Bethesda. Assassin's Creeds and their titles and settings, what kind of game Fallout 76 is.

If what you're saying was actually illegal these outlets would have been long sued into the ground. It is not.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Your basically defending a commercial. A commercial.

For the love god, I'm defending the people who make the freaking commercial and the produce that the commercial is for, which was created over a period of years. 'Cooperation' doesn't magically make commercials. And it even more annoying when developers say how leak hurt, but it deflected with 'you're defending a commercial' or 'it's just a commercial'.

What is with this thread and the dehumanization of the marketing department? Do you really think the department is run by robots?

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I don't really think there are any winners here, but my god I can't imagine being that thirsty for some attention.

Me and Vern was talking about this last night. She's Internet fame hunting but she's not even capitalizing on it. She's not plugging her own content or making money. She gotta find a way to stay relevant after E3 ends lmao

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Proof will always be in the pudding, I can't imagine Dragon AI Modeller #3 being mad because a game announcement leaked early
Yeah, and hurricane Katrina wasn't that bad because I only got a few hours of storms. Just because 1 person on a team isn't affected doesn't mean that nobody is affected. Jesus, this is like arguing with Trump supporters. (It's snowing so climate change must be fake)

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
It's funny that there's so many people in here saying "why are you defending a company", while there's users in this thread who are actually involved in game development and understand exactly how leaks impact them and their teams.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Respecting as in not finding it cool that some jackass on Twitter who wants to be famous for 15 minutes is more than willing to ruined and spoil the hard work of dozens of not hundreds of people.
I don't find anything cool on twitter in general.
And really now, this is not about what I find cool or not, is it?
It's about what it means that people worked hard on a product means.
And I really don't think it means "the people who worked really hard on it gets to tell what I cannot talk about".

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Ok. And if that commercial gets leaked a few days before hand so what? People are still seeing it.
There goes an incredible amount of hard work into managing and timing those "commercials" especially when dealing with third party studios like Google, Microsoft, Sony etc. Even leaking it a few days in advance can put to risk those deals risking the lively hoods of devs.

The shortsightedness I am reading in the threads these past week from people who have no clue what they are talking about claiming there is no damage done with leaks. it risks hard working legit developers lose their lively hoods by threatening valuable deals around a product they are making. Behind that corporate shell are artist, programmers, sound designers, writers, QA that make these wonderful game experiences you all love possible. but sure lets defend a scummy leaker because you peope have some idea of sticking it to the man ambracing it like Sabi is robinhood fighting for the poor.

Aug 9, 2018
For those advocating transparency for the game industry, like knowing projects early on, how much information do you think is enough for people to be satisfied at that point in time? Is it enough to announce the name of the project? Setting? Story beats? Do you think everyone will be satisfied knowing those things or do you think that some may demand for more?

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the love god, I'm defending the people who make the freaking commercial and the produce that the commercial is for, which was created over a period of years. 'Cooperation' doesn't magically make commercials. And it even more annoying when developers say how leak hurt, but it deflected with 'you're defending a commercial' or 'it's just a commercial'.

What is with this thread and the dehumanization of the marketing department? Do you really think the department is run by robots?
How does a commercial leaking a few days before hurt the developers? Literally every other entertainment industry seems to deal with it fine but gaming is special because????

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Ok. And if that commercial gets leaked a few days before hand so what? People are still seeing it.

Except it isn't the commercial bring leaked here, but the produced. Just like how Mario and Rabbid got massive dumped on the internet with no context and people through the game was dumb and the people who made it were morons. And while it all worked out, this cause needless distressed for the developers, especially since this was their passion project.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe you're actually arguing this.

We've had game outlets like Kotaku reporting on leaks from their sources, leaks which nobody was aware of before that. Like several projects from Ubisoft and Bethesda. Assassin's Creeds and their titles and settings, what kind of game Fallout 76 is.

If what you're saying was actually illegal these outlets would have been long sued into the ground. It is not.
I mean Beth obviously took issue with Kotaku leaking their stuff, as they have been stonewalling them ever since. So I am sure they would have sued if it was an option.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There goes an incredible amount of hard work into managing and timing those "commercials" especially when dealing with third party studios like Google, Microsoft, Sony etc. Even leaking it a few days in advance can put to risk those deals risking the lively hoods of devs.

The shortsightedness I am reading in the threads these past week from people who have no clue what they are talking about claiming there is no damage done with leaks. it risks hard working legit developers lose their lively hoods by threatening valuable deals around a product they are making. Behind that corporate shell are artist, programmers, sound designers, writers, QA that make these wonderful game experiences you all love possible. but sure lets defend a scummy leaker because you peope have some idea of sticking it to the man ambracing it like sebi is robinhood fighting for the poor.
Maybe the problem isn't the leaks but how toxic and shitty game development is?

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
This thread has more than proven that these posters honestly don't give a damn about the developers. Like no one has been able to answer my question of, "what is the benefit of gamers knowing information that will be fully revealed in 48 hours or less", nor have I have I gotten a response when I gave a real world example of a developer having their game leaked and then torn apart by the internet without them having a way to properly present it because someone wanted fame for being one of the first to leak a Switch exclusive.

That and people who work in marketing are less than human because they work for 'cooperation'.

To me this is the equivalent of your big sister telling you what your folks have got you for your birthday. You'll find out anyway and you'll be happy but the surprise and excitement is ruined.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Except it isn't the commercial bring leaked here, but the produced. Just like how Mario and Rabbid got massive dumped on the internet with no context and people through the game was dumb and the people who made it were morons.

Huh. And was the game cancelled? Did sales tank? Did Nintendo swear to never work with Ubisoft again? Will there never be another Mario crossover?

Oh. Huh. Imagine that.