• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How would you rate the September Direct?

• A: It was one of Nintendo Best Directs

Votes: 226 17.7%
  • B: Very Good Direct with a few issues

Votes: 520 40.7%
  • C: Good Direct but need more

Votes: 345 27.0%
  • D: Bad Direct but hey Animal Crossing was announced

Votes: 143 11.2%
  • F: Oh my God Nintendo is Doomed!!!!

Votes: 44 3.4%

• Total voters

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
Now that the delayed September Nintendo Direct is over, I feel like it went rather well. We got lots of ports like all the Final Fantasy games, Diablo 3 release date, Warframe release date, and Civ 6. Then we had a few great announcements of new first party games like Animal Crossing Switch and Luigi's Mansion 3. The biggest letdown of the Direct IMO was Nintendo Online, Nintendo failed to make a compelling argument on why we needed or should even want it. Overall it was a very good Direct with a few issues. I honestly would put this Direct over the E3 Showcase. I give it a B+.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Only letdown was the lack of a MMORPG announcement.

Other than that it was great!

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The EU Nindies one was the best in ages, the E3 one the worst since the switch reveal, this somewhere in the middle.

We knew Nintendo Online was going to be a joke for months.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it immensely. It was very well paced, had updates for existing games and previously announced ones, great new game announcements, and gave a good roadmap for the Switch going into early 2019. 8/10.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Grade = C

Other than the Capcom Beat'em Up Bundle, Chocobo Mystery Dungeon and Towns, nothing else was interesting or exciting. Sure there were other games, but I already own them on other platforms. I mean, I'm glad Luigi's Mansion 3 was announced but that was just it, it was announced. And the way they explained the Nintendo Online service was horrifying. It didn't live up to my expectations.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imma give it a solid B.
It had two really cool announcements in Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing whilst also having a boatload of ports (which is a good thing imo) all those Final Fantasy games in particular have got me very excited. Would have liked to have seen more of Fire Emblem and maybe get a Xenoblade collection pack that has Xenoblade 1 and X remastered for Switch but I think what we got was pretty damn good in the end.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Easy B. Tons of announcements and incredible momentum. I wish every Direct was this good, it was so much better than their E3.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
We got the new President on camera and the prodigal son (mainline Final Fantasy) has returned. Anything beyond that was a bonus in my book.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think they kinda flubbed the announcement of the Animal Crossing stuff, and didn't do a great job with their pitch for the online service, but there's lots of interesting games coming, and some nice momentum for third party stuff. Very good overall.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty lukewarm on it until the Final Fantasy bombshells, that + Isabelle in Smash kinda salvaged it for me. Luigi's Mansion 3 is cute to see, and it's nice to know AC is coming, but I almost wish they waited till they had more to show for them. Everything else looked neat but I wasn't super into most of it (though I think it's funny that TOWN looks more exciting than Let's Go)

It's kinda setting up 2019 as a year of lots of big "little" games, with no universally hyped megatons like Mario, Zelda or Smash. And that's fine by me honestly, I prefer Nintendo when it's all about the variety.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Letters are weird. 7.5/10 to me. Here are my impressions from the main thread

+ Final Fantasy. So fucking hyped for this, I'll for sure buy VII,IX and X for the 1000th time. Not a fan of XII, WoF or CC.
+ Daemon x Machina still looks sick. Day 1
+ Town - Very curious what GF can do with the switch, what I saw has me excited for Gen 8.
+ Yoshi - Looks 1000x times better, it def needed the delay.
+ Great third party support

- No Fire Emblem. This is very strange, we either have a FE direct or I think it's getting delayed until later in 2019.
- Luigi's Mansion 3 looks rough, like Yoshi when they showed it. I'm sure it will look way better next year.
- $60 for NES controllers lol
- They still can't say anything about the switch rewards, what the hell?
- Isabelle. 0% hype.

Neutral about the other stuff. Including Animal Crossing. I'm aware it is a megaton though. Happy for you guys!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is not a Final Fantasy or Animal Crossing fan I'd give it a B. Civ 6 would've been pretty big if it didn't leak.

RoyLee

Aug 19, 2018
A solid B for me. I don't think anyone saw the Luigi's Mansion game coming, and Animal Crossing was inevitable so that was cool. Glad the smash announcements were kept on the downlow this direct!

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It was good direct for the overall future of the switch, but Im not gonna lie and say I enjoyed it. I didn't.

The animal crossing announcement felt ... anticlimactic with just the logo, felt like direct ended with a wimp

They shouldn't have shown lugis mansion 3ds months ago, cause when they showed luigis mansion 3, I thought it was the 3ds game

Also Isabella for smash announcement felt very lacking compared to the last character trailers we got for Ridley/belmonts/king k. Rool which we're very hype and cinamatic.

Also ports ports porta potty. But again nice to fill the switch library

Hopefully a smash direct next month is announced so I can fill this void in my heart. Give us hype sakurai :(

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
I thought they had a diverse lineup, which is a really good thing. Most of the games weren't necessarily up my alley, but that's fine. I'd give it an 8/10.

That AC/Smash fakeout was incredible though.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A pretty solid B. My only issues were the unncessary lengthy times passed on some already known games (like the tableboard stuff) and I guess the lack of concrete footage for Animal Crossing. Otherwise it had solid first party announcements and good third-party showing.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I thought it was really good. I'm glad Smash only got a minute or so of time. Lots of content coming in the next few months.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have to be honest, at some point I figured the delay was in part due to Nintendo wanting to remaster the Direct, just like all the content within.

Joking aside, there were a few good announcements, but I cba with most of it. As one of few who don't care for Animal Crossing, much of it seemed irrelevant to me, but that's just how it goes from time to time. People seemed pleased.

I was mostly stoked for TOWNS. Certainly not the actual game, but because I figured if that's what GameFreak can in fact do in terms of graphics, I could seee next years Pokémon reveal to be interesting.

Also I was happy to see Final Fantasy getting lots of love. I haven't completed many of them, but I always wanted to - especially IX and XII.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Im not sure what "a few issues" on the B option means.. But sure, it was good, just not groundbreaking

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
If you pretend some stuff would be announced in this first, like it was supposed to be, I vote B

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Numbers-wise it was good, they objectively announced a lot of big games. It's just not much that interests me personally as I have no interest in Final Fantasy, Smash, Yoshi or Animal Crossing.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Good direct, would have liked some more/longer gameplay footage of the new announced games.

Then again, those are all 2019.

Only thing that annoyed me was the $60 pricetag on the NES Joy-Cons.

I'll just wait for a clearance sale.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Very little talking and tons of videos. I give it an A- and thats just because some games announced I was not interested in.

Never got into animal crossing and the smash character looks annoying and I will hunt them down first like Ness and donkey kong.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
A solid B. Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing announced. A good last months of the year is set in stone and the titles available are up my alley. Next year already has a good portion filled with just Nintendo titles. This year was great for me and next year is looking to be huge for Nintendo with all of this titles we already know about.

Oh and Isabelle in Smash is really cool.

Deleted member 3925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it immensely. It was very well paced, had updates for existing games and previously announced ones, great new game announcements, and gave a good roadmap for the Switch going into early 2019. 8/10.

?

249.jpg

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty underwhelming due to the surprises being revealed due to the earthquake delay (which they shouldn't have done imo)

That overlong online section seriously took me back to the dark days of Wii U marketing.

6/10 imo.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
really liked it, katamari was a huge deal for me, and yoshi went from a maybe to a day 1 because of that trailer.
the other stuff was neat too i guess.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
To me it was a whole lot of nothing, except for LM3 and AC, which are huge megatons (and isabelle). So overall I voted good, but not like amazing.

Yoshi also looks really good, forgot about that.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
I still can't believe its 2019 and they haven't ported World of Warcraft to consoles yet, obviously you couldn't play on the same level of someone with mouse and keyboard you'd think they'd have found some way to port a version of it.

Plenty of ways - the PC version has mods aimed at delivering a console-like experience. It's just that Blizzard doesn't want to manage two versions of WoW. Balancing takes a lot of time, and it would be like managing two games at once.

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of late ports and a few new games that just don't interest me (not a Luigi's Mansion or Animal Crossing fan)

Town (working title) looks GREAT. I'm definitely interested in that

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is SUPER exciting (but because of the delay it was announced early)

I like that World of Final Fantasy is getting an expansion or whatever. A little late now and I don't think I'll go back to it anytime soon but I did love the game.

Pretty indifferent on the rest