• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo should buy out TPC at the first possible opportunity, and just upend the bucket on the whole franchise. Get Game Freak out, go deep on a proper next-gen Pokemon experience, and cash in like only a properly ambitious sequel can.

It'll never happen.

the other parties would never sell
the game you want would be much more expensive yet sell about the same

this is incredibly dumb.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Christ, between this thread and the amount of ignorance about the whole Galar Dex mess it's clear to me that the general public knows very very little of how Pokémon actually works.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Really do hate when people think this is so simple and act as armchair CEOs.

That would be a terrible unrealistic idea. Same with all those dumb "nInTeNdO sHoUlD bE gIvEn ThE sOnIc FrAnChIsE" threads you see.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Honestly, since XY looks like Game Freak doesn't want to do Pokemon anymore. They don't develop good new ideas, they don't try to push the game to another level, they fuck with competitive with every new idea they make. People can be against this idea, but they should give GF a break to do other stuff.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Or they should just force Gamefreak to get their heads out of their asses and expand to the point where they don't alienate the entire fanbase with stupid as fuck decisions.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
As far as I know, Nintendo can't even do that as it's not wholy owned by them. Also, Game Freak is fine, they just need to use some of those billions of dollars to invest into the games that push their merchandise sales.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo giving away Pokemon.
qGhiEIe.gif
LOL...the ol' grass is greener fallacy.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
"Nintendo should take a franchise away from the people who own it and force it on people who likely don't want it."

I hadn't see many bad takes yet this E3. Thanks for providing, I was really missing them.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That won't happen because Gamefreak has leverage on the franchise and neither Nintendo or TPC are unsatisfied with Pokémon or how their partner is doing.

i think the breakdown is even split 3-ways between Nintendo, Gamefreak and The Pokemon Company.

so technically POkemon isnt even a first party Nintendo IP

NotThisShitAgain.png

Pokemon isn't Nintendo's IP to hand off to any developer they please.

Copyright is divided between Nintendo, Gamefreak and Creatures. Trademark is owned by Nintendo. It's absolutely their IP even if divided with other companies and a brand manager like TPC.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo should buy out TPC at the first possible opportunity, and just upend the bucket on the whole franchise. Get Game Freak out, go deep on a proper next-gen Pokemon experience, and cash in like only a properly ambitious sequel can.

It'll never happen.

Upending the system sounds like breaking the backwards compatibility, which is what people are so pissed about.

As long as they are committed to coexisting with previous gens and their stat systems, there is only so much the developer can change.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Beyond the ridiculous decision to not have all the Pokemon, I'm honestly satisfied with a lot of the changes they are making with Sword and Shield. It's definitely overshadowing the positive shifts that are happening in the series. I really, really think they need to flood more money into Game Freak, the disparity between Pokemon's global success and the development resources that are available is ridiculous.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That won't happen because Gamefreak has leverage on the franchise and neither Nintendo or TPC are unsatisfied with Pokémon or how their partner is doing.

Copyright is divided between Nintendo, Gamefreak and Creatures. Trademark is owned by Nintendo. It's absolutely their IP even if divided with other companies and a brand manager like TPC.
The larger point is that it's not Nintendo's call to let IS make the next mainline Pokemon game. The closest IS ever came was a pitch to make a Pokemon x Fire Emblem crossover, but that got shot down because Pokemon Conquest came about.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak own just as much of The Pokémon Co as Nintendo.

It's their franchise as much as Nintendo. If you don't like it, that's tough.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon is the story of how to handle a IP to stay relevant for more than 25 years.
GF and Nintendo have made an amazing work, even if everyone feels like the games should cater more to them (and as a competitive player, of course I would love A LOT of canges).

Theres no IS game worse than X/Y
X/Y campaign?, maybe but I freaking loved the MP during the X/Y era. Most people just look at the main campagin of pokemon games ignoring everything else (completing pokedex, breeding, post game challenges and MP)

X/Y improed many of those when comparing it to the last games with the Friend safary, destiny knot, weather nerf, megaevolutions, etc...

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
TPC is split between Nintendo, GameFreak and Creatures. I doubt GameFreak would sell their portion of Pokemon. That IP is without a doubt their largest part of the revenue generated for them.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

No.

The Pokémon *Company* is jointly owned by Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures. Game Freak own the same stake in TPC as Nintendo.

It's not Nintendo's IP. The IP is managed by TPC and de facto is Trademark controller and Nintendo does not control the trademark outside of their ownership of the property because of this.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The production values would noticeably go up, they would try to satisfy both hardcore and casual fans, and the gameplay would evolve in interesting ways

would pre order without any gameplay footage tbh
They would give it to Team Ninja 🤢

I actually think the new Pokemon looks nicer than FE TH

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Sword/Shield looks much better than 3 Houses visually though...
3 Houses does not scream "high production value" to me.
Pokemon_Direct_2.27.2019_29-49_screenshot.0.png

048-byleth-postbattle.jpg

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Why IS of all studios? Lol

I could get behind GF partnering up with a bigger studio that is used to make more ambitious games, but not completely handing it over (specially not to a studio with such a different game profile). I think there are many things about the games and mechanics that would be lost without GF on the boat.
Now this is a good idea they don't even have to go far, if they continue with the open Pokemon thing, i wouldn't mind Monolithsoft lending a hand 🖐

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's not up to Nintendo alone, as Game Freak & Creatures all have an equal share of the franchise.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Sword/Shield looks much better than 3 Houses visually though...
3 Houses does not scream "high production value" to me.
Pokemon_Direct_2.27.2019_29-49_screenshot.0.png

048-byleth-postbattle.jpg
Different engines and art styles.

Assuming in the bizarro universe that IS somehow was given the task of making a new Pokemon generation, they wouldn't build it off of FE engine tech.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Are we talking about the same IS that is currently relying on K-T for help developing the game. I've made the arguement that GF should allow for some outside help like Monolith. However, so far Sw/Sh looks like it is doing a lot right and is making significant improvements to the series. The only Galar Pokedex pokemon is a bit dissapointing. However, I'm thinking we will end up with a 600+ pokedex. In the grand scheme of things it wont be that big of a deal. Then again Gen 3 was my favorite gen.

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
Nah, Pokemon just needs a bigger team and more teams so like COD so each game has a longer dev cycle

Oct 25, 2017
If you would rather have your precious Pokémon run over everything instead of more Advance Wars or Code Name: STEAM (or indeed even more FE), your priorities are wrong, your taste is wrong, your judgement is wrong, and I'm glad you're not in charge.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.

The Pokémon *Company* is jointly owned by Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures. Game Freak own the same stake in TPC as Nintendo.

It's not Nintendo's IP. The IP is managed by TPC and de facto is Trademark controller and Nintendo does not control the trademark outside of their ownership of the property because of this.

I know TPC is a jointly venture of them and I never said they don't manage the serie, but TPC is irrelevant in the equation for ownership which is what I was talking about. Like I said before, Nintendo have the copyright and trademark of Pokémon. The difference is that TPC exists and they manage the franchise in and outside of games. In the case of console gaming, they publish it along Nintendo.

© 2019 Pokémon. © 1995–2019 Nintendo/Creatures Inc./GAME FREAK inc. Pokémon, Pokémon character names, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo DS, Wii, Wii U, and WiiWare are trademarks of Nintendo. The YouTube logo is a trademark of Google Inc. Other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
www.pokemon.com

Legal Information

Legal Information

The larger point is that it's not Nintendo's call to let IS make the next mainline Pokemon game. The closest IS ever came was a pitch to make a Pokemon x Fire Emblem crossover, but that got shot down because Pokemon Conquest came about.

Sure, we can agree on that. XD

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
sure why not. i havent liked many of their games, but hasn't put out a good pokemon game since the DS, and i dont expect them to do well with the next one.

they just seem bored with it

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't outright take the development entirely away from GF, but it could make sense for them to co-develop it with a studio that is more experienced with the tech side of development, so that GF can concentrate on the story, characters, presentation, etc.
I'm not sure that IntSys would be such a developer though.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sold on Three Houses yet and Conquest was absolutely abysmal. So before they get anything else than FE they should get FE right again.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I, for one, think Nintendo should just buy Dark Souls and let GF develop it from now on.