• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't wiff, they hedged bets. Just like the GCN, gba, and ds.

Of course they hedged their bets, but that doesn't mean it was handled well or a good decision. Considering the relative software performance between the two devices post Switch launch, and Nintendo having to revise the 3DS software forecast down these last two years, they obviously miscalculated in greenlighting so many 3DS games. If they hadn't been so conservative with the Switch it's software pipeline would be healthier, and they could have made significantly more money overall.

Oct 26, 2017
The 3DS was a great system that ended up offering a stronger collection of games even if the Nintendo lineup was atrocious (just like the DS). This is pretty much the graal of JRPGs
What? I'd argue that the 3DS has by far Nintendo's best handheld games. Quite the opposite of the DS, where their own offerings weren't the best on the system

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I love the thing for the games it has had in general, but it was outdated hardware from the start.

Clearly built off the dark moon engine. Doing a full remake for the switch would be way too much.
Every nintendo handheld is "outdated" from the start, what makes the 3DS any different

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just get rid of it. Since I got the Switch I must have turned on my 3DS a dozen times or so. Going back to that hardware, those uncomfortable sides, the small screens, the horrible stick... no thanks. Hopefully no more exclusives are "wasted" on the 3DS like last year.

Oct 26, 2017
It was a bad console outside of giving me some good Atlus games. It really didn't compare to the DS imo.
To be fair, what could? The 3DS was a weak follow up to what basically was a cultural phenomenon. I maintain that both 3DS and WiiU should have been released as DS Pro and WIi HD to pad out the lifetime of those consoles a bit. Because as full on follow up consoles they both were insanely lacking. (3DS not as much as WiiU to be sure)
Soon
une-mini-switch-pour-remplacer-la-3ds-48183-491.jpg
Ditching the USP of the switch is such a bad idea I am constantly flabbergasted to see it floated around seriously.
A Switch Mini makes literally no sense.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's probably because the 3ds went for a lot of traditional home console type of games, unlike pure handheld ones, so it made the hardware stand out more.
That might be it, possibly, at that point handhelds were catching up to cionsoles in graphics(leading to the switch) so alot of console ports were a sign that handhelds had to evolve.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There are still some games in my 3DS backlog i need to complete but i feel they should retire this now so they can focus on the switch from both internal and from a buyer perspective.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Why couldn't they port it to Switch as well?
This is the more interesting question, given that we have seen two concurrent first-party releases in Toad+- and Sushido (though they didn't do particularly well). The answer is probably models and textures. Interestingly the 3DS LM reworked a lot of these, but it's safe to say that doing the same thing just for Switch would have been significantly more involved, nevermind doing scalable assets or two sets of them.

Sometimes I wonder if Switch would sell less if it had a DS-style card slot, not necessarily with BC (though I wouldn't be opposed to the feature assuming Ninty didn't cripple most of HW for it), but allowing multiformat physical releases.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's been pretty clear that this FY is the last year with new 3DS releases from Nintendo. It's nice that we've finally moved on, but it's sad that so many greenlit 3DS games from current FY completely bombed. It was hard to predict a collapse of this magnitude.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo doesn't want to lose what's little of the portable market yeah the revision should be a Switch lite.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
4M always seems like a lofty target, even more so than 20M for Switch.

This should be the end of the 3DS. After Kirby we should be done. This pretty much concludes Nintendos DS series.. a wild 15 years.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
tenor.gif

The 3DS and Vita generation was the best handheld generation. I grew up with the Game Boy and I loved everything about it. So many lovely memories about it. I am also eternally thankful for Kid Icarus Uprising. So long old friend. You were dope.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if it is the same people who always complained how Nintendo drops support for a system after like 5 years, and yet if they do, people complain that they keep supporting a system.

huggers

Dec 11, 2017
As is tradition for me with handhelds, the twilight of their lives is when I tend to jump on board, been considering a 3ds for a while. There's a huge number of games I'm keen to play

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
It had a good run, but it's time for a sucessor. Price reasonably this time.
Time for GameBoy Ultimate, a pocket tablet capable of playing every Nintendo game through N64, maybe Gamecube. Maybe even Wii but controls would be an issue. Also bring back all the platforms from Wii Virtual Console.

Can it be done for $100?

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, what could? The 3DS was a weak follow up to what basically was a cultural phenomenon. I maintain that both 3DS and WiiU should have been released as DS Pro and WIi HD to pad out the lifetime of those consoles a bit. Because as full on follow up consoles they both were insanely lacking. (3DS not as much as WiiU to be sure)

Yeah, I had thought this too. The WiiU should have just been an HD Wii with more power and the advanced gyroscopes in the MotionPlus as standard.

The 3ds should have dropped the 3D for a higher resolution top screen instead of the expensive low resolution 3D panel.

But hey... It all worked out in the end!

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
75m in the end isn't bad all things considered. Best console this gen imo, g'night sweet prince.

But hey NOA, I'd still be all over a DQXI loc. Just saying.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I had so much fun with the system. Definitely one of my favorite Nintendo system ever. Great first party offerings, great first party eshop games, great rpgs and decent third party support. I also liked things like themes and Badge Arcade.
Glad to see 2019 will be some kind of 3DS renaissance for switch softwarewise

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I think Nintendo did a good job supporting the 3DS this long.

In past times people would complain about lackluster support towards the end of a system's life span. Besides Luigis Mansion (which I doubt will take up a lot of resources) what is there to come anyways? The 3DS support is clearly done. It had a good run in the end. Nice little system. Now it's time to move on :)

kitsuneyo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
How do you handle docking the system without buying additional controllers?
You do need to buy additional controllers. It's a handheld, and if you want to dock it you need to buy a controller. It shouldn't be a big deal.

The system itself would be cheaper than a standard Switch, a lot of buyers might already own a standard Switch with controllers.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
With how successful the Switch is, it's time to put 3DS to rest.
Truly a great system that kept Nintendo afloat at the hardest time.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
You do need to buy additional controllers. It's a handheld, and if you want to dock it you need to buy a controller. It shouldn't be a big deal.

The system itself would be cheaper than a standard Switch, a lot of buyers might already own a standard Switch with controllers.
How much cheaper would it be if to use the system on a TV (a major component of the system's key selling-point) you are required to still spend another $80 for a pair of joycons? Hell, would it even come with a dock at that point?

lemonhat

Dec 6, 2018
Yeah, the switch mini strikes me as a really daft idea (although you never know with Nintendo, haha). A smaller screen will make some games harder to play (I already struggle in handheld to read the text in some games). No multiplayer out of the box. Not compatible with the current dock. Even worse battery life. And I'm not sure there really is that much demand for a smaller switch anyway. The 3DSXL massively outsold the standard size from its release for instance and consumers seem perfectly happy with big phones (I'm typing this on a 6.5" phone). This notion of the importance of 'pocketability' is just silly and I don't think the vast majority of people care.

I really don't see how it would be worth Nintendo the R&D expense of squeezing the switches internals into something even smaller when the market for such a device probably isn't all that large. Are there really that many people who won't ever buy a switch until it's much smaller? It would surely make more sense for Nintendo to keep the current form factor and joy-cons but cut the price and improve the battery as technology allows, etc. But yeah, you never know with Nintendo...