• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its finally dying thank god!
Love mine but yeah 3ds is really getting dated now. I prefer the focus on switch etc.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Era's collective hatred of the 3DS is one of those things I can't avoid laughing at, it feels like stealth console wars in a way.

I loved the 3DS for the first couple of years, with 2013 being the highlight (Fire Emblem: Awakening, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Phoenix Wright — Dual Destinies, Pokémon X & Y and SteamWorld Dig) however, from 2014 onwards when the Wii U, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One were all on the shelves, I found myself wanting 'more' than what the 3DS was capable of.

I imagine most of the frustrations stems towards the 'late' games such as Luigi's Mansion, Metroid: Samus Returns, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story and WarioWare Gold not being on the Switch instead — I didn't buy any of those, but I would have positively pondered about playing them had a Switch version existed.

This is just 'one persons point of view', but I guess the feeling is mutual with a lot of folks.

To me it always felt like salty Vita owners jumping in.

Nah, the vast majority are Switch owners, and I say this as a Switch, 3DS and PS Vita owner!

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
the 3ds is great but its big feature (uh, the 3d) never ever mattered to me. it has a lot of great games and in fact between warioware, smt strange journey redux and replaying 3d land i have been using it more lately than in a long time, since i was playing ever oasis and monster hunter stories and samus returns

i think people just want unification and not having to compromise titles for being on mobile anymore, like making sure animal crossing and pokemon are as big and feature rich as they could theoretically be

that being said, i guess im not too tired of it, if they made a new portable line instead of just hanging everything on the switch i personally wouldnt be too disappointed. and i could see getting a couple more years of use out of the hardware

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The last portable Nintendo console. Long live the King.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
The little non-HD handheld that could in an era of flaming OLED Smathphones and Vitas. Vita already discontinued in certain regions while the 3DS still keeps pumping, but glad it's finally passing out.

ekurisona

Jan 10, 2018
what happens if switch begins decline in a couple of years and they have no other major revenue stream?

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
TIL there are people who hate the 3DS :/

It has folders and home screen themes and it's more portable with longer battery life than the Switch. Not to mention I have a lot of DS and 3DS games that I would hate to leave behind.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It has folders and home screen themes and it's more portable with longer battery life than the Switch. Not to mention I have a lot of DS and 3DS games that I would hate to leave behind.
No one hates, it is just everyone is ready to move on. Switch deserves 100% of Nintendos undivided support.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

1) you dont have to sell your 3DS bro

2) the 3DS absolutely does not have a better battery than Switch in my use, especially in sleep mode where the 3DS is total garbage. The screen is awful, the form factor is uncomfortable, the circle pad sucks, the c-nub sucks, the shoulder buttons suck. The OS is slow as molasses.

It would be one thing if they still made stereoscopic games but they don't even do that anymore.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
No one hates, it is just everyone is ready to move on. Switch deserves 100% of Nintendos undivided support.
1) you dont have to sell your 3DS bro

2) the 3DS absolutely does not have a better battery than Switch in my use, especially in sleep mode where the 3DS is total garbage. The screen is awful, the form factor is uncomfortable, the circle pad sucks, the c-nub sucks, the shoulder buttons suck. The OS is slow as molasses.

It would be one thing if they still made stereoscopic games but they don't even do that anymore.

Those comments about "garbage hardware" and "garbage library" sure sound like hate. And being mainly a PC gamer I have to laugh at those complaining about the HW, the 3DS function is not to be a powerhpuse and for what I bought it for it works beautifully.

I have never been able to get more than a 3h, maybe 3:30h of continuouy play time out of the Switch, meanwhile i did 6h plus marathons on the 3DS with no issues. And all those conventions with Street Pass enabled, playing it for 2h waiting in lines, the 3DS never had to be charged unil the end of the day.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, what could? The 3DS was a weak follow up to what basically was a cultural phenomenon. I maintain that both 3DS and WiiU should have been released as DS Pro and WIi HD to pad out the lifetime of those consoles a bit. Because as full on follow up consoles they both were insanely lacking. (3DS not as much as WiiU to be sure)

Ditching the USP of the switch is such a bad idea I am constantly flabbergasted to see it floated around seriously.
A Switch Mini makes literally no sense.

The current Switch looks comically large in my wife's hands. I can see a market for it.

Folks wishing for the 3DS to "die" will never stop being hilarious.

Stay salty my friends.

Considering that this is the best evidence yet of it dying, this is kinda an odd thread for that opinion.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

+Streetpass
+Miiverse (When that was a thing)
+Autostereoscopic Display
+Badge Arcade
(+Other Stuff I'm Forgetting)

The Switch is a fine platform with some great games but it has a long way to go to meet the feature set of the 3DS.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those comments about "garbage hardware" and "garbage library" sure sound like hate. And being mainly a PC gamer I have to laugh at those complaining about the HW, the 3DS function is not to be a powerhpuse and for what I bought it for it works beautifully.

I have never been able to get more than a 3h, maybe 3:30h of continuouy play time out of the Switch, meanwhile i did 6h plus marathons on the 3DS with no issues. And all those conventions with Street Pass enabled, playing it for 2h waiting in lines, the 3DS never had to be charged unil the end of the day.
I said nothing of garbage software but the hardware really is shit. I've hated it since the first model and it never got good enough over any revision.

Meanwhile, my OLED Vita still feels like modern tech.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
WTF is Nintendo even thinking some times. If they were going to keep pushing the 3DS they could have done a new revision with IPS screens and/or a Gameboy cartridge slot with full backwards compatibility. I would have easily dropped $250 on something like that.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's about dang time. System had a good little life, it's time to focus it all on the Switch

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will contribute to that 2,6 million. Over the last month i bought 18 3DS games without owning the console. Such a great time to start a 3DS collection. Hopefully there will be more new titles.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So many DS games I still want to play. My 3DS system won't be retired for a long time.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the biggest failure at trying to keep at legacy system going from Nintendo. The DS performed well even with the 3DS release when they were close to the same price. The lower price could not save the 3DS. Pretty much all their game attempts last year failed

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Really feel like its my "forever machine"

It just has so much shit on it I love and things from 10 years ago I see and forget I had. The thing is a Zelda, SNES, Pokemon, DS, ATLUS, Sega Genesis juggernaut. Love it to bits.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

My feelings towards 3DS is close to hate really yeah. It almost killed my interest in gaming as a mainly handheld Nintendo gamer. Graphics outdated day one, awful ergonomics, clunky UI, and a push towards 3D games, which didn't fit the hardware at all. It had it's moments but the only games I could tolerate playing was the Ace Attorney ones really.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
There's tons of games I just can't go back and play on the thing unfortunately, I never finished Kirby Robobot and a few other things I'm sure plus a bunch of stuff I never even started like Indies and such. I'll go back eventually like I did with a lot of DS games and such, on the plus side I've been letting my son and daughter take turns on it and they can almost drive well in Mario Kart 7.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Nintendo reduces annual forecast for 3DS by 1.4 million units, but they decreased the Switch annual forecast by a whopping 3 million units. Obviously Nintendo should send the SWITCH out to die. Don't @ me with percentages because everyone knows they have a liberal bias!! Long live the 3DS!

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think Nintendo has any sort of plans to release a Switch with the branding it has to be unable to "Switch"

More efficient battery and smaller processing node to improve power consumption with the benefit of increased performance seems more likely, but designing it in a fashion to make it incompatible with it's existing accessories just doesn't make sense.

People are pushing the Switch being a handheld, and Nintendo has released remodeled versions of their handhelds, but the Switch's main gimmick is that it also equally acts as a home console as well, so removing that identity in the unique concept and that established in its branding which gave it's outstanding success thus far. I think the key here is some folks are treating the Switch as simply JUST a handheld. I think the key is Nintendo is providing the choice for the system to be both.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
3DS it will die soon, and that smaller and cheaper Switch Mini revision totally make sense now, it will be new low entry price point (at $200 for start) for Nintendo instead of 3DS.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
There's no doubt that's the case going forward, the stuff coming out last year had been in the pipeline for awhile most likely and was there to help in case the Switch couldn't handle the load. It has handled it swimmingly though and it's clear the market just isn't there for new software for the 3DS. This year is going to be very interesting with a fully focused on one platform Nintendo, it's not been the case since the NES and Gameboy existed together(and then SNES soon after). You could say they have Mobile too but that will never be a focus for Nintendo.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Can they drop the damn price on these already?
Thats probably why it sold like shit.
I don't want to pay $150 for a 2DS XL. Drop it to $100 and it would've done well at least on Black Friday.
Also nobody wants that ugly $80 brick
I don't think Nintendo has any sort of plans to release a Switch with the branding it has to be unable to "Switch"

More efficient battery and smaller processing node to improve power consumption with the benefit of increased performance seems more likely, but designing it in a fashion to make it incompatible with it's existing accessories just doesn't make sense.

People are pushing the Switch being a handheld, and Nintendo has released remodeled versions of their handhelds, but the Switch's main gimmick is that it also equally acts as a home console as well, so removing that identity in the unique concept and that established in its branding which gave it's outstanding success thus far. I think the key here is some folks are treating the Switch as simply JUST a handheld. I think the key is Nintendo is providing the choice for the system to be both.
I can see them redesigning the dock.
I don't think anyone is that attached to the dock unless it's one of the LE ones.
Break compatibility with joy cons or not able to play on TV is a no no

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, the problem with the Switch or even a smaller Switch being a 3DS replacement is a lot of the games just aren't meant to be played so small. At least 3DS could design for its screen size and stay fairly consistent.
I'm not sure how they're going to fill this void.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up a New 2DS XL a few months ago to act as my "forever" version of the hardware, and I strongly recommend it to anyone who still has 3DS games floating around in their backlog.
I have way too many 3DS variations already, but need to pick up a 2DS XL and am considering the OG 2DS too.
Oh, also from the numbers we can conclude that Nintendo has effectively discontinued the 3DS line worldwide. Only the 2DS (old and XL) lines remain.
I feel like the n3DS and n3DS XL disappeared from shelves ages ago. It's been very difficult to buy them new for a while now.