• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
CTtV1Fa.png

Software sales forecast was also decreased from 16 million to 13 million.

Hardware sales of Nintendo 3DS, now in its 8th year since launch, were 2.31 million units sold (60.5% decrease on a year-on-year basis), while 11.08 million software units were sold (64.5% decrease on a year-on-year basis).

Seeing these numbers, it wouldn't surprise me for Nintendo to discontinue the system or at least stop publishing 3DS games as soon as the next FY.

Last edited:

rude

Oct 25, 2017
It was a bad console outside of giving me some good Atlus games. It really didn't compare to the DS imo.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best news out of this earnings call

This should make Nintendo forget about this pos hardware too

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Don't get everyone's hopes up now, lol.
Well this time in the financial forecast section they don't even mention new 3DS games, only supporting evergreens. "For Nintendo 3DS, we will continue to leverage the platform's rich software library and its hardware install base to further expand sales of evergreen titles."

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
A shame the original Luigi's Mansion was ported there instead of the Switch.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
3DS was outdated in 2011. God so many great games wasted on this piece of shit of a machine.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
It was a bad console outside of giving me some good Atlus games. It really didn't compare to the DS imo.

Look, I want it to die now too, but that's the opposite for me. This was the best handheld at the time. After the launch misfire of casual games they pivoted heavily to 'core' games and we got like... some of the best Mario and Zelda games ever released EXCLUSively for the 3DS. In addition to all the most interesting nintendo franchises, rpgs, mon hun etc etc

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Kill the 3DS and replace it with a "Lite Switch" that is smaller, handheld only and power friendly.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I wish Nintendo offered a way to play 3DS and DS games on Switch through an attachment or something, #%^^ my 3DS and DS library is huge and would look awesome on 720p undocked, rathet than 120p on 3DS (yes I'm exaggerating, or am I?? [face_thinking]

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
Oct 26, 2017
Well all of the public interest for the system has more or less evaporated so it makes sense that its sales will only fall even further off of a cliff. I got a ton out of it so I'm happy to see that it lasted this long

Doesn't seem that salty, most people are happy about this.
That's probably what he's referring to

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up a New 2DS XL a few months ago to act as my "forever" version of the hardware, and I strongly recommend it to anyone who still has 3DS games floating around in their backlog.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how bad they whiffed on continuing software support for this thing after the Switch launch.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It still has some life left into it but it's not properly marketed right now. They need to drop the price, add all first party games to Nintendo Selects, and promote its multimedia capabilities. Right now the hardware and software are too expensive for what you get.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Those software numbers are atrocious.
RIP 3DS it was a good run while it lasted

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great console that gave me many happiness and it had a pretty good run but it's time to die warrior.

I doubt we'll see any Nintendo fp title for 2019 and beyond.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Nintendo kept overestimating 3DS up to the last minute. 3DS is dead. I'll miss it and I'll miss dual screen gaming despite everything.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, also from the numbers we can conclude that Nintendo has effectively discontinued the 3DS line worldwide. Only the 2DS (old and XL) lines remain.

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo kept overestimating 3DS up to the last minute. 3DS is dead. I'll miss it and I'll miss dual screen gaming despite everything.
That's the biggest thing I'll miss from it. Those dual screens were so convenient for so many games on the system that I kind of don't wanna play some games without them, like the Ace Attorney games

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It still has some life left into it but it's not properly marketed right now. They need to drop the price, add all first party games to Nintendo Selects, and promote its multimedia capabilities. Right now the hardware and software are too expensive for what you get.

Haha multimedia capabilities on 3ds?

A 30$ android device bought at a diner has better media capabilites than 3ds

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
A toast to Mario Kart 7. Still selling to this day. Should end up being an under 5 million drop from MKDS. Not bad considering the hardware discrepancy.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The 3DS was a great system that ended up offering a stronger collection of games even if the Nintendo lineup was atrocious (just like the DS). This is pretty much the graal of JRPGs

Kucan

Nov 4, 2017
Not sure why people keep believing that now the 3DS is almost dead Nintendo will have a Switch version that can't use the Joycons or that a Switch Mini is even doable right now, it gets hot enough as is and the battery life isn't great despite it taking over a fifth of the insides already.

A Switch set-top box is far more feasible, if you can strip the Switch down to just it's processing and cooling, you can make it a lot cheaper, maybe even spring for a better Bluetooth chip in it and support wireless headphones and an extended Joycon range.

Not that I believe that's happening anytime soon.