• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Glad I'm not the only one seeing this; sales haven't even begun to taper off yet with an increase of sales this quarter YoY. Generally, it seems to go up/down with Switch sales, which makes sense. Somewhat more surprising to me is BotW putting up the same numbers this Q1 as last Q1; I know it's become synonymous with the Switch, but it's still crazy to see a Zelda game do this.

I also didn't realize that SMP may as well be over performing to the same extent that BotW is; SMP hasn't passed its series record, let alone double it, but Zelda didn't benefit all that much from the massive Wii/DS install base like MP did. Comparing SMP to MP 1-7 is mind boggling; the Switch hardware numbers at this point in time are only 12% higher than the N64, yet SMP is over double what Mario Party was doing then. I wonder if sequels will be able to do comparable numbers like they used to.
Yeah, people tend to write off Mario kart because of how absurdly well the Wii one sold, and assume nothing can touch it - but looking at the trends over time, it actually has a shot.

Switch is a monster with software.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Agreed on MK8D.

NSW & Evergreens Quarterly Shipments

OxNLt2x.png

BOTW (NSW) has sold more in calendar 2018/19 than in 2017. Impressive longevity - should be >16M by the end of the calendar year (Q2 1M / Q3 1.5M) and ~17M by end of FY (Q4 >1M). 20M on Switch alone looks on target by holiday 2020 (presumably when BOTW releases). Combined with the Wii U version, it has outsold all 3D Mario games and is only behind the combined total of SM64 + SM64DS (~23M), which it may approach in the end.

MK8D despite a slower start than MKWii is out-legging it (easy to compare launch-aligned as they both released in April). In its 9th quarter, MK8D shipped 1,200,000. Don't have 9th quarter figures for MKWii, but Quarter 9&10 combined it shipped 1,451,000 - MK8D might end up doubling that once we get Q2 results for this year. Quarter 7/8 for MKWii (Oct 09 - Mar 10) saw MKWii ship 4,190,000 compared to 4,980,000 for MK8D (Oct 18 - Mar 19). With Switch Lite around the corner, it does not look like momentum is going to stop for MK8D so it should continue to outperform MKWii on a quarterly shipment basis. It will cruise past 20M by the start of the holidays (maybe sooner with Switch Lite) and will be in the 30M ballpark by holiday 2020. Oh and it also sold 8.4M on the Wii U.

EDIT: MKWii's obvious advantage was its larger opening. It launched in the Wii's 18th month on the market and moved massive units in 2008 alone. MK8D launched in NSW's 2nd month on the market so initial sales of course had to be lower but its holding much better 2 years after launch in both absolute and relative terms.

Splatoon 2 will make its way to 10M sometime next year methinks. SMP will pick up huge during the holidays though presumably it won't see the same boost from Switch Lite as other titles due to the Joy-con problem.

Smash still chugging along - quarterly shipments are a bit low IMO probably due to the massive Q3 shipment. It'll pick back up in a huge way once Switch Lite gets out there - Smash 4 3DS was huge. I think it'll be peeking at 20M by the end of the calendar year.

Too little info for SMM2 - next few quarters will tell us where its headed.

Expect (sub) franchise-best openings and LTDs for FE/LA/LM3, but Pokemon will wipe out everything in like the last ~45 days of the year and be the biggest single-quarter shipment for a Switch title thus far (Smash at 12.08M).

TrainerRed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Snake Way
Nothing has really changed besides the addition of Super Mario Maker 2. October should be more interesting with the releases of the Switch Lite, FE3H, Awakening and some updated numbers for MK8, Ultimate and SMM2.

Updated as of July 2019.

TOP 3 GAMES PER CONSOLE
SRaFqth.png

Blue = Home Console ; Yellow = Handheld Console ; Green = Hybrid Console
Wii Sports had to be split in half since it was skewing the graph too much.

TOP3 GAMES PER FRANCHISE
eYisSb4.png

Titles marked with * lack official sales numbers

2D MARIO SALES
obK3zMW.png

3D MARIO SALES
OrNV2Xu.png

ANIMAL CROSSING SALES
DENPjxB.png

Blue = Home Console ; Yellow = Handheld Console

DONKEY KONG SALES
wWO9aWd.png

FIRE EMBLEM SALES
5QrpF0O.jpg

Only includes Western released titles

F-ZERO SALES
0bPM1xD.jpg

**F-Zero GX info source

KIRBY SALES
gi0rPWx.png

Blue = Handheld Console; Yellow = Home Console ; Green = Hybrid Console

LUIGI'S MANSION SALES
emKNjLe.png

MARIO KART SALES
gfW6Noz.png

MARIO PARTY SALES
Yvo9Wfr.png

*Super Mario Party also lacks official sales numbers

MARIO RPG SALES
i7yvEEE.jpg

Blue = Paper Mario ; Yellow = Mario & Luigi

MARIO TENNIS SALES
IoPqQjN.png

METROID SALES
EycYJ9r.jpg

PIKMIN SALES
mMMVsM9.jpg

POKEMON SALES
mOS5wG0.png

Blue = Original Version ; Yellow = Third Version ; Green = Remake

SMASH BROS SALES
0Sx62St.png

SPLATOON & ARMS SALES
V2kRf9o.png

Blue = Home Console ; Green = Hybrid Console
*ARMS should be Green

STAR FOX SALES
3b5mSbH.jpg

WARIO SALES
ZXK1BfD.jpg

Blue = Wario Land ; Yellow = Wario Ware

YOSHI SALES
1LSydWS.png

ZELDA SALES
bWevEBj.png

NINTENDO HARDWARE SALES
3lkgrgg.png

All graphs based on OP.

Thanks.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Agreed on MK8D.

OxNLt2x.png

BOTW (NSW) has sold more in calendar 2018/19 than in 2017. Impressive longevity - should be >16M by the end of the calendar year (Q2 1M / Q3 1.5M) and ~17M by end of FY (Q4 >1M). 20M on Switch alone looks on target by holiday 2020 (presumably when BOTW releases). Combined with the Wii U version, it has outsold all 3D Mario games and is only behind the combined total of SM64 + SM64DS (~23M), which it may approach in the end.

MK8D despite a slower start than MKWii is out-legging it (easy to compare launch-aligned as they both released in April). In its 9th quarter, MK8D shipped 1,200,000. Don't have 9th quarter figures for MKWii, but Quarter 9&10 combined it shipped 1,451,000 - MK8D might end up doubling that once we get Q2 results for this year. Quarter 7/8 for MKWii (Oct 09 - Mar 10) saw MKWii ship 4,190,000 compared to 4,980,000 for MK8D (Oct 18 - Mar 19). With Switch Lite around the corner, it does not look like momentum is going to stop for MK8D so it should continue to outperform MKWii on a quarterly shipment basis. It will cruise past 20M by the start of the holidays (maybe sooner with Switch Lite) and will be in the 30M ballpark by holiday 2020. Oh and it also sold 8.4M on the Wii U.

EDIT: MKWii's obvious advantage was its larger opening. It launched in the Wii's 18th month on the market and moved massive units in 2008 alone. MK8D launched in NSW's 2nd month on the market so initial sales of course had to be lower but its holding much better 2 years after launch in both absolute and relative terms.

Splatoon 2 will make its way to 10M sometime next year methinks. SMP will pick up huge during the holidays though presumably it won't see the same boost from Switch Lite as other titles due to the Joy-con problem.

Smash still chugging along - quarterly shipments are a bit low IMO probably due to the massive Q3 shipment. It'll pick back up in a huge way once Switch Lite gets out there - Smash 4 3DS was huge. I think it'll be peeking at 20M by the end of the calendar year.

Expect (sub) franchise-best openings and LTDs for FE/LA/LM3, but Pokemon will wipe out everything in like the last ~45 days of the year and be the biggest single-quarter shipment for a Switch title thus far (Smash at 12.08M).

Thank you for providing this. My only suggestion would be maybe changing the attach rate columns (which don't mean much unless you are looking at the Total) for YTD numbers (so we could have a better idea on the legs of the games). This might highlight other interesting trends, such as your BotW observation.

From this list of games I expect Mario Tennis Aces and Pokemon Let's Go to be replaced with some of the new releases. Pokemon should be dwarfed once Sword & Shield and I think the shipment numbers will drop significantly when it does. Aces is obviously a tier below Party and Kart and probably won't have such long legs.

I'm still a bit surprised about the legs on Mario Odyssey being a step lower than Zelda. Equally curious abot SMM2 though, I expect it to reach 15m+ comfortably but time will tell.

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed on MK8D.

I expect NSMBUDX to end up > 10M.
It's an unassuming game but the appeal of sidescrolling Super Mario Bros to the casuals shouldn't be underestimated.
With the coming hardware boost in the next two quarters and holiday season NSMBUDX will enjoy a nice jump in sales.
In general it will enjoy prolonged sales over the whole Switch life cycle (and will eventually be bundled).

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Oh and for those that enjoy some little milestones:
3DS this past quarter overtake the total software sales of the SNES while it had done the same not long ago compared to the GBA.
Now 3DS total software sales are the 5th best behind (in order) DS, Wii, Game Boy, NES.

The analysis on the first-party sales are, as always useful, to understand how such sales were obtained.
On 3DS first-party software accounted for about 51% of the total software sales.
On SNES first-party software accounted for about 24% of the total software sales.
On GBA first-party software accounted for about 24% of the total software sales.

In a way one could say that GBA and SNES were "black sheep" consoles for a first-party driven console manufacturer like Nintendo.
In actuality the reasoning is more complex and especially the SNES was an important step because it is where Nintendo started to cement their software philosophy which is a fundamental pillar of their business strategy.

Last edited:

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
It's a damn shame we haven't gotten official numbers for Samus Returns. I'm very curious as to how it performed.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I wish they could have updated sales data for games like Yoshi CW or Kirby SA...We already know evergreen titles are selling. I am more curious about smaller titles. When can we expect more broad updated sales ?

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I cannot guarantee a frequency for broad updates.
Certainly the next one for NSW software won't be earlier than October 2020.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Looking at the updated list on the OP, switch looks... kinda bad in certain ways??

.- low-ish tie ratio, meaning people not buying a ton of software
.- super high 1st party SW/HW ratio, meaning people don't care much for games not made by nintendo

or am I reading this wrong?

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Looking at the updated list on the OP, switch looks... kinda bad in certain ways??

.- super high 1st party SW/HW ratio, meaning people don't care much for games not made by nintendo

The Switch is a new platform, it has a great tie ratio for a console this new. The majority of Switches are less than a year old, people have not had enough time to buy lots of games. Tie ratios grow over the life of a platform, and very fast selling platforms have the tie ratio temporarily suppressed by there being so many new owners.

As for the first party ratio, it's basically because third parties have only released second tier stuff on the platform. Mortal Kombat was the first ever day and date feature complete major third party game. What's the biggest exclusive? Octopath maybe? Otherwise it's treated a late port machine at best.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Man it's crazy how Steady the decline of their home systems was sans the Wii

NES>SNES>N64>GameCube<<<<<Wii<<<<<<WiiU then they just said "screw it make it all handheld"

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
Wii really has a very high software attach ratio.. O_O people bought a lot of games on that system

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

The tie ratio increases greatly over a console's lifetime. So you're comparing an early tie ratio to final ones from other consoles.

FP ratio is always high, but Nintendo's Switch games overperforming on Switch isn't a bad thing, that doesn't mean third parties are selling poorly at all. Also the total software sales numbers do not include digital only titles, which are almost exclusively third party.

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017

Tie ratio of active consoles grow with time (NSW final tie ratio will be far above 5.70).

Nintendo is in the unique position of being the only first-party driven console maker in the market.
High first-party software sales compared the total software sales on Nintendo consoles were always the norm (almost always > 30%).
In recent years this percentage shot up because of the consolidation in the industry:
Big publishers release a small number of big production games that sell a lot and target only higher spec consoles (PS, XBox) meanwhile smaller scale games were sized up by indie publishers/developers and are finding great success on Switch.
However digital only games aren't counted in the total software sales statistic.

Man it's crazy how Steady the decline of their home systems was sans the Wii

NES>SNES>N64>GameCube<<<<<Wii<<<<<<WiiU then they just said "screw it make it all handheld"
Switch isn't performing like an handheld console.
For instance the above mentioned tie ratio is a clue.

Last edited:

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
it did well, do have the regional sales numbers that imply enough to know that. (did very well in Spain)
All I could find is this thread for SR:
Where it did 7.2k. I think that's just kind of okay, though I don't know how past Metroid titles did in Spain, and the 3ds was well into decline. I don't really know how to extrapolate from that.

There may be other numbers I missed though.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
All I could find is this thread for SR:
Where it did 7.2k. I think that's just kind of okay, though I don't know how past Metroid titles did in Spain, and the 3ds was well into decline. I don't really know how to extrapolate from that.

There may be other numbers I missed though.

Here's some more data plus context for ya.

While we don't have any all-encompassing total, MSR did well all things considered.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Fascinating. The Wii U's total sales just add to my wonder about what Nintendo was trying to do with that system and if, for them, it served that purpose.

Matterhorn

Feb 6, 2019
United States
Fascinating. The Wii U's total sales just add to my wonder about what Nintendo was trying to do with that system and if, for them, it served that purpose.
I think it was the necessary hardware iteration - and failure - needed to make the Switch as successful as it was. Most people's favorite Wii U feature was off-TV play. Nintendo ran with that and it has worked out extremely well.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Man it really highlights what an abject failure Skyward Sword was. Main installment in Nintendo's second biggest franchise, critically acclaimed, and couldn't even crack 4 million sales on a platform that had over 100 million install base at that point. Twilight Princess sold twice as much as a launch game.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
I think it was the necessary hardware iteration - and failure - needed to make the Switch as successful as it was. Most people's favorite Wii U feature was off-TV play. Nintendo ran with that and it has worked out extremely well.

Yeah, that's kind of my suspicion as well. On the face of it, Wii U would look to have been a total failure, but from the very outset I had this feeling that it was a temporary thing Nintendo threw out there to satiate its fanbase until they were done with the next actual console iteration.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Wow, thanks a ton for all those links!

So the game did do pretty well in the places we know of, huh. Did pretty good on US and (surprisingly) japan, and Ok in most European charts. That last link puts it well; it didn't break any records for the series by any means, but nonetheless proved to be a modestly successful title. I do wonder just how close it got to 1 million.

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
What are the sw and hw numbers of the DS and WII after the same timeframe as the switch?

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017

The switch will easily obliterate the highest Nintendo tie ratio. Unfortunately we will never get the true tie ratio because digital only and free to play games are not counted. Now some of those games people obviously never spend money on for F2P and many of the download only games are sub $1 but I imagine that easily have 100 million+ if you combine the F2P and all the digital only titles. Nintendo showed a graph of the average amount of money spent per switch on games and I think it was like 20-30% higher than previous consoles for Nintendo so they are definitely in a good spot

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Man it really highlights what an abject failure Skyward Sword was. Main installment in Nintendo's second biggest franchise, critically acclaimed, and couldn't even crack 4 million sales on a platform that had over 100 million install base at that point. Twilight Princess sold twice as much as a launch game.

It was also released in Q4 2011 - which was when many consumers long aborted support for the system.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Wii really has a very high software attach ratio.. O_O people bought a lot of games on that system
It makes the frequent downplaying of the Wii (it was bought by Grandmas who only played Wii Sports / owners played Wii Fit for a few weeks and then the Wii gathered dust) even more absurd when you look at the actual figures.
We'll never know... but I think even if the Wii U had been a massive success worldwide that the Switch would have still released exactly as it is today.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Agreed on MK8D.

OxNLt2x.png

Few more observations.

MK8D Japan shipments YoY are flat - so its up 7% everywhere else. We don't have shipment figures for BOTW, but we know retail sales are down YoY from Q1 last year in JP (Per Famitsu: FY18 Q1 - 150K vs. FY19 Q1 - 73K) so shipped to Americas/Europe/ROTW are likely also up from last year (possibly more than MK8D's 7%). Good sign for both going into a period where a lot of HW is going to be moved. Should be interesting to note how the attach rates hold up (accounting for expected ageing/decay) once the Lite model becomes available.

I expect NSMBUDX to end up > 10M.
It's an unassuming game but the appeal of sidescrolling Super Mario Bros to the casuals shouldn't be underestimated.
With the coming hardware boost in the next two quarters and holiday season NSMBUDX will enjoy a nice jump in sales.
In general it will enjoy prolonged sales over the whole Switch life cycle (and will eventually be bundled).

Yeah, had NSMBUD on there but forgot to unhide it. Will get hide of MTA and others as time goes on.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It makes the frequent downplaying of the Wii (it was bought by Grandmas who only played Wii Sports / owners played Wii Fit for a few weeks and then the Wii gathered dust) even more absurd when you look at the actual figures.
Always frustrating when press/media discusses the commercial successes and failures on fan hot-take levels instead of actually looking at numbers like these or looking them up at official sources. I'm always surprised when I listen to podcasts and one of the hosts actually happens to know for example that Luigi's Mansion 2 wasn't a below the radar/nobody bought it release but actually a heavy weight long-term seller. That's on a similar level to Wii's surprisingly high software attach rate when everyone only bought Mario Kart and NSMB and spend the rest of their days bowling and playing Guitar Hero/Carnival Games. Among other things. Not that hard. :)

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Did we ever get shipment numbers or PR for any of the following Switch titles:

Fire Emblem Warriors:
Hyrule Warriors:
Labo 02
Sushi Strikers
Labo 03
XC2:Torna
Labo 04

I remember Tecmo announced in april 2018 they shipped 1M units of FEW but that was for both NSW and 3DS. I also remember that Labo 01 and Labo 02 Had a million sales between them at some point.

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I've updated the data in the OP for the 3DS, WiiU and NSW games as December 2018 for those games who had an earlier update date.
Basically lower selling 3DS million sellers, lower selling WiiU million sellers (just a few 1Ks cause it's dead as a platform) and ARMS on Switch.
Yo-Kai Watch 1 and 2 have shipped more than 1M units outside Japan (Nintendo was the publisher outside Japan).

Big thanks to hiska-kun

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I've updated the data in the OP for the 3DS, WiiU and NSW games as December 2018 for those games who had an earlier update date.
Basically lower selling 3DS million sellers, lower selling WiiU million sellers (just a few 1Ks cause it's dead as a platform) and ARMS on Switch.
Yo-Kai Watch 1 and 2 have shipped more than 1M units outside Japan (Nintendo was the publisher outside Japan).

Big thanks to hiska-kun
Is Twilight Princess HD new in the list? I don't remember it being there. Whether I forgot it being there already or not, nice to know it did also ship a million and isn't that far off from WWHD.