• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I've updated the data in the OP for the 3DS, WiiU and NSW games as December 2018 for those games who had an earlier update date.
Basically lower selling 3DS million sellers, lower selling WiiU million sellers (just a few 1Ks cause it's dead as a platform) and ARMS on Switch.
Yo-Kai Watch 1 and 2 have shipped more than 1M units outside Japan (Nintendo was the publisher outside Japan).

Big thanks to hiska-kun

Why is Pokken's data from March 31st 2018 and not December 31st 2018? I'm still unsure about what kind of data Nintendo offers.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Xenoblade 2 can also be update for year 2018 with 1,65m shipped.
In September 2018 it was 1,53m, so that last quarter (Oct-Dec) shipped an extra 120k.
March 2019 numbers were known as 1,73m (extra 80k from Jan-Mar).

I know this list shows the latest numbers, just wanted to point the quarter shipments.

Last edited:

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
The games sales in OP include digital sales if the original release had a digital version.
Digital re-releases sales aren't counted.

Re-visiting this now with the FFVII numbers that SE just threw out.

So of course, we don't really have an idea of the magnitude but the VC releases must add a significant amount of unreported sales for the classic NES/SNES/N64 titles. That's an install base of ~190M that had exposure to buy this stuff (albeit libraries were not uniform).

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Great!

Zelda franchise moves past 100M reported shipped units mark. VC sales and other tie-ins/spin-offs excluded, with those (OOT MQ, VC downloads, HW & CoH, CDi, etc.) it must have passed 100M quite some time ago.

PqRXFol.png

Consolidating available data of remasters/remakes/ports:

UB5EyF9.png

3D titles based on the above are at 56.43 million across 12 releases / 6 titles (4 ports/remakes and 2 cross-gen releases).

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Poor Link's Crossbow, he is always forgotten due to be named after the hero instead of the hero's love interest :-)

Re-visiting this now with the FFVII numbers that SE just threw out.

So of course, we don't really have an idea of the magnitude but the VC releases must add a significant amount of unreported sales for the classic NES/SNES/N64 titles. That's an install base of ~190M that had exposure to buy this stuff (albeit libraries were not uniform).
It obviously add up.
However it is a bit naive to add up the original $90 carts to digital items downloaded through VC sold for a few bucks or the roms included in the mini consoles, you'd basically add apples with oranges though they are the same games.
It's the same reason why Nintendo when announce the total software sales for its consoles only consider games which had a physical release (otherwise you'd risk to put on the same plate a $60 game with a game sold for cents).

Last edited:

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Poor Link's Crossbow, he is always forgotten due to be named after the hero instead of the hero's love interest :-)

LOL whoops.

It obviously add up.
However it is a bit naive to add up the original $90 carts to digital items downloaded through VC sold for a few bucks or the roms included in the mini consoles, you'd basically add apples with oranges though they are the same games.
It's the same reason why Nintendo when announce the total software sales for its consoles only consider games which had a physical release (otherwise you'd risk to put on the same plate a $60 game with a game sold for cents).

I agree and I appreciate Nintendo's conservative/grounded reporting methodology, as well as the consistency of their transparency.

I have little doubt that other Pubs OTOH use every advantage they can when reporting sales figures.

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
So I've checked and compared the shipment sales data for Nintendo games between 3DS and NSW in Japan launch aligned (September 2019 for NSW, September 2013) to understand if NSW first-party games are lifting above the total software sales.
In fact NSW total software sales edge out 3DS total software sales launch aligned despite 3DS selling about 3 million more HW (and high selling third-party games are fewer on NSW compared 3DS).

3DS in Japan as September 2013:
HW: 13.33M
SW: 44.84M
First-party software sales* / total software sales: about 36%

Yp2Fw3v.jpg

NSW in Japan as September 2019:
HW: 10.00M
SW: 44.93M
First-party software sales* / total software sales: about 53%

OO0S0vr.jpg

* Data is incomplete.

Last edited:

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
So I've checked and compared the shipment sales data for Nintendo games between 3DS and NSW in Japan launch aligned (September 2019 for NSW, September 2013) to understand if NSW first-party games are lifting above the total software sales.
In fact NSW total software sales edge out 3DS total software sales launch aligned despite 3DS selling about 3 million more HW (and high selling third-party games are fewer on NSW compared 3DS).

3DS in Japan as September 2013:
HW: 13.33M
SW: 44.84M
First-party software sales* / total software sales: about 36%

Yp2Fw3v.jpg

NSW in Japan as September 2013:
HW: 10.00M
SW: 44.93M
First-party software sales* / total software sales: about 53%

OO0S0vr.jpg

* Data is incomplete.

Wait, did the sales number for Xenoblade 2 get updated after March 2019? It was at 1.73 million shipped at the time. I'm wondering how the 310k data factors into the total number.

Unbura

Dec 23, 2018
question Celine
what about F-Zero GX?
Yakuza_Director_on_F-Zero_GX_sales.PNG

Nagoshi stated last year that GX did break a million and sold exactly 1.5 million, outselling X and MV, which is pretty amazing.

GX is a title owned, produced, and published by Nintendo with SEGA developing it.

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
question Celine
what about F-Zero GX?
Yakuza_Director_on_F-Zero_GX_sales.PNG

Nagoshi stated last year that GX did break a million and sold exactly 1.5 million, outselling X and MV, which is pretty amazing.

GX is a title owned, produced, and published by Nintendo with SEGA developing it.
F-Zero GX isn't included in the million seller list from my source.
My source get shipment data directly from Nintendo therefore F-Zero GX hasn't cross 1M or there was a miscommunication error 15 years ago.

Unbura

Dec 23, 2018
F-Zero GX isn't included in the million seller list from my source.
My source get shipment data directly from Nintendo therefore F-Zero GX hasn't cross 1M or there was a miscommunication error 15 years ago.
well shoot
that's a shame

i'm also going to assume only SEGA accounted the sales but Nintendo didn't bother doing so either. :\

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
So before the end of the Switch life, Nintendo would have probably sold 2 billion games.

Does the current figure only count million-sellers Celine ?

Jun 10, 2018
Tie ratio of active consoles grow with time (NSW final tie ratio will be far above 5.70).

Nintendo is in the unique position of being the only first-party driven console maker in the market.
High first-party software sales compared the total software sales on Nintendo consoles were always the norm (almost always > 30%).
In recent years this percentage shot up because of the consolidation in the industry:
Big publishers release a small number of big production games that sell a lot and target only higher spec consoles (PS, XBox) meanwhile smaller scale games were sized up by indie publishers/developers and are finding great success on Switch.
However digital only games aren't counted in the total software sales statistic.

Switch isn't performing like an handheld console.
For instance the above mentioned tie ratio is a clue.
It isn't performing like a Nintendo home console either. The handheld hybrid "home" console bucking 30+ years of a sales trend is clue to that.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
VGC just updated BOTW Wii U to 1.67M. The thread that notes it said updates were based on 2019 CESA White Paper for 2018 LTD shipments.

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
VGC just updated BOTW Wii U to 1.67M. The thread that notes it said updates were based on 2019 CESA White Paper for 2018 LTD shipments.
That's correct, I must have read the 7 as a 1 back then when I've updated the charts.
I will update the WiiU chart sometime in the future.

EDIT:
Actually the mistake is not on my end.

Last edited:

ZaddyMattty

Dec 4, 2017
New York City
It would be great to also list games Nintendo published on each system but no sale numbers are available. I was curious to see how Xenoblade did on the 3DS and smaller titles like Shushi Strikers

ZaddyMattty

Dec 4, 2017
New York City
so good news, all the games you don't see on those lists, they didn't reach a million :)

So tell me, smart one, what games does that include? The point being it would take a tremendous amount of energy and undermines the purpose of this thread. I was under the impression it was to discuss hardware and software sales rather than to discuss million-seller software exclusively.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So tell me, smart one, what games does that include? The point being it would take a tremendous amount of energy and undermines the purpose of this thread. I was under the impression it was to discuss hardware and software sales rather than to discuss million-seller software exclusively.
I'm confused what you actually want to see now. If you want to see a list of all Nintendo-published games, there's wiki pages for that info. And then we have established that there is no publicly available sales data for NInetndo-published titles that did not cross the million shipped units mark. So literally all the games you find on the "everything" list minus the games you find listed here is what you have in terms of games below 1 million units shipped. And we know nothing beyond that (aside from limited regional sales data, for which you can look at the media create threads to at least get Japanese data).

I'd like to point out that the thread opens with this note from Celine:

Note:
It's shipment data provided by Nintendo itself directly from Nintendo's Public Relationship department, Nintendo official site or other reports which used Nintendo's shipment data.
If you need a specific reference of the source for a game please PM me.
Only games published by Nintendo which shipped more than 1 million are presented.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Celine Apologies for the tag, but I'd like to clarify something if the information is available.

You said before that Fire Emblem: Fates' sales total counted all the routes separately—like Pokemon—but is that only counting initial/base purchases? Or is it also counting DLC purchases, since subsequent routes were available for $20 as DLC?

I ask because the chart also lists Revelation among the total, so it's creating a confused situation. Revelation isn't available as a standalone purchase—only as either DLC, or as part of the special edition three-in-one pack.

So would a special edition purchase be counted as 1 sale or 3? Basically: is Fates' listed total accurate or inflated?

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Celine Apologies for the tag, but I'd like to clarify something if the information is available.

You said before that Fire Emblem: Fates' sales total counted all the routes separately—like Pokemon—but is that only counting initial/base purchases? Or is it also counting DLC purchases, since subsequent routes were available for $20 as DLC?

I ask because the chart also lists Revelation among the total, so it's creating a confused situation. Revelation isn't available as a standalone purchase—only as either DLC, or as part of the special edition three-in-one pack.

So would a special edition purchase be counted as 1 sale or 3? Basically: is Fates' listed total accurate or inflated?
Should be the combined units sold (shipped) of the 3 episodes which form FE Fates.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
From Nintendo in October, we had this graph:

12345.PNG

Which seems to definitely state that Fates' total JP/NA/EU sell-through was less than Awakening—between 1.7m and 1.9m—and its legs were very poor comparatively.

I find it unfeasible that Fates' WW sell-through gains ~1m outside of the three biggest regions, which would be the only way to rationalize the OP's listed numbers for it.

The only explanation to my eyes is that the 2.94m figure includes DLC purchases, and therefore should not be taken seriously (and should be notated as such in the OP).

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I've updated in the data in OP with the data as December 2019 recently released by Nintendo.

Graphs about Nintendo franchises sales as December 2019

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
TOP 3 GAMES PER CONSOLE
AUIomqa.png

Blue = Home Console ; Yellow = Handheld Console ; Green = Hybrid Console
Wii Sports had to be split in half since it was skewing the graph too much.

TOP 3 GAMES PER FRANCHISE
aleqejC.png

Titles marked with * lack official sales numbers

2D MARIO SALES
yJn1vNo.png

A bit surprising how Mario Maker 2 did in comparison to NSMBUDX. I personally expected the game to take-off after the success of the original and the widespread popularity of the Switch, but it wasn't the case at all. Might be one of the franchises with the least growth factor from the WiiU > Switch transition (Mario, Zelda, Smash, Kart, Kirby, Party, Tennis all saw substantial increases in comparison). Game will probably still receive additional content in the form of free updates, but I think sales are probably capped around 8-9 million.

3D MARIO SALES
U0gpxnu.png

There are some rumours of a 3D World port and it's likely Nintendo is not too far from a Odyssey sequel either, so I will be interesting to see how far Odyssey will be able to go.

ANIMAL CROSSING SALES
DENPjxB.png

Blue = Home Console ; Yellow = Handheld Console

I'm expecting New Horizons to vastly outperform New Leaf when it's all said and done, but during the next Earnings Release there will be only 10 days of sales accounted for. Animal Crossing is the type of franchise with massive legs and with the planned updates & DLC the game should be selling until the Switch era is over.

DONKEY KONG SALES
wWO9aWd.png

FIRE EMBLEM SALES
tENOu5x.png

Only includes Western released titles

Three Houses will soon become the highest selling entry in the franchise, consolidating even more the status of Fire Emblem among Nintendo's portfolio.

F-ZERO SALES
ii9I8Y5.png

**F-Zero GX info source

KIRBY SALES
gi0rPWx.png

Blue = Handheld Console; Yellow = Home Console ; Green = Hybrid Console

LUIGI'S MANSION SALES
A1CdZ3v.png

Luigi's Mansion 3 has in my opinion been of the biggest surprises of last year. Dark Moon performed really well, but I wasn't expecting the latest entry to have such staying power in the charts. Game has been consistently charting in most regions since last year.

MARIO KART SALES
eK0we8n.png

No idea how Nintendo will handle this franchise this year. Deluxe is still selling incredibly well but at the same point it's likely they started working on Mario Kart 9 before all this success.

MARIO PARTY SALES
KXJqCdw.png

Another Switch game soon to be the highest selling entry in the franchise. I expected some kind of post-launch support but have the impression Nintendo has been working on a sequel.

MARIO RPG SALES
i7yvEEE.jpg

Blue = Paper Mario ; Yellow = Mario & Luigi

MARIO TENNIS SALES
IoPqQjN.png

METROID SALES
EycYJ9r.jpg

PIKMIN SALES
mMMVsM9.jpg

POKEMON SALES
B7qMtle.png

Blue = Original Version ; Yellow = Third Version ; Green = Remake

16m in 45 days is an insane number, even for a franchise such as Pokemon. Noteworthy how Sword & Shield was able to achieve this even at a significantly higher price. With the model-change from third game to DLC support, it's expected the game will have even higher legs than the previous entries. Wonder if the game will surpass Gold & Silver in the next couple years.

SMASH BROS SALES
HQWm8yN.png

SPLATOON & ARMS SALES
njUVWJ1.png

Blue = Home Console ; Green = Hybrid Console
*ARMS should be Green

STAR FOX SALES
3b5mSbH.jpg

WARIO SALES
ZXK1BfD.jpg

Blue = Wario Land ; Yellow = Wario Ware

YOSHI SALES
1LSydWS.png

ZELDA SALES
2KgOp1y.png

Of all the charts in this post, the Zelda one is the most noteworthy to me. The franchise has always been commercially successful but never to this extent. Expectations for BotW 2 will be huge, I'm very curious to see how that game will perform. Awakening has performed quite well so far, even though this chart only includes new entries I felt the game was worth including for time sake. Might spit it afterwards.

NINTENDO HARDWARE SALES
1RnJFBN.png

Even after three years, the turnaround from the WiiU to the Switch is still amazing to me.

All graphs based on OP.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Celine Out of curiosity, you keep an archive of other Publishers' figures as well? Ask in light of CDPR just giving us data for TW3 (28.3M sell through 2019 I believe). I think I've seen you post SquareEnix data before so I take that as a yes.

Also, new White Book out soon, correct?

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
m051293 I do have a spreadsheet with other publishers data but it's not so thoroughly complete and I'm not updating it frequently.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to say I still use this thread frequently. It's a nice overview and makes it easier for me to look up sales. Thanks for the effort Celine!

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
TOP 3 GAMES PER CONSOLE
AUIomqa.png

aleqejC.png

2D MARIO SALES
yJn1vNo.png

A bit surprising how Mario Maker 2 did in comparison to NSMBUDX. I personally expected the game to take-off after the success of the original and the widespread popularity of the Switch, but it wasn't the case at all. Might be one of the franchises with the least growth factor from the WiiU > Switch transition (Mario, Zelda, Smash, Kart, Kirby, Party, Tennis all saw substantial increases in comparison). Game will probably still receive additional content in the form of free updates, but I think sales are probably capped around 8-9 million.

3D MARIO SALES
U0gpxnu.png

There are some rumours of a 3D World port and it's likely Nintendo is not too far from a Odyssey sequel either, so I will be interesting to see how far Odyssey will be able to go.

ANIMAL CROSSING SALES
DENPjxB.png

I'm expecting New Horizons to vastly outperform New Leaf when it's all said and done, but during the next Earnings Release there will be only 10 days of sales accounted for. Animal Crossing is the type of franchise with massive legs and with the planned updates & DLC the game should be selling until the Switch era is over.

DONKEY KONG SALES
wWO9aWd.png

FIRE EMBLEM SALES
tENOu5x.png

Three Houses will soon become the highest selling entry in the franchise, consolidating even more the status of Fire Emblem among Nintendo's portfolio.

F-ZERO SALES
ii9I8Y5.png

**F-Zero GX info source

KIRBY SALES
gi0rPWx.png

LUIGI'S MANSION SALES
A1CdZ3v.png

Luigi's Mansion 3 has in my opinion been of the biggest surprises of last year. Dark Moon performed really well, but I wasn't expecting the latest entry to have such staying power in the charts. Game has been consistently charting in most regions since last year.

MARIO KART SALES
eK0we8n.png

No idea how Nintendo will handle this franchise this year. Deluxe is still selling incredibly well but at the same point it's likely they started working on Mario Kart 9 before all this success.

MARIO PARTY SALES
KXJqCdw.png

Another Switch game soon to be the highest selling entry in the franchise. I expected some kind of post-launch support but have the impression Nintendo has been working on a sequel.

MARIO RPG SALES
i7yvEEE.jpg

MARIO TENNIS SALES
IoPqQjN.png

METROID SALES
EycYJ9r.jpg

PIKMIN SALES
mMMVsM9.jpg

POKEMON SALES
B7qMtle.png

16m in 45 days is an insane number, even for a franchise such as Pokemon. Noteworthy how Sword & Shield was able to achieve this even at a significantly higher price. With the model-change from third game to DLC support, it's expected the game will have even higher legs than the previous entries. Wonder if the game will surpass Gold & Silver in the next couple years.

SMASH BROS SALES
HQWm8yN.png

SPLATOON & ARMS SALES
njUVWJ1.png

*ARMS should be Green

STAR FOX SALES
3b5mSbH.jpg

WARIO SALES
ZXK1BfD.jpg

YOSHI SALES
1LSydWS.png

ZELDA SALES
2KgOp1y.png

Of all the charts in this post, the Zelda one is the most noteworthy to me. The franchise has always been commercially successful but never to this extent. Expectations for BotW 2 will be huge, I'm very curious to see how that game will perform. Awakening has performed quite well so far, even though this chart only includes new entries I felt the game was worth including for time sake. Might spit it afterwards.

NINTENDO HARDWARE SALES
1RnJFBN.png

Even after three years, the turnaround from the WiiU to the Switch is still amazing to me.

All graphs based on OP.
It's crazy to me that when all is said and done Link's Awakening remake is going to sell better than most Zelda games.

Graphs about Nintendo franchises sales as March 2020

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Updated as of March 2020.

2D MARIO SALES
BCYSFzN.png

3D MARIO SALES
kR2WO6R.png

ANIMAL CROSSING SALES
hBiCy6b.png

*New Horizons Data is based on official Press Release as opposed to Earnings Data

DONKEY KONG SALES
wWO9aWd.png

FIRE EMBLEM SALES
XbacMNc.png

F-ZERO SALES
ii9I8Y5.png

**F-Zero GX info source

KIRBY SALES
gi0rPWx.png

LUIGI'S MANSION SALES
M74jERh.png

MARIO KART SALES
mokDT8v.png

MARIO PARTY SALES
HpyTWJ8.png

MARIO RPG SALES
i7yvEEE.jpg

MARIO TENNIS SALES
IoPqQjN.png

METROID SALES
EycYJ9r.jpg

PIKMIN SALES
mMMVsM9.jpg

POKEMON SALES
TFJs5EI.png

SMASH BROS SALES
VcBtwpJ.png

SPLATOON & ARMS SALES
Im0NhsC.png

*ARMS should be Green

STAR FOX SALES
3b5mSbH.jpg

WARIO SALES
ZXK1BfD.jpg

YOSHI SALES
1LSydWS.png

ZELDA SALES
6wSdtT8.png

NINTENDO HARDWARE SALES
dLE5y5Z.png

TOP 3 GAMES PER CONSOLE
eGbU5h7.png

kO8lxCE.png

All graphs based on OP.