• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
This post won't be updated here anymore.
Click here to visit the page where the data will be updated from now on.

It was made abundantly clear that this place [the staff or part of it] don't have regard for the efforts it takes to compile data nor understand that it's the aggregation of a small group of dedicated people that matter (after all it's a pretty niche subject!), not the platform which is just an empty host.

UPDATED WITH DATA UNTIL JUNE 2021

Note:
It's shipment data provided by Nintendo itself directly from Nintendo's Public Relationship department, Nintendo official site or other reports which used Nintendo's shipment data.
Sales included in the lists pertains:

- Games published by Nintendo which shipped more than 1 million units.
- Only original game releases are considered (for instance the sales from re-releases on Virtual Console or retro mini consoles aren't include).
- Digital sales are included only for the games that had a digital version available at the time (basically since WiiU/3DS and beyond).
- Digital only games are excluded.

For games released on NES, GB/C,SNES, N64 their LTDs could be considered as definitive.
For games GBA and GC their LTDs can be considered as definitive, top 5 games for each are updated as March 2013 while the rest I suspect is updated as a period between 2009 and 2011 (despite the report citing December 2014).
Note that while the report cites the figures are update as December 2014 I believe this is true only for WiiU and 3DS.
For GBA and GC I believe they are updated as 2009-2011 (after that I think they were considered legacy hardware, some games like Pokémon shipped a few more units after).
Shipment figures updated "as March 2013" came directly from Nintendo.
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask total shipment outside Japan as September 2015 was reported directly by Nintendo.
Hyrule Warriors (WiiU) and Pokkén Tournament (Wiiu) have both shipped more than 1 million worldwide but Nintendo was the publisher for these games only outside Japan and outside Japan these two games didn't cross the million bar therefore they aren't present in the WiiU chart:
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201501/27070268.html
http://bandainamcoent.co.jp/corporate/press/release/62/pdf/20160818-1.pdf
I'm going to keep this thread updated with new, more updated data.
I will usually update the thread yearly (around May each year since it is when Nintendo reveal the results for the full fiscal year).

Note about Pokémon:
Take with a grain of salt Pokémon Yellow and Crystal sales presented in the Game Boy list because contrary of the rest of the entries these two are estimates.
Nintendo's official word is that Pokémon Red/Blue/Green, Yellow, Gold/Silver and Crystal combined have shipped about 76 million units worldwide.

Please take the combined figure instead of the single entries for Pokémon Yellow and Pokémon Crystal if you need an official source.

Hardware data is shipment data provided by Nintendo itself as June 2021 (except Virtual Boy, see note below).

Most of these figures can be considered close to definitive with the exception of 3DS and NSW of course.

GB contains GBC sales units as the two are considered one single platform by Nintendo.

Every figure is in million of units.

Include bundled units and downloaded units (for the games which had a digital copy at release so from 3DS/WiiU on ward).

The first wave in the Classic NES Series / Famicom Mini Series / NES Classics for GBA have sold in total 3.92 million units worldwide as September 2004.

Pokémon Red / Green / Blue / Yellow / Gold / Silver source:
life.oricon.co.jp

約4年ぶり! ポケモン完全新作が2010年内発売へ

約4年ぶり、ポケモン新作2010年内発売 ■そのほかの最新写真ニュース一覧はこちら 任天堂は29日、人気ゲーム『ポケットモンスター』シリーズの完全新作を2010年内に発売すると発表した。同日、都内で開かれた同社の2010年3月期第3四半期決算説...

Game & Watch data source:
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/clubn/game-and-watch-ball-reward/0/3

Color TV Game 6/15 data source:
Nikkei Electronics May 9, 1994 issue "Famicom Development Story."
http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/special/20080929/1019222/

NES Classic Mini data source:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04...llion-units-worldwide-before-its-cancellation
SNES Classic Mini data source:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180426e.pdf

Hardware

Videogame Console with interchangeable software** (in million of units):
bnmWaux.jpg

Note: Virtual Boy total shipment is until March 1996. So may not be definitive as the system was discontinued in the fiscal year ending March 1997.

* What is referred as "First-party software" is actually an approximation calculated by summing every million-seller.
Since most Nintendo games sell at least 1 million units it should be a close enough approximation.

** Only software which has physical version is considered.
If a game has a physical version and a digital version then it is included but if it is digital only it is excluded.

LSI Game Console (essentially Pong clones)
BBpvwrz.png

Note: More than 70% units sold were Color TV Game 15 consoles.

Game & Watch
riEHysE.png

Plug & Play Retro Console
DeDNp0q.jpg

Note: Combined NES Classic and SNES Classic have shipped more than 13 million units as December 2018.
The sales figure above refer to the last time Nintendo gave specific update for the single console.

Software

Home console
0MzEdDw.jpg

s2Vu2kw.jpg

NdpmyZc.jpg

SRhANDX.jpg

rKWA7Ai.jpg

LqbpkbE.jpg

Handheld console
li4501I.jpg

wmqeZLh.jpg

LYZKo65.jpg

GN4nTIg.jpg

Hybrid console
yM63C9R.jpg

Grand total:
As of June 2021 Nintendo has published more than 370 million seller and has sold more than 2.03 billion games.
ctpulY4.jpg

Charts:
hmMLibI.jpg

Note that what is referred as "First-party total software sales" in the graph above is actually only the sum of Nintendo million seller games.
Of course some Nintendo games could have shipped less than 1 million units therefore this is really an approximation of "First-party total software sales".
This approximation however should be close enough to the actual value since historically Nintendo games often ship more than 1 million units therefore composing the majority of the software sales sold by Nintendo.

Nintendo Revenue, Operating and Net Income from 1981 to 2021:

7aPyqWQ.jpg

Nintendo Gross Profit Ratio, Operating Profit Ratio and Net Profit Ratio from 1981 to 2021:
n9aXjvr.jpg

Nintendo Digital Sales from 2006 to 2021:
eSFTux0.jpg

Nintendo R&D and Advertising expenses from 2000 to 2021:
EC6Fq7j.jpg

Nintendo website where you can find useful information:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/

This thread is dedicated to Hiroshi Yamauchi and Hiroshi Imanishi.

0q9Cl8F.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Important notification about Pokémon Red / Green / Blue and Pokémon Gold / Silver sales:

As written in the notes of the first port, for a long time Nintendo only gave the combined total sales for Pokémon Red / Green / Blue / Yellow / Gold / Silver / Crystal of about 76 million units sold worldwide.
The figures for the single entries were presented as estimates therefore I recommended to use the combined sales figure if you need to cite official data for Pokémon Red / Green / Blue / Yellow / Gold / Silver / Crystal.

Note about Pokémon:
Take with a grain of salt Pokémon shipment data for Red/Blue/Green, Yellow, Gold/Silver and Crystal because the only official shipment data reported by Nintendo is that all those titles combined shipped about 76 million units.
Please take the combined figure instead of the single entries for those games if you need an official source.

Recently I've come across an article on Oricon which has official figures for Pokémon Red / Green / Blue and Pokémon Gold / Silver:
life.oricon.co.jp

約4年ぶり! ポケモン完全新作が2010年内発売へ

約4年ぶり、ポケモン新作2010年内発売 ■そのほかの最新写真ニュース一覧はこちら 任天堂は29日、人気ゲーム『ポケットモンスター』シリーズの完全新作を2010年内に発売すると発表した。同日、都内で開かれた同社の2010年3月期第3四半期決算説...

■ Reference / Number of new series shipped so far (Pokemon announcement)
"Pokemon Red and Green" Game Boy Released on February 27, 1996
Domestic: Over 8.2 million (Worldwide: 29.04 million)

"Pokemon Gold and Silver" Game Boy Game Boy Color Released on November 21, 1999
Domestic: Over 7.3 million units (Worldwide: 23.73 million units)

"Pokemon Ruby Sapphire" Game Boy Advance Released on November 21, 2002 Domestic: Over 5.4 million units (Worldwide: 16.21 million units)

"Pokemon Diamond and Pearl" Nintendo DS Released on September 28, 2006 Domestic: Over 5.8 million units (Worldwide: 17.15 million units)

* Cumulative worldwide sales of more than 130 million units (including remake version and version difference)
* All figures are as of the end of September 2009

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The worldwide figure given in the article consider Pokémon Red / Green for Japan and Pokémon Red / Blue for the overseas markets but miss the japanese sales of Pokémon Blue which are 2.01 million units.
Therefore Pokémon Red / Green / Blue has sold in total 31.05 million units.

See the below table with sell-in data as March 2000 provided by Nintendo for details:
mtJR506.jpg

I've updated the data in OP for Pokémon Red / Green / Blue and Pokémon Gold / Silver.

For Pokémon Yellow and Pokémon Crystal the figures in the Game Boy list should still be considered estimates and I advice to utilize the combined figure of about 76 million units if you need officially sourced sales figure for those two games.

Last edited:

National Scar

Oct 27, 2017
By far the most surprising thing in this entire set of data is that Nintendo managed to sell 770,000 Virtual Boy units. I had one and played a lot of Mario Tennis on it, but man, that thing was rough on the eyes.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Those N64 vs. Gameboy numbers are why I think a "Gameboy Classic" would be a phenomenal idea for holiday 2018 while an "N64 Classic" would be little more than a curiosity.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Wii Sports a pack-in? Why is it lower than the total Wii sales amount?

Also, Skyword Sword only sound a bit over 3 million? Didn't realize it was that low. :O

National Scar

Oct 27, 2017
Would you be any more surprised if I told you that the majority of that figure was sold-through after the system was discontinued?

I still don't fully agree on the origin of that 770K shipped figure, by the way.

I think that makes sense. There's usually a sense of urgency to pick up something like that once it's been discontinued. Do you think the 770k is too high?

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What these figures tell me is that when Pokemon releases, probably in 2019, and the machine is down to around 250 or maybe lower by then... let's just say the outlook is 'good'.

el3m

Oct 27, 2017
Comparison of software sales first/3rd party are interesting. It seems that peak 3rd party software sales percentage wise was in SNES days as one might guess. Lowest being GB was a suprise to me, since I remember GB being the first system full of "shovelware".

How do they count eshop titles in current systems? I remember reading somewhere that they would only count "titles also available in retail".

Comparison of tie-in ratios would also be interesting - how it has developed over the years and how it differs between handheld/console. I didn't see percentages in OP but quickly glancing it seems NES was around 3:1 and WiiU 4:1

MondoWray

Oct 27, 2017
England
When you think about the manpower and development time needed for the NES titles, the profits on some of those titles must have been astronomical!

el3m

Oct 27, 2017
When you think about the manpower and development time needed for the NES titles, the profits on some of those titles must have been astronomical!

Manufacturing costs must have been higher, but overall it seems that AAA development would have been more lucrative business back then

MondoWray

Oct 27, 2017
England
Manufacturing costs must have been higher, but overall it seems that AAA development would have been more lucrative business back then
Sure in regards to manufacturing costs but teams were often no more than 4-5 people as opposed to the movie length credits we see now.

When I revisit ZX Spectrum games it always amuses me to see the entire game credited to one person.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very glad to see you'll continue updating your thread. It's the handiest resource for Nintendo first pary sales on the web. Thanks for your efforts!

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So about 3 consoles to go until 1 billion!

1983 is when I joined this planet, I feel so special.

Rellik

Oct 28, 2017
Great thread Celine! And hoping that NSMB Wii ends up selling more than the DS version and 3D World selling more than NSMB U :D

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Comparison of tie-in ratios would also be interesting - how it has developed over the years and how it differs between handheld/console. I didn't see percentages in OP but quickly glancing it seems NES was around 3:1 and WiiU 4:1
Could add it in the future, maybe to replace the pie charts which are quite worhtless.

Cid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo 1st party software ratio on Switch at 56% in the graph.

I would have guessed it higher at this moment.

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Would you be any more surprised if I told you that the majority of that figure was sold-through after the system was discontinued?

I still don't fully agree on the origin of that 770K shipped figure, by the way.
Virtual Boy sell-in LTD as March 1996 was taken from an article in Famitsu (issue 392 page 8) which indicated that the shipment split between Japan and abroad was respectively 140K and 630K.
Basically every year Famitsu had an article that talked about consoles sell-in data during the previous fiscal year citing data provided by the japanese console manufacturers themselves.
Of course I have cross checked the data brought in by these Famitsu articles with other sources and they seem to contains the "real deal" (sell-in data by the console manufacturers).
Retrieving these Famitsu articles I'm talking about was of extreme importance because they provide yearly sell-in data for many consoles in the period between 1991 and 1997 which are otherwise unavailable due to the console manufacturers exiting the console market in mass in late '90s/early '00s (Sega, NEC, Panasonic, SNK) and never providing publicly their console LTDs in recent years (when Internet become widespread).

Here a big scan of the article in question (Famitsu issue 392 page 8):
http://i.imgur.com/hXXa6DE.jpg

Speaking of which it would make sense to create a Retro Sales ERA Thread.

MrGab

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Nintendo would one day reveal games that sold more than 500k at least

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Amazing how well the 3DS has recovered after the awful launch. it could make half of the DS lifetime after this holiday

Deleted member 62

Content removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well done OP! Doing great work here!

So Fates:Birthright/Conquest has indeed sold more than Awakening to be the highest selling Fire Emblem game(s?), and that's without the sales of Revelation and the special edition I assume?

May yet get to 2 million before the Switch version happens. Impressive.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for collating all of these numbers, Celine. Really interesting to see how the different products compare, and it makes you realise just how much stuff Nintendo have sold :)

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
I had no idea that Nintendo still shipped Wii software. I must say that I find it impressive.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Heh, amuses me that Wii games are still being tracked in 2017.

Always wondered a bit what the actual split was between Game Boy and Game Boy Color, since they were essentially spread over two console generations. Also would be interested to see the split before and after the release of 1st gen Pokemon.

Impressive Threead! Thanks OP!

The Wii was crazy. Imagine what could have been with 3rd party support.
According to these numbers, the Wii sold like half a billion 3rd party games. It had tons of support.