• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Nintendo sold over 2.6 million units of hardware (Switch, 3DS, SNES Classic) in the US during December 2017 according to company PR released today. This accounted for more than half of all hardware sales during the month.

See the data below.

Nintendo Switch sold more units in December than any other video game system, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. Holiday shoppers purchased 1.5 million Nintendo Switch systems during the five-week reporting period of December, which is a critical month for the video game industry. Since its launch 10 months ago, Nintendo Switch has sold more than 4.8 million units, making it the fastest-selling home console in U.S. history.

The Nintendo 3DS family of systems also demonstrated continued strength, posting its best sales month since December 2014. Collectively, the different versions of Nintendo 3DS hardware sold more than 750,000 units in the U.S. in December, a 27 percent increase over the same period a year ago. The sales also pushed the Nintendo 3DS family of systems to a new milestone of more than 21 million sold in the U.S.

Four Nintendo Switch games finished high on the December sales charts for individual titles: Super Mario Odyssey at No. 3, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe at No. 4, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild at No. 9 and Splatoon 2 at No. 16. Additionally, Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon for Nintendo 3DS finished No. 13 and No. 14, respectively.

Source: https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...ntendo-News-Nintendo-Switch-Tops-December-U.S.

Last edited:

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I think that implies the SNES Classic sold 350k too, since 3DS and Switch make 2.25 Million out of 2.6

Otherwise, good performance all around for the big N.

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm super happy at the Switchs continued success but I'm more shocked at how good the sell numbers are for the 3DS still. Gat Dayum!

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Lol and some of you guys want to bury the only true handheld left already. 3DS means Long Legs.

Asmar

Oct 27, 2017
It is really good to see Nintendo doing well, I expect 2018 to be even bigger, specially with N64 Classic

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
We need some sort of Kimishima money meme now

I know it's out there is one of your beautiful twisted minds

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
One day when the price point is appropriate all those 3DS owners are going to transition to the Switch.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah 750k for 3DS is really impressive too. I wonder what was the main driving force in that? The price? The 2DSXL? Pokémon Ultra games? The library as a whole? I dunno when I look at it I'm just surprised there were that many people who bought one in this one month who were not convinced in like the previous what 60/70 months?

Switch sold 1.5 like estimates put it at. Also impressive.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Crazy good for Nintendo! And holy shit at those 3DS numbers, I wonder what the final sold units will be for 3DS.

As for Switch, what number do people think it's at now?

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
It fascinates me that, even with the Switch, the 3DS is still growing and, alas, has achieved it's best momentum since 2014. Great numbers, but maybe next year won't be the same, as the focus continues to shift to the Switch.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still remember the days when people claimed that a dedicated handheld like the 3DS has no place in a post-smartphone world.
They were clearly right
/s

Deleted member 21693

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo proving all "3DS is dead" posters wrong, again.
Some people really don't understand how this market works.

Oct 26, 2017
Great sales for everything! 750k 3DS is impressive given how old it is. The prices and the software catalog must've been helping it sell.

rokero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
3DS doing great is awesome news, can't wait to see what we get for 3DS this year I hope those Link's Awakening rumours turn out to be true

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
3DS could keep selling for years, in theory, just like the PS2 did. There's always a strong market for cheap last gen systems for kids and late adopters.